Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Being the broke college kid that i am, i am barely able to afford the treo 650, which im getting to organize my life! But looking at everyone they have a tons of app's, and i wonder, how the heck do you afford all of them? I mean some people have HUNDREDS! of dollars in apps... I seen documents to go today, and i think it gives you the ability to CREATE WORD documents on your phone for 40$!!! Its a must have for me but jeez i wish this stuff was free!
    Docs to go is free when you buy a 650 its on the disk
    plus tons of other apps FREE. what types of apps were u lookin for? ( i know free , i mean function)
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I recommend you search around the forum for the applications that you think you will use. You will find that some are freeware. For the ones that are shareware, take a look at FreewarePalm. You might be able to find a comparable application there.

As mentioned above, DocsToGo is free on the CD. Just go under \English\Essential_Software.

Just search the forums...go to advanced, enter "freeware" under keyword, and select "Search Titles Only" from the dropdown menu. You will find plenty.

Yes, I do have hundreds of dollars in software. But you might be able to do the same in the future. Stay in school!
    Last edited by cash70; 12/17/2005 at 05:49 AM.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    That's because many of the people using Treos are career professionals. They can afford it.

To keep software costs down, get only what you truly need and don't get tempted by "fun" software. That will only add to your software budget.

Although you can find some fun software free, like TCMP.
    http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/download

A useful freebie, Treo Alarm.
    http://www.treoalarm.com/home/index

About some free software, check around on the board for STABLE free software because I have heard some free software can cause lots of resets.

And thanks for the link, Cash 70!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Some of us just buy them one at a time and after eight years of palm use they add up.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I download the free trials for all the apps I really DON'T need, but think I can't live without. When they expire and I don't miss them, I don't buy them.

This helps separate the emotion from the necessity
    The Palm software sites like Palmgear, Handango, etc usually have weekly sales. (Try to get onto their emailing lists) That's how I've bought most of my apps. I now have most of my "must haves". The only one I have now that is a keeper but not paid for yet is TreoAlarm. I'm definitely going to buy it but am still waiting for it to go on sale
    Pat

Unlocked Cingular Treo 650, 1.51 firmware, 1.17 CNG software
    I understand the sticker shock, I came from a Zaurus SL5500 running Linux where almost every piece of the software was free ( I did purchase one piece and that was a password safe program).

I think people have given you some good tips. What I've done so far is read a LOT about the software before I then download the free trial. After trying it out for a couple of weeks I know if I really need to buy it. So far the only software I've purchased is 1st-SpalshID, 2nd-Butler. I'm currently trying out volume care since I've started to notice the volume issues more, but it's only been a day or two and I'm not convinced yet.

And of course there is still all the free software, Adobe Reader and Docs2Go on the CD, and TCPMP and others. Just look around, read a LOT of reviews and forums. And try one at a time.

Of course, I'm no longer a college student, but coming from a Linux PDA, I'm very stingy on what I'm willing to pay for.
    Mademan, work hard and study, graduate and get a job. That's the formula for attaining the material goods you desire. It seems that a cell phone has become an entitlement for every kid older than 12 these days, so you are to be congratulated for your fine taste in cell phones.

Seriously, when I was your age I struggled to go to class, study and work two jobs so that I could have the "stuff" I felt I needed. Trust me, many pieces of Treo software are overpriced and useless and hardly stand the test of time. I now only buy s/w for my Treo that I need, not just want. And I can afford just about anything.
    The only software that I have purchased is Uninstall Manager. I thought it was necessary to have a good way of getting problematic freeware off my system safely.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    Mademan, work hard and study, graduate and get a job. That's the formula for attaining the material goods you desire. It seems that a cell phone has become an entitlement for every kid older than 12 these days, so you are to be congratulated for your fine taste in cell phones.

Seriously, when I was your age I struggled to go to class, study and work two jobs so that I could have the "stuff" I felt I needed. Trust me, many pieces of Treo software are overpriced and useless and hardly stand the test of time. I now only buy s/w for my Treo that I need, not just want. And I can afford just about anything.
    Haha thats what i haev been doing this past semester. Unfornately i am working full-time and going to school, and i find it harder and harder to remember what things are due or when i have an exam, or when last minute exams are posted and i forgot! My grandparents are helping ot pay for the treo as they i explained to them it would help me out. Along with the organization part, i want it to control my finances when im on the go. This is a huge investment as i dont have 299$ to toss around, especially as a phone, but i think it can help me with school and work. Haha i still cant afford the stuff i need as i dont make enough to do that... I make a net profit after bills of about 50$
    Quote Originally Posted by mademan118
    Being the broke college kid that i am, i am barely able to afford the treo 650, which im getting to organize my life! But looking at everyone they have a tons of app's, and i wonder, how the heck do you afford all of them? I mean some people have HUNDREDS! of dollars in apps... I seen documents to go today, and i think it gives you the ability to CREATE WORD documents on your phone for 40$!!! Its a must have for me but jeez i wish this stuff was free!
    LOL, I hear you, and it is a matter of choice. I'm a stay-at-home-mom (when I'm not teaching) and I love my gadgets!

So get all the toys (cough, I mean electronics) you want. Being organized definately makes the going easier and sometimes even fun!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    As a fairly new guy to Palm it seems like a philisophical difference to me.
    I find it really weird to get nickel and dimed for every app or basic utility.

It's one thing if you're talking about a CAD package, or niche market professional software, but to have to shell out $15 to open a lousy .zip file stikes me as ridiculous.

My previous PDA was a Zaurus and most of the apps were free. People wrote apps to help themselves and those around them.

The prevailing attitude on this platform seems to be charging $15 for even to most minor apps.
    Many of the software you need would cost between $15 to $30 each, the equivalent of 2 CD's or Movies Or skip the case of beer, one weekend

Or, call Mom, it's part of your college expenses? LOL
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Quote Originally Posted by theloudroom
    As a fairly new guy to Palm it seems like a philisophical difference to me.
    I find it really weird to get nickel and dimed for every app or basic utility.

It's one thing if you're talking about a CAD package, or niche market professional software, but to have to shell out $15 to open a lousy .zip file stikes me as ridiculous.

My previous PDA was a Zaurus and most of the apps were free. People wrote apps to help themselves and those around them.

The prevailing attitude on this platform seems to be charging $15 for even to most minor apps.
    PPC is similar. The more popular a platform, the more people will milk it, I think. But there is still some good free Palm OS software.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    How do I afford the software .....I rob banks on the weekend J/K.....The CD had some free apps and I have found others, heck it's a lot better then Sprint and there pay per month thing...The app is yours to keep and most have a trial unlike Sprint again who charges your account just to try it out......I do wonder about the day I may be forced into WM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    How do I afford the software .....I rob banks on the weekend J/K.....The CD had some free apps and I have found others, heck it's a lot better then Sprint and there pay per month thing...The app is yours to keep and most have a trial unlike Sprint again who charges your account just to try it out......I do wonder about the day I may be forced into WM.
    what sprint pay-per-month thing?
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Take a look at PalmOpenSource.com there are some good programs there.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "It's one thing if you're talking about a CAD package, or niche market professional software, but to have to shell out $15 to open a lousy .zip file stikes me as ridiculous."

I agree completely with this sentiment. On top of this, most of the software is not very good. Too many people around here seem to be either corporate expensed accounted, or so enamored of gadgets that they think nothing of paying $19 for junky software.

Palm OS5 seems to be a lot like Windows 3.1, where it's necessary to spend time, energy, and money to enable some of the most basic functionality. Take something as standard as File Management. It shouldn't be necessary to have to spend time to find and download a free app such as filez. I'm probably going to hang on to the 650 for a while, but I see myself migrating back to windows in the future.
    Start a blog about palm software for students. Then write companies and ask for a free copy of the software to review on your site. Ask them if they will set up discounts for other students.

Serious.

It works, and I've done it.

Besides that, almost every utlity for palm has a freeware or opensource alternative. The two sites above are GREAT resources, as well as google, sourceforge, etc. Developers of open source software are usually really willing to add features you want too.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast