1.    #1  
    I'm getting the infamous Chunk over-locked error and my 650 is resetting at least every hour. As most of you may be aware when I took this to the Sprint store they did a hard reset and the error rarely comes up in this default configuration. They said it's "third-party app" related and that I should only use software directly from Palm!

According to the forums here (search on "Chunk over-locked") and at the ChatterEmail forums it is clearly a HARDWARE problem with my device yet Sprint will not replace my unit. I am getting VERY frustrated with the support I'm getting for my 650 from Sprint/Palm. I've had the 600 when it first came out and then the 650 when it came out and have been a satisfied user but now I'm "stuck" with this unusable 650. What am I paying insurance with Sprint for?

Is there anyone who can help me convince Sprint that I need an exchange? I just want a functional 650 but I'm quickly losing patience and may have to consider other options like switching to a PPC device or moving over to Verizon.

Thanks,
    David
    Find another reason to have it exchanged/replaced? There are several possibilities. Just a thought...
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    you have insurance...
    oopppsss i dropped it...
    the car ran over it...
    my dog ate it...
    Quote Originally Posted by pgenneken
    you have insurance...
    oopppsss i dropped it...
    the car ran over it...
    my dog ate it...
    I disagree with this approach, why would you pay a deductible to replace a phone problem that should be covered under manufacturer's warranty? This would be the last possible option for me. Having been through the same thing on my 5th 650 in the past year I can tell you that you need to be persistant. Took three seperate trips to the not so fun Sprint store before it was replaced under warranty. You have to stress that you have hard reset the phone and run it in factory fresh state for a few days and the problem persists (assuming it does). It is not fun, but I would head back to the store and be firm yet polite and ask to speak to a tech directly. Explain that the resets are VERY random but consistant and they continue after it has been hard reset. Let them know that you are not happy that a $600 phone is a huge PITA to use and nearly useless due to frequent resets. Good luck, btdt and it is not fun.
    Things like this, I have a mantra that I keep repeating that usually works for me -

"May I speak with your supervisor". When you get him/her, if he/she doesn't help, repeat as needed.
    Are you sure it's not one of the apps. My Treo crash now and then with just BackupBuddyVFS installed as the only app -- and not even doing automatic scheduled backup or something like that! Removing the app make it stable again!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsprouse
    ...You have to stress that you have hard reset the phone and run it in factory fresh state for a few days and the problem persists (assuming it does).
    I understand this is probably the "proper" way to do this but then I have a 650 in factory fresh status (i.e. not in a "usable" state, with non of the software I use everyday, ChatterEmail, etc.) for several days. Also, even if it does continue to reset in factory fresh state (probably on a less frequent basis and I may not even see the resets) how do I prove it to my Sprint store?

I can't even install Crash Pro to log the crashes otherwise it "taints" my fresh status testing.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by BNOYHTUAWB
    Are you sure it's not one of the apps. My Treo crash now and then with just BackupBuddyVFS installed as the only app -- and not even doing automatic scheduled backup or something like that! Removing the app make it stable again!
    Well I don't think I can be 100% sure but I have done a hard reset (also tried a zero-out reset) and then just installed fresh copies (downloaded from their websites) of ChatterEmail, SplashID, and Crash Pro ONLY and within a couple minutes I started getting the resets. I know Marc from ChatterEmail has a thread in his forum where it seems that ChatterEmail may "reveal" this HW error on a more frequent basis but nonetheless it IS a HW issue.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Find another reason to have it exchanged/replaced? There are several possibilities. Just a thought...
    Yea, I thought about this but come on, I'm an honest customer right now just trying to get a functional unit. I'm not looking for something unreasonable here, should I really have to play this "game"?
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I have been getting these same chunk overlocked resets as well!

My Treo 650 was running great for months, but suddenly it started resetting it self almost every hour. I tried a hard reset and then going back to an old backup I had which I knew was good (I use RescoExplorer's backup facilty), but the problem persisted.

You tried it with only ChatterEmail, SplashID, and Crash Pro? I don't use any of those programs, so I guess we can rule out a specific software as the cause!

I have a replacement unit which should be coming into the Sprint store on Monday. I just told them that I had tried doing a hard reset, and still got the problem. In a couple of days I should be able to say if the new unit fixed the problem or not.

-Jacob
  11.    #11  
    I have a replacement! After 2 hours on the phone with tech support (1.5 hours on hold) and trips to 2 Sprint stores (and 1 escalation to the manager) today I now have a replacement unit (with Hardware Rev B nonetheless). Hopefully, this will resolve the issue, I feel fairly confident it will. I'll provide more details on my experience later if time permits.
    Good job sticking with it. It's a shame you had to go through so much junk to get them to replace your device, but I'm glad it worked out for you.