Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if it's possible to use the new eyecontact application to add pictures to address book entries if you don't have an eyemodule? Any way to load pictures into an eyemodule database for use with eyecontact without actually owning the springboard?

TIA
    i'm guessing that it looks for the eyemodule database for pictures. if you don't have the eyemodule and it's applications, then you don't have the database and you don't have the ability to add pictures.

By the way, have any of you eyemodule owners tried this yet? I've been ranting (in another thread) about the poor quality of the eyemodule pictures, but this little application might make it come up in my ratings book. I'm still not willing to pay $149 for a camera that puts pictures in my address book though. Besides, most of my friends are ugly! why would i want a picture of them in my visor address book???
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    I'll let you know.

I'm visiting my parents for the holidays. My brother has an Eyemodule, and was quick to install the Eyecontact software when I drew it to his attention.

He seems to like it a lot. I'll see what it looks like in person.
    <pre> ^<br> /_\ WINCHELL CHUNG Nyrath the nearly wise at the Praeternatural Tower<br> <(*)> nyrath@ProjectRho.com http://www.ProjectRho.com/home.html<br>/_/|\_\ ABSIT INVIDIA VERBO IDEM SONANS<br> //|\\ -------------------------------------------------------------------<br>SURREAL SAGE SEZ: I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the<br>universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.<br></pre>
    I believe that, if someone else has the eyemodule software on their Visor, they can beam you the program and any pictures that they have. You could then use them with eyecontact.

I have the eyemodule and just tried eyecontact. It's way cool! Of course, I had to set up address entries for our cat and car, since those were the only photos I had on the Visor!

I'm going to have to take my eyemodule to work tomorrow to get some good shots!!
    Paul

PS - the one drawback I see is this: you want pictures of the people who you meet that you're likely to forget - so how do you politely tell them, "Hey, I probably won't remember who you are, so let me take your picture?" Oh well, minor incovenience...

505 STI
    I've been playing with it, and it's a neat little problem. However, I question how useful it is.

I fully agree with PaulD's comments on the praticalities of the thing. I took pictures of friends/coworkers when I was first trying the program out, and even they thought it was a little weird of me to take their picture for that purpose. I can't imagine what someone I just met would say. The eyemodule itself isn't the world's greatest camera, so you can't snap a picture "on the sly" and have any hope that the image will be useable - you have to actually be pretty close to the subject and hold it still to get a usable picture.

I also worry about how big a memory hog it would turn into if you had a lot of pictures in your contact database.

All that said, it is kind of cool and it's free.
    A little off topic - uh, but not

I sent mail to Kodak wanting to know if they had heard how qewl the handspring was and if they were coming out with a camera for it? No reply - bummer.

Anyone heard anything from Kodak?

Nacro.
    Originally posted by Ash
    Does anyone know if it's possible to use the new eyecontact application to add pictures to address book entries if you don't have an eyemodule? Any way to load pictures into an eyemodule database for use with eyecontact without actually owning the springboard?

TIA
    You can use the "eyebeam" software (available at palmgear.com) to convert FireViewer/ImageViewer images to eyemodule images and vice-versa.
    ----

Sorry--upon further investigation, it seems eyebeam only goes eyemodule to Image Viewer, not the other way around.

[Edited by jenesis on 01-22-2001 at 07:49 PM]
    I'm a college professor, and see at least 30 new faces each semester. It usually takes me half the semester to connect the names in the gradebook to the actual face of the student. I think having a picture of the student next to his/her entry in the address book is a GREAT idea! I take role daily, and have to call out any name who's face I can't remember. IF the pictures were right there on my Visor as I took role, I'd easily know if that person was in class or not. It would also help me learn their names quicker.

I often grade their projects while at home. These are freshmen architecture students, and their grade on a project is partly affected by how much they interacted with me/asked questions/expressed interest. It's easy to do when I know the student and can picture them. It's impossible until I've got their faces memorized. I'm gonna try it this semester. I'll ask the students what they think of the process, and give you a report in a few weeks.

Dave (absent minded professor)
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
    I have the Eyemodule and EyeContact, now I have a good use for the Eyemodule! It works wonderful. Now I'm waiting for MGI's PhotoSuite Mobile Edition to come out.
    I don't have my Eyemodule yet, but I'm getting one. I've got a Platinum Visor, not a Prism. Fireview 16-grayscale photos look pretty good on the Platinum's screen, so I'm assuming the Eyemodule photos will too.

Can I take COLOR images with the eyemodule, then see them in color once they are back on my PC? Will they be in color, but look OK on a grayscale screen, or should I just ignore the color options and shoot all my images as 16 grayscale?

Thanks, Eyemodule owners.

Dave
    DBrown,

You can shoot color on the eyemodule and see them in color on your PC. They look fine in grey on my deluxe. The problem is that the color pics are larger (both in dimensions and in storage size - for instance the 160x120 b&w pics are 9k while the 320x240 color pics are 187k).

