Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Bumping an old thread.

Just curious to see if everyone's still happy with their 510's, or have moved on and found something better for their treo 650?

Lately, my windstop 510 has been experiencing poor and muffled outbound voice quality. People say they can't hear me. In A/B comparisons to my old 510 without windstop, the old one is MUCH better.

I'm thinking the hard foam got clogged after dropping it in water. A friend who also has the same windstop 510 is having exact same results, and has also switched back to his old non windstop 510.

I've read a few good reviews of the "AX2 Pro"...a modifed AX2 with a grafted boom mic. Bought all the components, but the AX2 by itself is not nearly as loud inbound as the 510 in my A/B tests.

Also read mixed reviews about the Nokia BH-900. Some say it's much better than the 510, some say it plain sucks.

Anyways, lets get some input please...how you guys doing with your Plantronics 510?
    No one has any comments?

Used an unmodified AX2 for the past few days...not loud enough, not as comfortable to me.

Removed the windstop foam on my 510 and viola, outbound no longer muffled. Thinking of grafting the ETY mic on the 510 instead of the AX2, to make a "510 Pro".

Bought a Nokia BH900, great outbound sound quality, but the way my ear is shaped, the speaker is not placed over my ear canal, making it not loud enough, and not comfortable to me. To be returned.

Some feedback please on how you guys are doing with your 510's and if you found better???
    I've been using my non-windstop 510 for about a year now (with a Treo 650), and haven't found any real incentive to move to anything else. The voice quality, volume, and battery life have been excellent, and since I do most of my handsfree calls either indoors or in the car, the windstop feature of the newer models hasn't been necessary.

I also get quite a few comments from others wanting to know about it, since it's one of the seemly few bluetooth headsets that don't look like you have a small pager strapped to the outside of your ear (giving that distinctly Borg-like appearance to the user). I also appreciate that I'm able to use a foam earbud-style earpiece rather than the "gels" which I find uncomfortable.

All in all, I love my 510, and can't imagine switching to anything else at the moment. :-)
    This is now available from buy.com for $31.98 with google checkout. I'm going to pull the trigger. buy.com

edit: looks like it sold out so you can no longer use google checkout
    edit2: Working again. Price dropped to $30. It only worked when I used IE, not Firefox.
    Last edited by Dyno; 12/01/2006 at 01:55 PM.
    Grafted the Etymotic boom mic on to my 510, making it a "510 pro". WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Clients have no problems hearing me now, and the highly directional nature of the ETY mic allows me to be on the phone with the tv on, windows down, or radio on and people on the other end can't hear the background noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by acastillo View Post
    Grafted the Etymotic boom mic on to my 510, making it a "510 pro". WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Clients have no problems hearing me now, and the highly directional nature of the ETY mic allows me to be on the phone with the tv on, windows down, or radio on and people on the other end can't hear the background noise.
    Pictures?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I have both ... the blue and the black, using one at work with the headset lifter bluetooth toy and one with my Treo... last week I upgraded to the 700p (Verizon)... BUMMER .. the Voyager 510 is not compatible with the 700p.... any ideas..... please
    I've read a few different opinions on whether it works with the 700p. Some people say it works perfectly. Most report that it disconnects every so often - but if you click the answer button, it reconnects. Other people report more severe problems. I know palm says it isn't compatible, but have you tried it? What problems do you have?
    I pair it, set the phone to visible, add it to trusted devices, do to the phone , dial a number... it works then disconnect , I try to add it to trusted devices menu again, it sais cannot add so I delete it and do the same process again... pain in the .......
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acastillo
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Pictures?
    I'll do better than that. I told one of my friends who owns a cellular store about my home made "510 Pro" and he decided to do the same surgery. He was so impressed with the quality of the voice output that he's going to start making them to sell in his store. Here's the first one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...6842&rd=1&rd=1

To my knowledge, and I've tried a ton of headsets, there's nothing currently available in terms of bluetooth headsets for working mobile professionals who want a loud incoming volume, and the best outgoing voice quality than taking a 510 and grafting the highly directional Ety mic onto it. I take mortgage applications from clients daily, and it was really getting irritating to them when they couldn't hear what I was asking. I can now whisper and still be heard.

This applies to my wife too...she's a big time mumbler and we get into arguments all the time on the cell because we can't hear eachother. I'm awaiting parts to do my 2nd 510 conversion for her

The technology behind the ETY mic is unique that anything beyond ~3" from the mic is significantly attenuated. My friend was intrigued when I was speaking to him on mine while I was driving at 70mph with the radio on loud enough I had to talk OVER it, and he could hear my voice fine and couldn't even tell the radio was on.
    someone teach me how to do the mic transplant!@

My first 510 was almost perfect. Excellent mic and sound quality..but the volume button rattled..so I swapped it for a new one. The new one doesn't have a rattling volume buttom, but the mic sucks!
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by acastillo View Post
    No one has any comments?

Used an unmodified AX2 for the past few days...not loud enough, not as comfortable to me.

Removed the windstop foam on my 510 and viola, outbound no longer muffled. Thinking of grafting the ETY mic on the 510 instead of the AX2, to make a "510 Pro".

Bought a Nokia BH900, great outbound sound quality, but the way my ear is shaped, the speaker is not placed over my ear canal, making it not loud enough, and not comfortable to me. To be returned.

Some feedback please on how you guys are doing with your 510's and if you found better???
    I've had the same issues with my 510, which is what got me to try an AX2 pro. I had to go back to my 510 because I lost my second AX2 pro and am waiting for the components to come in, so I can make a third one. I had to pull the screen off my 510 because too many people complained that they couldn't hear me. Without the screen, they hear me well. Does anyone know how to properly clean the screen?

As far as AX2's sound goes, I think, with the ear piece's hole lined up properly with my ear canal, the AX2 can even be too loud. Try lining up the sound hole with your ear canal. The issue I have with the 510 is that several second delay. For me the AX2 Pro is still the best option.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAKozicki View Post
    The issue I have with the 510 is that several second delay.
    JETWare's BT extension fixes this problem. In fact, my HS now connects before the phone rings. I've noticed I'm not getting a ringing tone in the HS when the phone does ring, thus causing some missed calls.
    Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alfred44 View Post
    Please where can I get a copy of Plantronic voyerger 510 at a reasonable price?
    Thanks
    I know this is late, I called my cellular provider, Alltel, and the sales lady said if I could hold out for the 510, it blows everything away. (They don't have any there at the national call center. Was going to be around $80.00). She thought the local retail stores might have them. I checked ebay and purchased one for $43.95 with free shipping through wirelessdistribution. Glad to hear the good reviews.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345