1.    #1  
    I just ordered a new t650, and I also ordered a Dane-Elec 1gb SD card. Do I need to buy a card reader to use it, or can it be used directly in my treo? I see that there are card readers out there, so it made me wonder if I had to have one.
    No, you certainly don't have to have a card reader. You can transfer files to your card via hotsysnc if you like. But I would suggest spending the $25 on a card reader anyway. It is MUCH easier and faster to transfer files with a card reader, especially if you're going to do it often. You'll get tired of using hotsync long before you fill up that 1GB card you have If you go very long w/o a card reader, you'll be doing this when you finally do get one.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, I just want to make sure I have everything I need when my treo comes in. I certainly don't want to wind up doing this .
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunky
    Thanks, I just want to make sure I have everything I need when my treo comes in. I certainly don't want to wind up doing this .
    Another option is to get SofTick Card Export. It connects your PDA directly to your PC. That is it connects your Memory Card directly to your PC. You can then just drag files to the card. This is good for music files, and ebooks. Don't try to install programs this way. Let the Palm launcher move apps to the card, or get a 3rd party launcher such as zLauncher to move apps. The OS needs to know that a program has been installed or moved to the card and just moving it using a card reader or Card Export won't do it.

Also if you are going to use Documents2Go you will want to download the Dataviz Tech Tool to move it to your memory card as well. D2G is a little twitchy about being moved to memory cards with third party programs.

And as soon as you get your phone, make sure you have the latest firmware installed before you start installing your other programs, it will save you time. So far all of the firmware patches have been improvements to the system, but they involve doing a hard reset which of course will wipe all of your info and 3rd party stuff from memory. Update your firmware and then install your other programs. You will save yourself a good 30 minutes to an hour this way, especially if you have a lot of programs you want to use.
  5.    #5  
    Good to know!!! I have been doing a lot of reading on this discussion board, so I can get started on the right foot. I have a lot to learn. Bought an awfull expensive devise, and I want to set it up for maximum performance.
    I think a card reader would be better than Card Export. Even though it's another device to carry, USB2.0 card readers just read and write to SD cards alot faster than a Treo 650 connected via its USB1.1 connection and Card Export. Another alternative to a card reader would be to get one of Sandisk's Ultra II SD Plus cards. They are high speed SD cards that can be connected directly to USB ports without a card reader.
    Hotsync will be WAY TOO SLOW, especially if you're transferring large files, even a few mp3 files will take quite a while. I once stayed up for several hours to transfer my mp3 files over. Then, I got a card reader. So much faster. Now things get transferred in minutes, not hours.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Hotsync will be WAY TOO SLOW, especially if you're transferring large files, even a few mp3 files will take quite a while. I once stayed up for several hours to transfer my mp3 files over. Then, I got a card reader. So much faster. Now things get transferred in minutes, not hours.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws