Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I would sometimes lose saved preferences when I run out of dbcache while doing a verification after a back up with rbackup. However, the resets stopped when I upgraded to 1.71/1.20 APR.

I also lost preferences when I first installed the call filter beta (i had pref doctor enabled at that time). So far, I haven't lost preferences even when I try to duplicate the scenario with Igor's latest build.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB
    so far so good, no lost preferences with the latest build. However 5 second count down gui should be improved.
    There are no difference in reset handling between 1.1 and 1.2, just a UI screen. If you don't need for UI you can return back to 1.1
    1.2 increased the timeout to 5 seconds so hack can capture all types of resets right?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    MFB - how often were you losing prefs before using SyncBeforeReset and were the lost prefs resets predictable?

Just curious since I've lost track of your experience and my Treo never showed a clear pattern of when it would happen. Because of that, it's hard for me to tell when something like SyncBeforeReset is actually helping or not.

I haven't had one in two months so I can only guess that my combination of dbCacheTool and Resco Locker seems to be working. That said, my November reset was after I had dbct and rl usage stable, so that must be another scenario that I don't have covered.
    Really the proves of hack working is under Heisenberg uncertainty principle: yahm with hack brings own nuances to device stability .

I don't use dbCacheTool, it was the fastest way to lose ZLauncher's prefs for me. For now I have no need for RLocker, there are no apps need for lock.

But I got crashes when I'm debugging my programs on device. An idea of hack was born when I lost ZL prefs again. After 1.1 I have no problems with lost files on sudden crashes.
  5.    #25  
    1.2 increased the timeout to 5 seconds so hack can capture all types of resets right?
    No. 1.2 brings UI screen with list of opened files and 5 sec delay to show list to user. Nothing more.
    I would sometimes lose saved preferences when I run out of dbcache while doing a verification after a back up with rbackup. However, the resets stopped when I upgraded to 1.71/1.20 APR.
    Thanks for the update. Good to hear things have stabilized for you.

Igor - Ok with you if I had some comments on SyncBeforeReset to this faq? It seems that SyncBeforeReset is another worthwhile app to mention there in addition to PrefDoctor.
  7.    #27  
    Yes
    Thanks - it's done. Feel free to comment and/or edit as needed.
    I had a reset caused by CallFilter and SyncBeforeReset caused my Treo to hang. It might be due to the 5 second count down. I reverted back to 1.1 and all is well.
    According to http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...postcount=2099
    switching off the screen is supposed to save NVFS files.

Isn't that enough to do before initiating a soft reset?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    while that may be the case sometimes you do not have a choice if a program is causing an unsuspected reset.
    Treoing & Loving it
    I thought this tool was useful only for manual resets

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&postcount=15
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I thought this tool was useful only for manual resets

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&postcount=15
    per pointed thread
    "Resets resulting from crashes are not likely to be covered"
    Treoing & Loving it
    That's my point: This hack saves the files when Sysreset is called. So, only intentional, program initiated reset's (like Softreset, Resco Explorer etc have as a menu item) are covered. Unexpected resets will not be covered in this case.

Why not turn off-on the screen before doing a program-initiated soft reset?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  15.    #35  
    http://yahm.palmoid.com/SyncBeforeReset_1_3.prc

* an attempt to fix hack hangups
    Still hangs with some resets. Also experienced 2 resets with the hack not catching it. Happened while browsing in Blazer online.
  17.    #37  
    http://yahm.palmoid.com/SyncBeforeReset_1_4.prc

* closes prefs db before second open
    Is 1.4 the latest release Igor?
    Have the hangs been fixed? I just installed 1.4 The resets stopped and it seems to be working fine. Been having continuous lost preferences today. I hope the app works to fix the problem.
    Can you make 1.4 like 1.1 (without 5 seconds)?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast