Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There are several questions that come up often as it relates to GoodLink. The infamous GoodLink Thread (now in this forum for posterity sake) was a bear to dig through though often, these questions were already answered. I am going to build a FAQ here of these questions and hopefully this will get your questions answered quickly.

1. Populating your sub-folders

2. Reprovisioning your device

3. How can I make the Treo vibrate for reminders?

4. How can I have the LED blink when a new message is received?

5. Enabling the Palm Contacts
    Last edited by GoodGuy; 12/21/2005 at 10:28 AM.
  2.    #2  
    After you have intitially provisioned or after re-provisioning your GoodLink enabled device, you will need to populate your sub-folders using the fetccommand. This will give you step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

1. Go to the GoodLink Home Screen.

http://www.geocities.com/tar_heel_v/GL_Home.jpg

2. Type the word 'debug' (no quotes). You will not be able to see the characters as your are typing, however, after typing the word, a command line prompt will appear. At the prompt, type: "fetch 1000 inbox:*' (no quotes) and hit the enter key.

http://www.geocities.com/tar_heel_v/command_line.jpg

This will pull 1000 messages from all the sub-folders located under your Inbox on Exchange and place pointers to them on the device. If you have more than 1000 messages in a folder you need to pull, simply follow the steps again to get the rest.

Notes: Only folders under the inbox can be sync'd with GoodLink. GoodLink does not support .pst files.
  3.    #3  
    Sometimes there may be a need to 'reinstall' GoodLink on your device. This is not a re-installation in the truest sense of the word because you do not have to truly re-install. You simply reprovision GoodLink.

1. Go to the GoodLink Home Screen.

http://www.geocities.com/tar_heel_v/GL_Home.jpg

2. Type the word 'debug' (no quotes). You will not be able to see the characters as your are typing, however, after typing the word, a command line prompt will appear. At the command prompt, type 'reprov' (no quotes) and hit the enter key. You will see a line that says "This will erase ALL data and reprovision the device - are you sure you want to do this?"

http://www.geocities.com/tar_heel_v/reprov.jpg

This will NOT erase the entire handlheld. Only GoodLink will be re-installed.

3. Type a capital 'Y' (no quotes). The device will reprovision and soft-reset. After it has completed, you will want to run the fetch command to repopulate your subfolders.
    Last edited by GoodGuy; 12/20/2005 at 11:47 PM.
    If you have Butler installed, you can do this quite easily.

1. In GoodLink Preferences under Notifications, check the "Show On-Screen Alert" and "Show Alert Dialog" options.
    2. In Butler under the Attention Grabber menu, check the box for "Attention Manager (Normal Alerts)". Then tap the "Set Alerts" button and choose how you want the LED to blink.
    Assuming you have Butler installed, here's how.

1. In GoodLink's Preferences->Notification->Reminders menu, uncheck Play Sound
    2. In the Butler Attention Grabber menu, check at least Attention Manager
    3. Then, under the Set Alert menu, change Alert to "Silent" and set the number of times you want it to vibrate as well as any other options you prefer.

Now GoodLink Reminders will only vibrate when they go off. If you do want sound, choose a sound in the Butler Attention Grabber->Set Alert menu to something other than Silent.

The one side effect is that this setting will affect all types of alerts that are raised - not just GoodLink's (since Butler can't tell who raised the alert). If you check anything else on the Butler->Attention Grabber screen, the same thing will apply to those alert types.

Butler also has the ability to apply this setting only during certain hours of the day, so perhaps you could use this to have a "work" behavior as well as a "off work" setting. See the Butler Attention Grabber->More Options menu.
  6.    #6  
    1. Make sure you Hotsync to get the latest information updated.

2. On the Palm, Go to Palm Home and select the menu key and the
    Delete option

3. At the top of the list, you should see GoodLink, GoodPrefs and
    then Contacts someplace close by. The size of Contacts will vary
    because this is REAL DATA, that is why it is important to Hotsync
    BEFORE doing this.

4. Delete Contacts and do a Soft Reset

5. VERY IMPORTANT part II Change the Hotsync manager to Outlook or
    Palm Desktop overwrites Palm. If you do not do this, Hotsync will
    erase the Desktop information to get parity with the Palm which we
    ERASED the database for.

6. After this crucial Hotsync life is back to normal and Hotsync
    manager can be changed back to Synch both. KEEP IN MIND!!!!! If the
    customer upgrades to a newer version of Good or Re-installs, the
    hack/redirect is re-initiated and these steps must be taken again.
    Have Butler installed.

Can I get my treo to notify emails only by vibrate / flashing light for Goodlink emails arriving......but do noisy nagging for missed calls & SMS messages?

using Treo 650 1.20 ROM gsm unlocked and Butler 3.61
    I can't think of a way to do that since Butler doesn't differentiate between which app raised the alert
  9. mjf
    In step 5 of "Enabling Palm Contacts" above: "Change the Hotsync manager to Outlook or Palm Desktop overwrites Palm."
    For which conduit do you change this? Thanks
    Last edited by mjf; 06/16/2006 at 12:54 PM. Reason: clarification
    That would be Contacts
  11. mjf
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    That would be Contacts
    How embarrassing. I should've figured that one out! Sorry!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    FWIW - you can do the "contacts" hack with the calendar as well... I have both a palm calendar and a good calendar on my 700p. My palm calendar synchs with my home exchange server (through Versamail's synch) and my Good calendar is connected to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Notes: Only folders under the inbox can be sync'd with GoodLink.
    Ohhhhhhhhh. Now I see. Darn.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy

Delete option

BEFORE doing this.

ERASED the database for.

I saw an alternative solution on http://www.chaddickerson.com/blog/20...with-goodlink/

Instead use FileZ to change the creator of GoodAddressBookApp.prc from PAdd to something like PAd1. This effectively "rescues" the original Palm Contacts application and e.g. allows the phone to rely on the Palm application as the database rather than the Outlook contacts database. (This is on a Treo 700P with GoodLink version version 4.8.1.14_EN)
    Let me start by saying that Goodguy really is a Good Guy. I've watched his posts here and he sincerely tries to help Treo users and acts as a conduit back to Goodlink Enginners. Let me also say that I think Goodlink is a very good piece of software. In fact there is a lengthy interview I gave to a publication extolling the software's virtues on my old 600 that is still frequently excerpted by Goodlink. I also recommend Goodlink for anyone using the Palm OS.

That said (and you knew this was coming), I am very unhappy with Goodlink on the 700w. In almost every way imaginable, the addition of Goodlink to a 700w makes the product less friendly to the user - although I will admit there are some advantages for administrators.

Here are some examples: (1) Goodlink is a memory hog made worse by its well known insistence on using its own contact database rather than the native contact database. Given the severe memory shortage of the 700w, this alone is a killer but there is also (2) Goodlink will not coexist with voice command dialing of contacts - which is one of the biggest advantages of the 700w. Although you might be able to run them together without memory problems (doubtful but not possible), Voice Command won't access the Goodlink contacts, only the native contacts. And there is insufficent memory to run both programs and duplicate contacts database. There there is (3) the fact that the built in spell checker that the 700w comes with will not work on Goodlink emails. If that wasn't enough, (4) activesync (a push email solution that lacks these problems) comes free with the device - unlike Goodlink.

If Goodlink at least promised a fix fairly soon for these problems then I'd try to hold out and wait but I can't get anyone to even confirm that they are being addressed.

Goodguy, can you comment?
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
  16.    #16  
    I can comment, however, I don't think it will answer your questions. You bring up points that have been brought up since the release of GMM for the 700W and, not suprisingly, they have also been brought up in regards to GMM for the Palm OS as well. All I can say is that I have passed along those concerns to our development group. We are looking into the ability to use the native contacts on devices, however, there are security issues that need to be addressed on top of working on code that has been written to make calls to a familiar database and changing that to have it call one with an entirely different format. All I have heard is it is being looked at. Now, I am far from an engineer nor am I a developer, so I can't address what it would take to do that, so for you software engineer types out there, please don't flame me by saying it is three lines of code

As for Exchange ActiveSync, that is another thread entirely that I can address how free isn't free and some severe shortcomings in the product from a usability and administrative standpoint.

I am sure this isn't the answer you are looking for, but unfortunately, it is about all I can provide in regards to your issues.
    Hi GoodGuy,

It will take GL a while to integrate to the Contact lists on various platforms, while we are suffering every day. :-(

Perhaps there is an easier approach to this issue. Instead of trying to change the GL to use the native Contacts on the phone, split the contact lists, so that GL contacts apply only to the GL. This will be a short term solution and should be easier to implement instead of integration.

This is not a good solution for the long term, since it will be bulky (two lists instead of one) and inconvenient in the fact that we'll have to manage two contact lists (one native and one for GL only), but it will restore the native functionality to the phones and be a lot easier to implement.

The benefits clearly outweigh the drawbacks. The devices we are talking about are first of all phones and no additional features like Email should interfere with the normal phone operations.

Your engineering can then, at their leisure, integrate to the native contact list.

My $.02,

Nick
    I have just recently installed Goodlinks on my TREO 650 .. and I love the ability to have my email pushed to me. I also found the problem described earlier in that the GoodLinks Contacts program took over for the PALM Contacts program. When I looked for the programs mentioned earlier by GOODGUY .. in my Program List, however, they just weren't there .. and only the Palm Contacts program was listed .. and I DID NOT want to delete it.

I tried the bottom suggestion, however, using FileZ on my Palm Treo 650 to alter the creator of GoodAddressBookApp.prc .. and it worked like a charm! Thanks much for this info

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post

Delete option

BEFORE doing this.

ERASED the database for.

I saw an alternative solution on http://www.chaddickerson.com/blog/20...with-goodlink/

Instead use FileZ to change the creator of GoodAddressBookApp.prc from PAdd to something like PAd1. This effectively "rescues" the original Palm Contacts application and e.g. allows the phone to rely on the Palm application as the database rather than the Outlook contacts database. (This is on a Treo 700P with GoodLink version version 4.8.1.14_EN)
    Hi GoodGuy,

I just upgraded to the Treo 700P from the 600 and have installed GoodLink software which is just great.

I use the Palm Task app constantly. When I synch with my laptop the task in the GoodLink Task app (which haven't changed) are being picked up and "backfed" into the Palm task app. So task items I deleted are reinstated and those I changed are duplicated. Is there a solution available to this? I do want to keep the Palm Task app. Can I (or the GoodLink admin) disable GoodLink task synching?

Thanks
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEC View Post
    Hi GoodGuy,

I just upgraded to the Treo 700P from the 600 and have installed GoodLink software which is just great.

I use the Palm Task app constantly. When I synch with my laptop the task in the GoodLink Task app (which haven't changed) are being picked up and "backfed" into the Palm task app. So task items I deleted are reinstated and those I changed are duplicated. Is there a solution available to this? I do want to keep the Palm Task app. Can I (or the GoodLink admin) disable GoodLink task synching?

Thanks
    There is no way to disable the GMM tasks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast