Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    In preparation of buying TT Navigator 5 I have purchased an adjustable AC/ DC adaptor, and have some questions...

The GPS receiver specs state that the voltage is 4.75- to 6.0.

My charger has switchable voltage that ranges from 1.5 to 12. The nearest to the above is 6 volts.

It also has 7 adaptors that differ in size. Each one has a different set of numbers on them:

5.5 x 2.1
    5.5 x 1.5
    5.0 x 2.5
    4.75 x 1.75
    4.0 x 1.7
    3.5 x 1.35
    2.35 x 0.75

I assume that the first number on each is the actual size in mm. I don't know what the second set mean.

The charger instructions are:

Ensure the current required by the appliance does not exceed the rated current.
    Check the polarity and input plug size match on the appliance (there is a sketch showing the adaptor tip polarity; each tip has a + and - on them).

In short, I'm confused! I assume I set the charger to 6V and select the tip that fits the GPS unit most closely. The polarity thing is a mystery though.

Any help is appreciated.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    One other question:

Is it safe to leave the GPS unit on charge in a vehicle that isn't running for hours on end, i.e. will the charging process flatten the car battery much?
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Bump

I'm not sure about your adapter designations. The polarity issue relates to whether the center electrode on the plug is + (more common) or - (less common). Similar to the + and - terminals of a battery. There should be a symbol on the adapters that looks like a crescent with a dot in the center and + or - signs by each indicating whether the center electrode or surrounding cylinder has + polarity. It's likely that your charger will work at the 6v setting if you have the correct adapter for the TTMkII. I avoided the AC charger issue by getting a small 120v AC to 12v DC converter that I can plug the car charger unit into. They are fairly common and cheap now.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I never noticed that the crescent shape faces opposite directions on the adaptor! Good point.

I've set it up as a + polarity (according to the charging diagram). Hopefully this is the correct set up? I'd hate to fry the battery.

TT GPS was delivered today and I was allowed a peek at the car charger (xmas present from my girlfriend!) so I'm pretty confident that the correct sized adaptor is the 4.0 x 1.7. I now think that the second dimension is the internal hole size of the adaptor.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I also emailed TomTom and their response was:

TomTom can only support our chargers for our products. Are you using a TomTom Bluetooth receiver and you bought a charger for it? If you bought a charger other than TomTom we can not offer support. The output of our DC adapter is 5 volts positive DC for the TomTom bluetooth receiver.

I'm just going to set my charger to positive polarity, 6V and hope for the best