1.    #1  
    Help! I'm looking for a journaling program (preferrably freeware but I'll pay for shareware if it's a good program).

Any ideas folks?

This is my wish list:

(1) Each entry is not limited to the 455 or whatever character size.
    (2) Automatic dating with option to manually override the date also.
    (3) "Subject" or "Title" option.
    (4) Find function

Please post suggestions and the links if possible.

Thanks everyone!
    Pocket PCs, Palm... next victim, MS Windows!
    I use Pocket Journal, from Chapura, the same folks that made the software that came with your Visor for synching with Outlook. It synchronizes with Outlook's journal function, so you have access to your entries on the desktop. I've been pretty happy with it, it's a great way to track phone messages and calls and meetings. However, it's not free, and I'm not sure it allows you to bust out of the memo's character limit.

Check it out at http://www.chapura.com
    DayNotez by Natara Software. Sold as either stand alone palm app ($14.95), or with a desktop component ($24.95)(stand alone or Outlook 2000 add-in - Outlook add-in does not use the Journal folder).

(1) Each entry is not limited to the 455 or whatever character size.

* Yes, larger than memo sizes.

(2) Automatic dating with option to manually override the date also.

* Yes

(3) "Subject" or "Title" option.

* Subject or Title is taken from first line of entered text.

(4) Find function

* Yes. Both local and global find

30-day trial available from http://www.natara.com/DayNotez

Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    I'm just an average consumer myself... and would recommend DayNotez, too. In addition to meeting your requirements, the ap has shown excellent compatibility with my Stowaway keyboard.

Daynotez has been my favorite application for lazy, contemplative days in the park.

_Off topic__ The only extra feature I'd like to see is the ability to link to a diddle bug sketch. Often my paper journals have turned into combo sketch/poem/journals. I wish Natara's Daynotez had this additional functionality.

(OvaGirl's home away from home)
    OvaGirl,

Have you tried DayNotez along with TealNotes? It allows you to "diddle" directly in any of your DayNotez entries. If you use TealPrint, you can also directly print from your palm the DayNotez entries with the "mixed" graphics. Quite nice. Although viewing or printing the TealNotes graphics currently isn't support on the desktop side at the moment, it is something that I hope to get working in the furture.

http://www.tealpoint.com/ is where you can find TealNote, or off our website.

Enjoy!
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    Bryan,

I can't wait to give it a try! I commend your customer service and have never regretted registering your product.

Thanks, Monica

(OvaGirl's home away from home)
    I normally hate posts like this, but I feel compelled to say this anyway...

I have DayNotez with the Windows Desktop and don't regret a penny I've spent on it.

Monica, thanks for the comment about the Stoyaway keyboard compatibility, and the great drawing idea - I didn't think about that. I've been planning to buy a Stowaway, and you've just confirmed it for me. However, to build on your point about drawing, it would be nice to be able to draw in DayNotez without have to have a separate piece of software that I'm not sure I'd use otherwise.

Bryan, if I may... my request for an improvement would be a password protect feature on the application itself. I let my 12 year old son play games on my Visor (great for supermarket check out lines!!!) and since I do use DayNotez as a personal journal, I'm not sure I want him to see what's in there. I'd like to be able to prevent access t DayNotez while allowing unrestricted access to other applications.

Helen
    Helen,

We did not include the (native) ability to draw in DayNotez because we didn't feel like reinventing the wheel, when it could already be accomplished with TealNotes. It would also add considerably to the size of the application, plus complicate keeping a stable application. We felt that the majority of users would probably not use the drawing ability anyway. With TealNotes, you can add graphics to any program that supports a "memo" type screen, so you get more bang-for-your-buck with it. I understand where you are coming from though. It is an added cost, plus you have to have HackMaster, etc.

RE: Security. It is top on our list for version 1.1 or 1.2. We want to get the desktop released with the features that it currently has working before we concentrate on adding security. It will be a "full" lock on your datafile. If you choose to put a password on your DayNotez file, it will require your password to get to even non-private entries. We really are going to be adding that feature, trust me, so look for sometime in the first quarter of 2001. (Hopefully soon...).

Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    I'm planning to use my journal for private stuff. These apps all sound good. But I checked the Daynotez site and it doesn't say anything about password protection. Does anyone know if it, or any other journal app, offers this?
    Both DayNotez and DayNotez Desktop have password protection. The desktop data is also encrypted.

The products are available as a free fully functional 30 day trials from our site.
    Hey,

Look up Crypto Pad or Cryptopad in palmgear. This is a free excellent program that has encryption, password protection, and can be larger then the regular memo application. I don't know if there is a sync function yet but it is in the works. If the entry is larger then the memo pad size then it will indicate it. This program also has support for colors. Take my word for it, it is great. Have been using it for years.
    Cheers