Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    America. Love it or love it. I love it.
    Sarcasm does not constitute an educated response.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Markstanco
    I dropped my Treo phone last weekend, and the face died. I didnt have insurance (they cancelled me after the last 2 phones found the lake within a year) and didnt know it was even available again.

Anyhow, I go in expecting to have to buy a new phone at full price. OUCH. Anyhow the lady says "no insurance?" Nope I said. She then hacks on the keyboard and says "you do now". So she THEN processes my busted phone. Got it for free.

Doesnt that seem a little strange? I mean, if you gert flood insurance for your house there is a 30 day waiting period before a claim. I would think for this VERY reason they would do the same.
    Cingular rep offered me the same thing on a phone my teenager drop kicked across the road because hes girlfriend dumped him. Guess who paid for the phone, yep the kid.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Wow. Now I know why my insurance rates just went up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markstanco
    boohoo. SHE did it as I stated without me knowing. Leeeeet me guess. You would have said "no maam, I dont want to do that. Let me stroke this check for $400ish dollars".

The high and mighty internet board poster.

Whatever.
    I would have asked a manager. The cashier is not entitled to hand out things like that, I think. If she were to offer me money from the register, I likewise would ask the manager. I think you did wrong by accepting it.
    What's funny about this is Lockline must do a test call first and then you still have to wait 20 days..........
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I would have asked a manager. The cashier is not entitled to hand out things like that, I think...
    Following that approach may make you noble, but not following it does not make you a thief.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    Following that approach may make you noble, but not following it does not make you a thief.
    You're right: it doesn't make you a thief. But in the way that not helping someone trapped in a burning car doesn't make you a murderer.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    You're right: it doesn't make you a thief. But in the way that not helping someone trapped in a burning car doesn't make you a murderer.
    I always struggle with that analogy.

I remember YEARS ago when a plane crashed in dc. A guy dove into freezing water and rescued several people before he was overcome by the cold water and died.

He was clearly a hero, but is he a hero to the wife and children he left behind ? I could go either way on that one....
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    I always struggle with that analogy.

I remember YEARS ago when a plane crashed in dc. A guy dove into freezing water and rescued several people before he was overcome by the cold water and died.

He was clearly a hero, but is he a hero to the wife and children he left behind ? I could go either way on that one....
    I would say he is a hero to the wife and children he left behind. Perhaps a foolish hero, but a hero none-the-less. But that is beside the point. I was merely distinguishing between what I'll term "primary" and "secondary" crimes. In the former you take actions to commit it. In the latter, you refuse to take simple, costless, actions to prevent it. I think the emphasis on "costless" distinguishes the hero in your story to a "secondary" criminal. I don't think the man had an obligation to put his life on the line to save someone else. However, he did have an obligation to at least call 911 (for example).
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    we can't feed them all, but we can bomb them all. we do what we can, you can't blame us... )
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12