Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    SyncBeforeReset hack saves all unsaved data from DBCache to NVFS volume before reset.

What hack does? Hack patches SysReset syscall and saves all unclosed databases. It can be useful to preserve unsafe database like zlauncher or preference databases from crashing.

You can check what hack does with following steps:
    1. Open Memos and create new record (don't close record view!)
    2. Reset you device programmatically. I used ZLauncher Launch Anywhere to make reset.
    3. Check for new record. Oops, there are no new record.
    Repeat those steps with active hack and fee the difference.

Hack there: http://yahm.palmoid.com/SyncBeforeReset.prc
    Yahm there: http://yahm.palmoid.com
    If this were a standalone app (no need for hack managers) I'd use it in an instant.
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    Yeah, no hacks on my Treo.
    Last edited by khaytsus; 12/20/2005 at 08:27 AM.
    I already YAHM to SupressKeyClick. I installed it, looks good so far.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I've been running SyncBeforeReset for a few days now, no problems. My Treo has been getting more stable all the time with the 1.17 update, Butler & VolumeCare upgrades, and now SyncBeforeReset. Here's hoping the good stuff keeps coming. Thanks Igor, love your programs/hacks.
    Last edited by ghuber; 12/23/2005 at 07:39 PM.
    Communications is the toughest thing we do.
    unlocked Cingular (GSM) Treo 650, 1.51 firmware, 1.17 CNG software
    Igor,

Will your hack prevent the saved and unsaved preferences (a bug that has yet to be fixed) from being erased after a soft reset?
    Igor,

I've been using Yahm beta for quite sometime now without any problem. Do I still use this or the current version you provided on your first post?
  8.    #8  
    Hack closes all opened databases including Saved and Unsaved prefs. Unfortunately I have no one lost database about one month, so I can't say definitly about total pref saving. Just try.

You can use any YAHM version. No nedd to upgrade or downgrade it.
    OK, I've been using YAHM and SyncBeforeReset for awhile now, but I lost SavedPreferences today. I had been solid for about a month... but was playing around with Blazer and Versamail today and coming out of them I got a crash/reset that lost all Prefs. Fortunately I have backups, but...........

Is there a known prob with Blazer and/or Versamail that is causing this?
    I have been using this hack since the 19th and haven't lost the pref even once. kudos to you, I used to loose them every few days and would have to restore a backed up copy which I think causes further instability.
    Treoing & Loving it
  11.    #11  
    New version 1.1 at http://yahm.palmoid.com/SyncBeforeReset.prc . New version covers more reset cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    I have been using this hack since the 19th and haven't lost the pref even once. kudos to you, I used to loose them every few days and would have to restore a backed up copy which I think causes further instability.
    I, too, had been using this since the 19th, and today's was my first loss of prefs. I'll now try ver. 1.1. Thanks Igor.
    i downloaded v1.1 and still no problems with my treo, this must be the one piece of software that must be installed if you are planning on using 3rd party software.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_n
    SyncBeforeReset hack saves all unsaved data from DBCache to NVFS volume before reset.

What hack does? Hack patches SysReset syscall and saves all unclosed databases. It can be useful to preserve unsafe database like zlauncher or preference databases from crashing.
    Do ALL crashes result from SysReset call? What types of crash-n-burn situation isn't covered by this hack?

Why doesn't the POS do this on it's own? It makes sense, logically, to close open databases before delberately resetting the device (using OS calls) everytime ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Do ALL crashes result from SysReset call? What types of crash-n-burn situation isn't covered by this hack?

Why doesn't the POS do this on it's own? It makes sense, logically, to close open databases before delberately resetting the device (using OS calls) everytime ...
    Only deliberate crashes result from the SysReset call. e.g. when you go to launcher x or z-launcher and select reset from the menu.

Resets resulting from crashes are not likely to be covered
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    I see.

It makes even more sense for POS to close and save databases after a deliberate reset (like you described). Why doesn't it?

In other words, I think this hack should be unneccessary by OS design (but apparently, it's not).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  17.    #17  
    All fatal alerts like "underlocked chunk" or "non-wrapped handle" goes through SysReset. Several crashes goes through HALReset (it's a low-level reset syscall, SysReset calls HALReset).

I can insert simple output with wait cycle into hack to ensure that reset goes through hack code.
  18.    #18  
    http://yahm.palmoid.com/SyncBeforeReset_1_2.prc
    this version types all opened files and draws 5 sec coundown timer. Please ensure that it shows on unexpected crashes.
    so far so good, no lost preferences with the latest build. However 5 second count down gui should be improved.
    MFB - how often were you losing prefs before using SyncBeforeReset and were the lost prefs resets predictable?

Just curious since I've lost track of your experience and my Treo never showed a clear pattern of when it would happen. Because of that, it's hard for me to tell when something like SyncBeforeReset is actually helping or not.

I haven't had one in two months so I can only guess that my combination of dbCacheTool and Resco Locker seems to be working. That said, my November reset was after I had dbct and rl usage stable, so that must be another scenario that I don't have covered.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast