Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I thought this was supposed to list and describe 6 essential applications... instead it lists and links dozens in popularity. Though the list is useful, it has nothing to do with the subject title.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Toboe
    I thought this was supposed to list and describe 6 essential applications... instead it lists and links dozens in popularity. Though the list is useful, it has nothing to do with the subject title.
    Actuality it has everything to do with the subject title...the list was compiled from the linked thread where people listed their 6 "essential applications". Even though some people went over the requested 6 programs, those individual lists were tallied and put here. So each program on this list was from an original essential list.
    I think the top 6 apps should be reviewed and detailed though. This list is helpful though.
    I think the top 6 apps should be reviewed and detailed though. This list is helpful though.
    Click on the links, you will find all the detail you need. As far as reviewed, they have been reviewed and voted tops (the top 6 and so on). Anymore info you need a quick search would take care of that.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I have to agree. I hardly see an "essential" need for Pocket Tunes. I doubt many companies are outfitting their staff with Treos and making sure PocketTunes is on the company bought software list.

As for the things I'd preload on an employee's phone besides what's on the Palm CD, I'd include:

VoiceDial
    Directory Assistant
    FileZ
    Backup Whatever
    TreoAlarm

TMP
    NothGlide Pak (Uninstall Manager & Cleanup)
    FlightStatus
    PowerRun

PowerUp
    Bonzai
    Adobe Reader
    MetrO

TrackerDog
    e-Reader
    CrashPro
    Softik Card Export
    STOIC

Only the Bold ones would I consider "essential" .

First time I couldn't reach them and they give me the "dead battery" answer, I'd make them either remove all multimedia and IM programs or buy their own spare batteries
    You're missing VolumeCare. Some of your employees may have a hard time using the Treo650's phone without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I have to agree. I hardly see an "essential" need for Pocket Tunes. I doubt many companies are outfitting their staff with Treos and making sure PocketTunes is on the company bought software list.

As for the things I'd preload on an employee's phone besides what's on the Palm CD, I'd include:

VoiceDial
    Directory Assistant
    FileZ
    Backup Whatever
    TreoAlarm

TMP
    NothGlide Pak (Uninstall Manager & Cleanup)
    FlightStatus
    PowerRun

PowerUp
    Bonzai
    Adobe Reader
    MetrO

TrackerDog
    e-Reader
    CrashPro
    Softik Card Export
    STOIC

Only the Bold ones would I consider "essential" .

First time I couldn't reach them and they give me the "dead battery" answer, I'd make them either remove all multimedia and IM programs or buy their own spare batteries
    I guess it all depends on who you ask whats "essential"
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Ptunes supports mp3. wav, wma, and OGG files types. Real player supports mp3, drm'd ra. Plus Ptunes has shoutcast streaming and win media integration. Support for drm wma is also in works in future versions.
    If you plan on doing any of the above or using the other formats that gfunk mentions, then PTunes would be an "essential". And it seems like you also assumed that this list came from an IT department that uses a treo for 100% production. This list came from TreoCentral users that use their treos for a variety of things and obviously from that list, a music device is a top use....

So essential? Not for you...But for those that listed it as one of the 6 apps...yes!
    The way I look at it: Treo 650 out of the box is an adequate phone and PIM/PDA. pTunes makes it a music player and internet radio. It makes it a 4-device-in-one instead of 2-device-in-one for me.

TCPMP makes it 5-devices-in-one by adding video playback.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    This list is great. I'm finding lots of apps I've never heard of. I didn't see HandyShopper in the list. Without that one, I'd be forever going back and forth to the grocery store. Worked great for my Christmas shopping list too. First thing I put on my new Treo. A couple others I would add (and I think these are long discontinued, and hard to find, but still relevant) are How Long (simple program that shows how long till, and since an event), and Parens (multi function calculator, you can set up with your own conversions and formulae). How about Mapopolis, SmartListToGo, Keylink, Megaclock, iSilo, Repligo, and for those that like to hack around a bit, Insider, and RscrEdit. For the Desktop sync, how about NotSync?
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    You're missing VolumeCare. Some of your employees may have a hard time using the Treo650's phone without it.
    VC was on of those I had on the "to buy" list before I received the Treo, based upon reading tis forum, but I have never had volume issues with my [Cingular] phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    If you plan on doing any of the above or using the other formats that gfunk mentions, then PTunes would be an "essential". And it seems like you also assumed that this list came from an IT department that uses a treo for 100% production. This list came from TreoCentral users that use their treos for a variety of things and obviously from that list, a music device is a top use....

