Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    T650 and two different BT headsets.. I have both of the headsets working properly.

While in a business seminar, with my treo on, and BT activated, I kept getting alerts from other BT enabled devices.

So this raises the question...what to expect.. When my T650 is paired to my headset will I keep getting alerted of other BT enabled devices?

I understand i can deny pairing with these devices but how does it work?

Also, is there a BT FAQ for the T650 that fives more info then the manual? I am trying to understand exactly what the potential of BT is..what ecactly I can do with it...
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    T650 and two different BT headsets.. I have both of the headsets working properly.

While in a business seminar, with my treo on, and BT activated, I kept getting alerts from other BT enabled devices.

So this raises the question...what to expect.. When my T650 is paired to my headset will I keep getting alerted of other BT enabled devices?

I understand i can deny pairing with these devices but how does it work?

Also, is there a BT FAQ for the T650 that fives more info then the manual? I am trying to understand exactly what the potential of BT is..what ecactly I can do with it...
    1) Pairing your Treo with your headsets should be a one-time thing, unless you do a hard reset on the Treo or a headset runs completely out of power. It should have no bearing whatsoever on other Bluetooth devices, although you can only be actively connecting with one at a time.

2) It sounds like your Treo is set to be discoverable. Here's how to check/turn this off:

- Hit the green phone button.
    - Tap the Bluetooth icon at the top of the screen.
    - At the middle of the screen, you'll see a line that says "Discoverable" and a pulldown with choices of yes or no.

I normally set mine on no unless I'm in the process of pairing another device with the Treo (in which case I turn discoverability off again when I'm done with that). Some people prefer to leave discoverability on and turn Bluetooth as a whole off; this only makes sense to me if you don't use it much. If you're looking to take calls on your headset, I'd turn it off.

3) Palm's page on Bt is at the end of this post.

4) Some things you can do with Bluetooth (other than talk on a headset, speaker or car kit:

- send information/files to other Bluetooth devices (like beaming, only without needing line-of-sight and farther away); note: won't work with most Bluetooth equipped Verizon phones--only Treos and maybe their PPC phones
    - chat with other Bluetooth devices (via programs like BlueChat for Palms; PPCs and such would need a multi-platform chatter)
    - run a PowerPoint presentation from the Treo with a device like the Pitch Duo (a unit that plugs into your projector's VGA port)

In most cases, Bluetooth is a cable replacement technology.

Here's Palm's page:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/bluetooth/
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Q, thanks...

I think the extent of the BT technology, for me, and at least at this stage of technology developement will be the headset, GPS and possibly Hot-Sync. This way I can keep the Treo in my office without it having to be right on or near my desk.

I did indeed have it set to Discoverable. Is that like saying my Treo was advertising it's presence to other BT enable devices? And with it off, I more stealthy?
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro