Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Years ago Steve Balmer at Microsoft said he thought Windows was a great value at $99. After buying hundreds of dollars worth of utilities and other software to get similar functionality on PalmOS he is right to a point. You can print for instance without having to buy more software.

But here we all are buying apps for our Treo. Simple math, if you have a $600 phone you don't probably worry about paying rent every month. Handspring didn't give away much but Docs to Go form Palm is a great feature.

Snappermail .... worth it and one of the most expensive, but whats the point of a wireless device without email access?

Verichat ... great if you use IM at all. Also expensive given its yearly, but again, its why you have a 650 for right?

Cell phones are smaller, cheaper, longer talk time, and work better than a Treo yet we still have them. I bought my 650 in October and since have purchased $249 bluetooth headphones (that dont work), TomTom GPS bundle for $300, $150 bluetooth headset, $30 cradle, $30 extra charger (AC), $60 for two car chargers, and $245 in software/upgrades like Docs to Go 8. All of this so I can have an expensive data plan added to my bill and insurance for $6 per month more to protect all of this!

Its 5 oz and I can work from anywhere without my laptop. The Treo gives me freedom. Working for a few minutes while I am with my family is better then being at work all day just to work a few minutes. I thank Mr. Hawkins for the insight to develop the 1st Treo years ago. I work 10 to 15 hours per week now and the Treo is why.

Moral of this story: Smartphones like the Treo make money. Why didn't I think of them first.

Derek
    Was the student asking people to brag about how much they put on the Treo?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. lua
    i started off with palm iiix when it first came out, so by now i have a rather extensive "library" of what are useful (sadly, some are now obsolete). here's the surprise - most of them are freewares! that's what i think is unique about palmos dev community.
    Awwwww I hate when u guys talk about how much software cost. Now that I think about it $200+ is what I have spent on software......
    I'm a student. How do I afford what I have? I only buy what I think I need.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  6. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I think it's the same as everything else -- you afford stuff based on your funds and what priorities you place on things. For me, I have an embarassing amount of Palm software (acquired over 5-6 years), much of which I don't use because it's obsolete or was specific to a PDA I had years ago, some of which I just no longer find useful or necessary. With the Treo being as finicky as it is with NVFS, I try to eliminate anything that's too complicated or RAM-consuming unless it's absolutely necessary.

In my life my computer equipment and software is a high priority financially. It's something I enjoy as a hobby, but I also use it extensively for work. My reputation is based largely on my uncanny ability to have or find anything at a moment's notice, and I do it with my Powerbook and Treo, and a lot of useful software. This gets me hired for other, bigger jobs, which in turn leads to higher salaries. I also don't go to the movies, buy DVDs or music CDs (only the occasional song on iTunes), or have digital cable, Tivo, or any of the other things that most people spend their disposable income on. I'd guess most of the heavy software users on here are here because we're power users and either by need or preference, spend more money on Palm stuff than other things.
    When you pay almost $1000 a year for service, spending $200 a year for software is miniscule.
    My philosophy/system:

I find and install new software every time I see something new on these forums, or I think of a need and search out a solution. This is then how I proceed:

1. If it immediately crashes my system, causes noticeable slowdowns, or nags at me while I use it (instead of waiting for the trial period to near the end), it comes off right then.

2. I then use it for the full trial period. If it expires and I don't miss it, off it comes.

3. If it expires and I miss it, I then start analyzing:
    A. Am I impressed with the developer, is he actively updating and helping users? If yes, then step 4.
    B. I look around the forums for freeware that does the same thing, and start the process over. The only test freeware has to pass is test #1, unless it is a space/memory hog.
    C. Do I really really miss it all the time? Proceed to step 4.
    Otherwise, off it comes, although I may make a low priority untimed todo about it for later.

4. If then I feel like it is worth the cost, I will buy it, otherwise I make a todo and watch for PalmGear to run a sale. I really like programs that are <$10. So far I have kept my costs to about $150 in software, and much of that is for stuff that is directly used for business, and outside the realm of normal stuff that would be expected on a phone. (Time & money tracking, etc.) I also have a nice list of freeware, that I can recommend and beam to new Treo users. I think you will find that much of the volumes of software that many people find indispensable is related to legacy preferences - if you started with a Treo today, you will never care about all of the little quirks picked up using Palms since 1993. Also I remind myself that it isn't a desktop. I can trade off a bit of complexity for speed and straightforwardness.
    Last edited by mtt; 12/19/2005 at 10:31 AM.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
  9. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    When you pay almost $1000 a year for service, spending $200 a year for software is miniscule.
    OMG! I never thought of it that way. I pay over $1400 a year for my service (only Verizon ). That's almost another month's rent. I guess it's not that much more than my other utility bills, and certainly the most necessary, besides the electricity bill which is needed to charge it. But damn!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM
    OMG! I never thought of it that way. I pay over $1400 a year for my service (only Verizon ). That's almost another month's rent. I guess it's not that much more than my other utility bills, and certainly the most necessary, besides the electricity bill which is needed to charge it. But damn!!
    Heheh, how'd I know where you live just be reading the above post. $1400 doesn't cover a single month's rent? EEK!

I look at things on a relative reward basis. And frankly, I get much more utility out of a ton of palm software than I would out of a car that was $200 more expensive. :-) Thus I drive a cheap Corolla and carry a phone loaded with a ton of extras.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "When you pay almost $1000 a year for service, spending $200 a year for software is miniscule."

This is irrational IMO. $200 is $200. The fact that your already spending $1000 elsewhere doesn't change things. It all comes down to whether you're getting your money's worth for what the $200 buys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_treo
    "When you pay almost $1000 a year for service, spending $200 a year for software is miniscule."

This is irrational IMO. $200 is $200. The fact that your already spending $1000 elsewhere doesn't change things. It all comes down to whether you're getting your money's worth for what the $200 buys.
    Right. But you have to put it in perspective. If $200 is too much for software, likely $1000 is too much for service. I'm showing that there is room in someone's mind for software though they may not think so initially.
    Well you NEED some type of service or why bother using the Treo? Software is an extra expense, plain and simple. The Treo and the CD have functional software, people just don't want what it came with because they think 3rd party software is better and more convenient. But I agree that some of the software bought is helpful.

However, I also agree with Tim that an extra $200 is an extra $200. Someone might already be at his/her limit with cost of device plus service.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Someone might already be at his/her limit with cost of device plus service.
    If the device plus service puts someone at their limit, I think they shouldn't have bought it in the first place because you can triple the usefullness by spending an additional 10% on software.

People have an aversion to paying for software because they can't feel it. It isn't "real." That is irrational.
    Not everyone knows that. I didn't until I got on this board. I thought the phone had all it needed. I'm still not sure a ton of software is really needed. Maybe like 10 apps at the most. But I'm not a real power user because I still actually use a laptop.

I have acquired my library of apps over a nearly 10 year period and they have passed through to each new device. Besides the regular PIM apps and VersaMail, RealPlayer, and Docs to Go, my must haves are:

Pocket Quicken
    TSMobile for main frame access
    eReader pro and several reference works
    Pocket Express

Cheers, Perry
    I would guess the majority of treo owners are not students and have additional disposable income to buy the software. You have to get by in college like I did but later these things will come, work hard.
    Device -> 700p
    The device grave yard:
    Newton MP120 -> Newton MP 130 -> Newton 2100 -> Nino 320 -> Palm IIIc -> Visor Prism -> Kyocera 6035 -> Dell X5 -> Dell X3i ->Treo 650
    I just got my treo 650 around 2 weeks ago and I've been thinking the exact same thing. I havent purchased any applications yet, just been using trials. I figured out just getting basic stuff i need like uninstall manager, zlauncher, verichat, ptunes, mayb a one game, xiino, and some other programs is going to be around $150.
    The nickel and diming is bad enough, but Verichat is being awfully arrogant in demanding a fee ONCE A YEAR. It's never nag free. Someday it's going to decide to start whining and moaning again and then refusing to run -- even though you already paid for it! The words "per year" on the website for it kept me from even downloading it -- another app, just as good, is what I'm testing instead.

And people FALL for this crap? It's not THAT good. I refuse to be sucked into a trap where the money-grab never ends.
    what sw titles you think need?
    Treoing & Loving it
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast