Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I have a hosted Exchange account working with my Windows Mobile device and when there is a new email the server triggers my phone to do an ActiveSync over the air and I get any emails within 2 minutes at most. I know Chattermail is more like the Blackberry, but this also handles my contacts, calendar, and tasks so it is definitely more advanced. However, I would like to know whether the Treo is capable of this since I would like to get one as a backup phone. If the Treo is capable of using Exchange, will the silent SMS triggers work as well? I like that more than having the device check every few minutes unnecessarily.
    No, the Treo does not support AUTD.
    Is this SMS different that what I've just read on this post? Apparently if I understand it correctly, the old version of Good uses SMS to wake up the Treo and intiate the email pickup.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Is this SMS different that what I've just read on this post? Apparently if I understand it correctly, the old version of Good uses SMS to wake up the Treo and intiate the email pickup.
    It may be the same concept. Here is a link explaining AUTD:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=4048
    I use Snapper and a program called TreoHelper to get SMS triggered mail grabs. You can use Snaper with IMAP and POP accounts. I have the mail server send me an SMS when a new mail message comes in for me. When my phone get the SMS TreoHelper catches the SMS, deletes it, and then launches a Snapper mail fetch. a lot nicer on the battery then having it automatically check every couple minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    I have a hosted Exchange account working with my Windows Mobile device and when there is a new email the server triggers my phone to do an ActiveSync over the air and I get any emails within 2 minutes at most. I know Chattermail is more like the Blackberry, but this also handles my contacts, calendar, and tasks so it is definitely more advanced. However, I would like to know whether the Treo is capable of this since I would like to get one as a backup phone. If the Treo is capable of using Exchange, will the silent SMS triggers work as well? I like that more than having the device check every few minutes unnecessarily.
    Does it really make sense to have all your contact info available to some faceless company? What assurance of privacy do they offer?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott
    Does it really make sense to have all your contact info available to some faceless company? What assurance of privacy do they offer?
    I was concerned about this when I first signed up, and I still am to some extent, but it is not an issue right now. I am only using Exchange with email right now, though I tried the calendar sync as well when the device was fresh (and empty). After I thought about the whole security thing I considered that email is pretty much insecure so I don't put anything in email that I NEED to be private. I don't put anything in my calendar that I object to others seeing as well, and since I don't sync that on Exchange, it is not an issue. I never have been willing to share the contact list there though, nor will I.

They do assue customers in writing that they do not have access to individual accounts, and you can check out the 4smartphone.com privacy statements on their site if you wish.