1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm getting a little tired of spontaneous reboots (especially when running Java apps) and situations where I have to hard reset and reinstall everything from hotsync plus the few (mostly registration) steps which need to be performed manually.

I'm wondering if any of the memory-related tools improve stability. ZLauncher looks attractive because I could reduce the total amount of RAM/NVRAM that I use, and perhaps living less "close to the edge". Is DBCache still relevant now that the NVRAM granularity bug has been addressed in most recent ROMs? Any other suggestions (preferably free or cheap) to improve stability?

I have a Sprint 650 with ROM 1.12 and have a 1GB SD card. Usually I have around 2MB free RAM, plus or minus.

TIA ...
    It would help to list what software you have installed. DBCache is still relevant IMO even after the updates.
    I would definitely recommend increasing your free space by moving some apps to your card. IMHO 2mb is a little too close for comfort. Try giving yourself 4mb or more and you may not even need the dbcache tool
    Mobi·gas·mic!
  4.    #4  
    What do you recommend for moving apps to the card? Zlauncher or PowerRun or something else? My primary concern is achieving maximum stability.

Non-ROM apps; * are seldom-used and top candidates for residing on SD card
    Butler
    DataBk5
    Dir Assist
    Full documents-to-go 8.001
    EndNote
    eReader*
    FileZ
    FlashCards (from LingvoSoft)*
    Freedom
    Google Local*
    Graffiti Anywhere
    LD Englsh-Hebrew*
    Lexi*
    Lyme*
    MathCard
    Mendeleev*
    MetroJ1 (A Washington DC suburban bus schedule)*
    MW Calc*
    PalmVNC
    PAR - PRO*
    Plucker
    ReadThemAll
    Ride On (another bus schedule)*
    SiEd*
    Snap*
    SoundRec
    TCPMP
    TextPlus
    TuSSH
    TV Browser
  5. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    ZLauncher is a great launcher for a lot of reasons, and it's handling of card apps is seamless. It's also very stable, which some other launchers are not. Things to move to the card are those that don't need to do anything in the background (i.e. Butler, Datebk5 would not be good choices), and apps that you don't need absolutely instant access to. If you can wait 1.5 seconds for the app to transfer from the card, then you can move it, but if you use it constantly and need to have it pop right up or it will drive you crazy, then leave it in RAM.

Of the ones on your list, the one's I've at some point kept on the card are: DirAssist, eReader, Filez, PalmVNC, and Docs to Go (which cannot be just moved to the card, you need to use the app they provide, DatavizTech, which will still leave a certain amount of stuff in RAM.) A lot of the other apps I'm not sure about because I don't own them, but if the app doesn't need to run in the background for any reason (to get updates, or to change system properties, etc), it should be safe to move.
    For Docs To Go, start with this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=dataviz.
    The other apps you can simply 'copy to card' from the standard launcher. Once you've copied to the card, delete the resident app.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    The problem is that you'll need some space to even load and run Zlauncher to start with
    Mobi·gas·mic!
  8.    #8  
    Thanks, fortunately I hadn't yet installed Java after my latest hard reset, so I had some memory to work with. I now have 14MB free! I refrained from installing the following to the card, because either they need to run quickly on-demand or run apparently run continuously at some level in the background (like Butler and TextPlus) or are pretty flaky to begin with, so I'm reluctant to further complicate matters by placing them on the card (SoundRec).

Butler, DataBk5, Freedom, SoundRec, TextPlus

Lingering questions:
    (1) are the following applications considered to be stable running from the card : IBM Java & associated Java apps, TCPMP?
    (2) are any of the apps listed in message #4 above known to be unstable running from the card?

Thanks ...