Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I can't seem to copy certain files from my SD card to my laptop. I get a windows message - "Invalid MS-DOS Function". Some files copy fine, others hang with this error message. I've tried using a card reader even using Card export but I get the same error. I'm able to access and use the files without a problem on the Treo.

My only workaround has been able to burn a CD directly from the card then access the files this way - which suprisingly works.

Any thoughts?
    Can you list some file names?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Here are some files that it hangs on when copying an entire folder:

defaults_chunk.pdb (not sure what this one is)
    JHUabx.pdb (Johns Hopkins antibiotic guide database)
    also a seemingly random set of mp3 files (which play fine) and jpgs.

Bizarre?
  4. tmt
    Have you tried running chkdsk on the SD card when it's in the laptop? In My computer, right-click the card, select Properties, then Tools, then "Check now".
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Just tried chkdsk- no errors reported.
    Do you have some security app on your Treo that may be encryting the SD card or something? What's the version of your laptop OS? When you copy only one of the file, it still shows you the same error?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I have BackupBuddy which I think does encrypt files on the Palm as it backs them up - but these files aren't the ones where the error occurs.

If I do try to copy an individual file, such as one listed above, it gives the error.

I just burned the entire card to a DVD and it went smoothly. So then I formatted the card and copied everything back from the DVD to the card, so far so good. I then copied the card contents back to the laptop - the error again appeared. This time on different files.

Is it a bad card? Can I make the Treo format it?
    As long as you have a backup, try formatting it with the Treo.

If it still gives you the same results, then you may have a bad or maybe incompatible card with the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by dok_indo
    ...<snip> I then copied the card contents back to the laptop - the error again appeared. This time on different files.

...<snip>
    Dok, please list the copy command here exactly as you are doing when you are copying the card contents back to the laptop when the error manifests itself.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    It's just a drag and drop copy which produces the error.

After my reformatting and no change - I've almost given up on it.
  11. tmt
    If a regular chkdsk was okay, then I'd recommend trying one with the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" checkbox set, which will attempt to read every block on the SD card. It certainly sounds like a hardware problem in any case.
    It's a problem with the copy command actually, it is simply a matter of fragmentation. Basically the copy command can only write to contiguous free clusters (hence why cluster size is so important) So the larger the file, the more contiguous free clusters you need. Basically your card is currently looking like a picket fence. Check it (don't defrag it) using the Windows defrag utility, which will give you a neat and concise lay of the land. As far as getting all the free blocks in contiguous order . . . you'll have to look around, as windows defrag only puts the files into contiguous order, it doesn't move all of the files to the earliest free cluster like the old MSDOS defrag did. Actually you might want to give that a try. Hope this helped, and cleared up some of that mucky muck. It's an odd problem, but it can be fixed.