Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    another nice event from the realm of treo:

after discussing with palm support for about a week, that hotsyncing via cable doesnt work, I finally tried bluetooth hotsync, and voila, it worked!

its great not to have the wire - but then again, I wondered, if the cable-hotsync doesnt work, it must be a hardware defect. I had tried different cables and went through all of it (hard reset, reinstallation, you name it).

palm support though answers: "The problem with the HotSync cable synchronization could either be a defective HotSync cable or poor connection between the handheld and the desktop."

the cable thing it cannot be, as I had tried different cables.

and a "poor connection between the handheld and the desktop"?!?

cable-hotsyncing was working well until some two weeks ago ...

do they wanna sell me for cheap?

tks for any feedback if I should insist on the hardware failure - or if a "poor (cable) connection) is normal -
    I've never actually been able to complete hotsyncing using Bluetooth. It's too damn slow.
    Definetly not normal. If it was me I would want a unit that could sync via the cable.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Sometimes the cable connector contacts can get a little corroded. Paper money is just abrasive enough to clean things up without doing any damage. Rub the contact points on the bottom of the phone and be very careful cleaning the cable contacts. Moving only perpindicularly to the connector and not pressing too hard works fine. Also, wiggle the connector a little as you insert it. Mine did the same as yours and cleaning it up solved the problem.

These things are made in Taiwan and sometimes the air pollution in some cities is bad enough to make it feel like an over chlorinated swimming pool. If a batch of Treos sat in a warehouse in those conditions for any length of time it probably gave corrosion a pretty good start. I think this may have been the source of some of the troubles with SIM cards also.

Hope it works for you and that you don't have a more serious problem.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    tks for the hints. had already tried to clean all the contacts, bend the cable carefully, which had helped with a similar problem in the past.

anyway, called palm again, the guy was very helpful, we went through a complete unistallation and reinstallation again - to no avail.

they'll provide a replacement.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I had a laptop with a bun USB port - oddly enough, one of th eports would work (most of the time) and one never worked.

Don't discount the pc
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    its a brand new laptop - external mouse and keyboard work without problem over that USB-port ...

anyway, I am mr-totally-unlucky with treo.

went this afternoon to get a replacement unit - and got a lemon again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the key F is kind of deaf - have to press like an elefant to get a F or 5 ...

no, I dont give up, I love this phone ...
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    I've never actually been able to complete hotsyncing using Bluetooth. It's too damn slow.
    ehh?? It takes maybe 60s here. Then again I think the Windows desktop wants to backup the entire palm every sync, which JPilot in Linux does on a schedule.