So essential? Not for you...But for those that listed it as one of the 6 apps...yes!
    I am just using a literal definition of the word "essential". If the question is what is "essential" to sustain life if you were on a deserted island for 5 years, I would say food, water, shelter was essential.....a bit of wine, opposite gender companship, a Treo w/ P-Tunes and a few other things might be real high on my "desired" list but hardly "essential".

Putting it on a most desired, most rewarding, favorites or whatever list I could see, just IMO "essential" doesn't quite fit with a music player.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    The way I look at it: Treo 650 out of the box is an adequate phone and PIM/PDA. pTunes makes it a music player and internet radio. It makes it a 4-device-in-one instead of 2-device-in-one for me.

TCPMP makes it 5-devices-in-one by adding video playback.
    I find the Treo suitable for a short 45 second movie (like a Dubya flub) or playing a mp3 of a silly song (like horserace) .....but watching movies or listening to music even on a laptop is not something I find kind a like kissing thru a screen door .
    Here are my favorites - in no particular order:

DateBook5 (Can't do without the "Float" calendar feature - Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow?)

SplashMoney (Or other checkbook app - I never bounce checks anymore!)

FileZ (This app is unbelievably useful especially for beaming locked apps, as well as unlocking apps too. I would pay money for this if I had to!!)

PdaNet (This app works very well, and virtually a no brainer for giving my laptop internet access. To this day, I still cannot figure out how to use BT DUN, which I don't care about anyway)

VolumeCare (This app should come standard with the Treo. Worth every penny. What a difference it makes in increased volume!)

KeyCaps (A huuuuuugely useful app for anyone who uses the built in keyboard like myself. Don't have to press that stupid black function button anymore)

If I had to add 3 more apps, I would say Chatter Email for its push email; TealBackup for saving my **** a few times due to hard reset erasures; Directory Assistant is also very useful too.

Casey
    Can someone explain why I would need a backup program, if I'm regularly backing up by hotsyncing to my desktop?
    I always thought the same thing. I got BackupBuddy two months ago. I sync to my home PC. I was at work and a corruption occurred in a program I was using. Instead of waiting until I was home. I deleted the program and restored it from my card and was on my way again in about 50 seconds.

I can also do "checkpoints" which allows me to save all the files as they were on a certain date -- in case I need to go back in time before a corruption. You cannot do this with your hotsync files easily.

Cheers, Perry.
  17.    #37  
    Well, I decided I should add my 6 app to the list since it's my thread

1) Initiate - Launcher from Hobbyist. The learning curve was a bit much coming from ZL, but it is a very nice app! I tried both ZL and I8 before buying and I settled on this one. I use it as my default contacts list, bookmarks and of course launcher!
    2) Butler - Another Hobbyist software. Navigation software, Keyguard, Remote Lock, alarms...a really nice set of apps in one.
    3) Phone Technician - Again..another Hobbyist application for phone ringers etc... Probably the "least" essential of Hobbyist's programs, but it's a nice addition that makes my treo more enjoyable.
    4) KeyCaps - This is a beautiful program. It just makes typing much easier and more effortless. I'm guessing most people have this program and just forget they use it. It runs in the background and is a DEFINATELY must! (and it's free!)
    5) ListPro - I use it for shopping lists as well as any other things I want to jot down (for instance, if I hear a song on the radio I like, I open Listpro and add it to my song "wishlist")
    6) Card Export II - I don't have a card reader so this is a must for me! It's very easy to use and makes it much easier to drag music files and such over to my treo!

Those are my 6 essentials...here's a few more I really like!
    AeroPlayer - Works very well with my hobbyist software and it's free. If you want to play mp3's or aav files, there's add-ons that will cost you. But I play .ogg so I'm good!
    BibleReader from Olivetree - This is awesome! Many of the bibles are free. Some cost though (depending on which translation you want). I have 3 freebie bibles and one pay bible. It's easy to switch and compare translations!
    FileZ - Great freebie for managing files.
    SplashID - I keep it in my RAM and with Butler, I can wipe the memory remotely if I loose it.
    Sudoku Addict by Tealpoint- addicting game!
    Last edited by RicoM; 01/31/2006 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi

what? I couldnt hear ya!

ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Can anyone comment on one of the programs or hacks that is supposed to keep the Treo screen from dimming during a call? I downloaded it but it didn't seem to work. Same thing with Shark message -- maybe I was doing something wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    Well, I decided I should add my 6 app to the list since it's my thread

5) ListPro - I use it for shopping lists as well as any other things I want to jot down (for instance, if I hear a song on the radio I like, I open Listpro and add it to my song "wishlist")
    Can you post a link for ListPro please?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast