Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I'm almost a total n00b, and will be loading a totally stock phone with some good apps this weekend. Can anybody give me a list of these essential apps that play extra-nice with the Treo 680?

If any are trustworthy freeware...that would help my budget. I don't mind paying for good apps...but a little break wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks a lot!!
    Here's my essential list that doesn't bog down my 680:

2Day - Awesome today page with hidden features like Menu-B to turn on/off Bluetooth without installing resource hogging programs like BtToggle.
    SplashID - Stores all my PW's
    Resco Backup - Daily backup
    PalmInternal - Check for hede's and speedtest
    YAHM w/ TreoKeyHack & SmoothScrollHack - Makes scrolling faster, adds selection/copy/paste/kill beeps/volume button to scroll up/down. Absolutely no speed decrease compared to other products.
    AtomClock - Automatically sync my clock on a daily basis instead of using the Treo automatic time sync.
    ResetDoctor - Set Treo 680 to switch to T-zones automatically after reset & Crash Log
    PhoneTechnician - Primarily soundbooster, but the other options are nice.
    Chatter - Best email program!

Most of them are demo's, but I'm slowly purchasing em 1 by 1 as they expire.
    2Day - Can't live without this one
    Initiate - Hands down the best launcher for a smartphone can launch any file even from within 2day app
    Splashmoney - Best Finance app IMO
    Xiino - Best all around browser
    SplashID- best outline password program IMO
    File Manager - Best file explorer app IMO

*Honorable Mentions:
    NVBackup - saved me many of times and its free too best backup app IMO
    Google Maps
    Trip Boss - I travel alot
    TomTom
    TCPMP
    Teal Auto
    Snapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Loden View Post
    ResetDoctor - Set Treo 680 to switch to T-zones automatically after reset & Crash Log
    I have the 680 and ResetDoctor, but am still defaulting back to T-Mobile Internet after each reset. Are there any special settings in ResetDoctor that I'm missing that makes yours work to switch to T-Zones after reset?
    Update 6:
    DialbyPhoto
    Resco Neews
    Docs to go
    pTunes
    Audible
    SnapperMail
    adarian money is the best the current up dates rock
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    Here are my most necessary apps:

Aeroplayer
    Resco Backup
    Resco Explorer
    TypeRight
    CallFilter
    KeyShades
    CallRec
    SnapperMail
    TealPad
    CryptDrive
    Blazer

Well, not six, but all they are really needed

Check out YAPS to store passwords. I've used it for years....great program and freeware (though I'll definitely be sending a donation.)
    I use YAPS myself, though I do wish for an update to better support 5-way. It pretty much doesn't in the current version (2.5). I'll be happy to donate if it is updated for 5-way support. Still, the program does exactly what I need it to do, so I'll continue to use it as long as it still works.

As for the rest of my list:
    Google Maps
    MobiPocket
    Pocket Tunes Deluxe
    YAPS
    FontSmoother
    PalmRevolt
    TreoLauncher
    NVBackup
    (yeah, that's more than 6, but I group TreoLauncher, FontSmoother, and PalmRevolt as 1 since they're all "look and feel" apps)

I'm not including the built-in apps in the list. Strangely enough, I use VersaMail and the built-in calendar app. I have paid for and used Snapper in the past, but I don't like how it turns on the screen for scheduled downloads. I have also paid for and used Agendus, but I wasn't using any of the advanced features to make it worth keeping updated and installed.

I'm using GoodLink for work email and calendaring, but I don't count that as essential because that depends on your employer's email solution. Yes, it is essential for integrating with work for me, but that's not useful for someone else who can't use GoodLink.

Other apps I have that I don't consider truly essential are
    Butler
    Audio Gateway
    McPhling
    4Cast
    Dir Assist
    pssh
    Docs to Go (might be essential, but I don't use it a lot to make the top 6, and it is usually an "included" app with Treos anyway)
    NeoCal
    Instant Messenging (the one provided through AT&T)
    Music Tones
    Opera Mini (and the required IBM Java)
    Kinoma
    HandZipper Lite
    FileZ (essential to get GoodLink working the way I wanted it to)
    Files (probably redundant with FileZ)
    Bejeweled2
    Patience
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    my list of 6 is.. (in order)

1 4cast
    2 flight status
    3 pdanet
    4 ptunes 4.03
    5 ringo
    6 skinner

7 verichat!

I'm surprised not to see many dictionary programs. I couldn't live without mine. I guess you guys spel better than me.

ET
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Ok here goes, if I could only choose 6, my choice would be:

Datebk 6
    SplashMoney
    SplashID
    BackupMan
    eReader
    TomTom 6

Just for a different perspective my GF has a Treo 650, hers are:

Datebk 6
    SplashMoney
    SplashID
    Pocket Tunes
    WomanPlus
    BackupMan
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    These programs should be on everybody’s Treo (unless *) all others = No excuses!

Splash Photo
    Resco Explorer
    Resco Back up*

Butler
    Phone Technician
    Volume care*
    Mobile Stream Card reader

Salling Clicker
    Softick Audio gateway
    EZ Remote*

Dio player
    TCPMP
    Kinomma player *

Documents to go
    Tom Tom navagation *
    True Term*

Opera Mini
    Mailer* (A Replacement for Versa mail of which I removed. No good can come of that program other than resets for the Treo 650 or delays for the 700p)

2Day - Awesome today page with hidden features like Menu-B to turn on/off Bluetooth without installing resource hogging programs like BtToggle.
    Resco Backup - Daily backup
    PalmInternal - Check for hede's and speedtest
    YAHM w/ TreoKeyHack & SmoothScrollHack - Makes scrolling faster, adds selection/copy/paste/kill beeps/volume button to scroll up/down. Absolutely no speed decrease compared to other products.
    AtomClock - Automatically sync my clock on a daily basis instead of using the Treo automatic time sync.
    PhoneTechnician - Primarily soundbooster, but the other options are nice.
    Chatter - Best email program!

If for no other reason Phone Technician is a good choice because it’s small, lets you select Mp3 ring tones and does not require you import your SIM cards contacts to the Phone like Ringo does in order to get it to work.
    Go to www.tryda.com to Login/Register to load this old time favorite FREE for Palm OS. Looks like WM version is planned.
    FastFrank
    Bronxboy, was your signature video recorded with Rapid Movie? :-)
    RNS:: software for your Treo! www.ranosoft.net/treo
    Sadly development has ceased, and now the author made it available as freeware.

UniCMD - the best file manager ever.
    For those who love NC/MC/WinCMD/TotalCMD
    I have been a member for a while, but have not made myself heard too often yet. I have been a Palm user sine 2001 though so I have gathered a lot of software baggage over the years! Here are the apps that I consider to be essential (on my 755P)

Agendus (I have Premier, but Pro is probably enough) - My current favorite feature is the ability to switch items between task and calendar and vice versa.
    Butler - It is my preferred method for regular alarms and I like being able to use Keylauncher from any app.
    Resco Explorer - I once used Megalauncher for file management and launching but it was unstable (for a while) and large. I still have not settled on a launcher sine then... They both group files with their applications which is a nice touch!
    Font Smoother - Things just look so much sleeker - and its great that you can customize the font by application.
    TakePhONE - It's more beautiful and functional than a palm program has any right to be.
    BackupMan - I actually no longer depend on hotsync (nor can I in most instances). Sometimes when I do sync I restore only my contacts and calendar.

This is a great list and I will be checking out some of the apps that I am not familiar with.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast