1.    #1  
    I cannot be the only one on TreoCentral to use Mocha Telnet. This program is an amazing product from Mocha Soft. I spend a good amount of time with my family at Disneyland . I can login to our server farm using Secure Shell and do minor to moderate system admin tasks. Things like password resets or permission mods for "emergency" calls. I had a heck of a time trying to learn how to enter the unix pipe character (for example: ps -e | grep sendmail )

TO do it, you do the slash character and then press alt and a menu pops up. Then select the pipe character.

Anybody else using Mocha Telnet ??
    There are free applications for ssh. I prefer TuSSH and I've seen others prefer pssh. I've never used Mocha Telnet, so I don't know if it's better in comparison to the free options.
    How does anyone use tussh? It does nothing for me, always has. Just sits there and runs "out of memory" even after a soft reset, etc.. so it's not "out of memory".

pssh works great for me. It has an on screen keyboard for alternate characters. Unfortunately it doesn't handle the normal alt key way of creating them.
    Implementing the "alt key" way would be a pain, but I did some work on pssh to enable access to the missing characters using Menu+alpha keys. I find that to be a lot easier than tapping the screen. http://www.nekito.net/~sachs/palm
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    pssh rocks. I used TuSSH before I heard about pssh. Both work, I like pssh better tho
    [ pssh has always been unstable for me. I like TuSSH for those few of my hosts where it works. ]

tussh gives me out-of-memory errors for some, but not all of the hosts that I connect to. I use Zlauncher and have 10MB free RAM.

Has anyone had any luck eliminating this problem, using either UDMH or DBCacheTool or the "stripped-down ROM" techniques that have been discussed here?
    pssh works perfect here.. I use the modified version at http://shrug.csl.uiuc.edu/~sachs/palm/ but the one from the official page works fine too.
    pssh was the only viable option I could find. Specifically because it does ssh2 and also supports encrypted login keys.

Excellent product.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    pssh works perfect here.. I use the modified version at http://shrug.csl.uiuc.edu/~sachs/palm/ but the one from the official page works fine too.
    Thanks, the original pssh is working for me (I don't recall what problems it gave me in the past), but now I'm going to try the Treo 650-customized version on the wonderful web page that you pointed out. While I'm at it, I'm going to try the customized FieldPlus found there, which at least in theory shouldn't degrade performance like the original did/does.
    Hey folks,

So I'm thinking about using ssh on my Treo 600 to connect to my powerbook G4 to do some minor system admin tasks and see whats up.

What is this occasional mention of ssh being insecure on the palm? Exactly how insecure are we talking here, and wheres this loss of security coming from?
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    From pssh's home page:

"pssh is substantially UNTESTED and probably INSECURE. Do not use it for security-critical applications."

Meaning he's not rigorously tested his code for bugs and can't guarantee that it's 100% unbreakable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    From pssh's home page:

"pssh is substantially UNTESTED and probably INSECURE. Do not use it for security-critical applications."

Meaning he's not rigorously tested his code for bugs and can't guarantee that it's 100% unbreakable.
    Breakable from where? Once the data leaves your palm, isn't it encrypted just like all other ssh 2 clients?
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrGuard View Post
    Breakable from where? Once the data leaves your palm, isn't it encrypted just like all other ssh 2 clients?
    When considering security, you must consider every link in the chain. I'm sure that since pssh is able to communicate with other ssh2 servers, that the encryption being used is correct. But there are many other factors. One factor that is explicitly mentioned is random number generation. The author feels his prng is weak. The Sachs mods attempt to improve on this. If the prng is too weak or another error caused the pssh code to use predictable IVs, then the encryption would be SUBSTANTIALY weakened.

Now I'm not in any way trying to imply that pssh has any such weakness! I'm just giving one (of many) examples of how security code can be weakened by simple mistakes or oversights. The author is simply saying that his code hasn't been audited so don't assume it is free of any such mistakes.

With all that said, I use pssh regularly.