I wish I could take 160x120 color pics...

Hope that helps.
    OK, I've got Eyecontact (popular name, search for Eye Contact on the www, you'll be surprised). My eyemodule is on order.

It "looks" like the only time you'll see the picture in eyecontact is when you EDIT a contact. Is that true? I can't verify since I don't have the camera yet.

Also, there should be some way to scan through eyemodule pictures, see one you recognize, click on it and be taken to that entry in eyecontact where you'll find that contact's info. Is there an existing way to achieve this?

Is there any flash RAM on the eyemodule that can be used for picture storage? 16 meg or so there would be greatly appreciated, and make the camera WORTH $150.

Thanks,

Dave
    Eyecontact is definitely cool, as is the the eyemodule. To answer your questions,

1. you can see the picture when just looking through the address book, not editing.
    2. I have not found a way to do this (though I have not used the program that much yet).
    3. No flash ram.
    nacronulidge asked: "I sent mail to Kodak wanting to know if they had heard how qewl the handspring was and if they were coming out with a camera for it? No reply - bummer."

Well, considering that Kodak came out with PalmPix, a digital camera for the Palm (and a rather ugly one, I might add), I don't know if Kodak is willing to spring for a totally different model digital camera as a Springboard module. Unfortunately in Kodak's case, simply changing the HotSync area and creating a (just as ugly) version that snaps onto the bottom of a Visor would, IMO, not be an elegant solution.

[You *like* Kodak digital cameras? I'm sold on Olympus. They have some amazing and great models out there that are actually affordable.]
    <B>Traveliter</B>/ Lani Teshima. 2000: Blue Vdx. 2001: Vpl. Travel writer, <A href="http://www.mouseplanet.com/lani/">MousePlanet.com</A>
    Publisher/Editor:
    - <B><A href="http://www.pilotlite.org">Pilotlite.org</A></B>: Simplify your travel with a PDA.
    - <B><A href="http://www.travelite.org">Travelite.org</A></B>: Learn how to travel with just your carry-on
  15. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Well, I tried installing eyebeam so that I could move images from Fireviewer into eyecontact but eyebeam complains "An eyemodule image database was not found on this device."

I tried installing a copy of the eyemodule software but it said it needed OS 3.5 to run.

I'll try experimenting some more, but it looks like I may be stuck without an eyemodule image database.

Update- I tried installing the conduit to see if that would create the database but I just got a null pointer error which forced a restart. I'm guessing the conduit assumes the database exists instead of creating it if it doesn't.

[Edited by Ash on 01-22-2001 at 06:02 PM]
    Oh no--sorry for the misinformation, but it seems eyebeam only goes one way: eyemodule to FireViewer, not the other way around.

It seems the only way to get eyecontact images without an eyemodule is to have a nice friend who will beam them to you or email you the databases.

17. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    It looks like I could get pictures into my Visor using the eyemodule conduit so I could try eyecontact with pictures, but without the eyemodule database files already installed on my Visor the conduit crashes.

Anyone want to send me an empty set of database files?
  18. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Thanks to a kind eyemodule owner I finally got the .pdb files I needed to fully try eyecontact, but I can't find any way to get pictures into the databases. I thought the eyemodule conduit might go both ways but it looks like a one way deal. Eyebeam also only goes from eyemodule to fireviewer, not the other way around.

Anybody know how to get pictures into an eyemodule database?
    I got the eyecontact program operational without having an eyemodule. Here, in general, are the steps I went through. Note: These steps are not for the faint of heart.
    • Install the eyecontact application.
    • Install the eyecamera application with all its optional plug-ins and optional packages. The main one of interest is EyeCaptureDA.
    • Install the Handspring Photo Album.
    • Using the desktop Handspring Photo Album program, make a new album PDB containing the images desired.
    • Install this new Photo Album.
    • Launch the handheld Handspring Photo Album.
    • Select the album installed.
    • Select the photo desired.
    • Launch the EyeCaptureDA. (I have made the assumption that the reader knows what a DA is and has a DA launcher installed. If not see here. I personally use App/DA Launcher as my DA launcher.)
    • Select Capture Upper Part, and press OK. You now have an eyemodule database which contains the image currently displayed.
    • Launch the eyecontact application.
    • Select the address record you wish to associate the image to.
    • Press Edit.
    • Press Choose...
    • Select the image desired.

Now for the really adventurous, wait for my next installment ... How I got the eyemodule-2 conduit operational.
  20. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Interesting.

I don't think those steps would have worked for me since I have a Visor Deluxe (eyecamera says it requires 3.5 or above). I ended up getting it to work but it involved using the emulator to get some of the apps working (which might work with your plan as well to make the eyecontact database needed). I finally decided it was too much effort for the Visor Deluxe and that I might try again whenever I get a color device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast