1.    #1  
    This has to do with the recent update to Xpressmail (the mail service provided by Seven Inc., equivalent of Sprint Business Connect for Cingular customers).

The details are in
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=101778

Summary:
    When Xpressmail is updated to ver 6.5.5.296 and the Push feature is enabled, and VolumeCare (5.x, including b1 abd b2) is also enabled then the Treo 650 "wakes-up" every 1-2 minutes. The screen turns on, even though no network traffic takes place.

If either VC is disabled or Push (in Xpressmail) is disabled, the "wake up" behavior stops.

I hope Jeff is able to figure this out.. because I have no way of contacting anyone knowledgeable at Seven or Cingular about this.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    This has to do with the recent update to Xpressmail (the mail service provided by Seven Inc., equivalent of Sprint Business Connect for Cingular customers).

The details are in
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=101778

Summary:
    When Xpressmail is updated to ver 6.5.5.296 and the Push feature is enabled, and VolumeCare (5.x, including b1 abd b2) is also enabled then the Treo 650 "wakes-up" every 1-2 minutes. The screen turns on, even though no network traffic takes place.

If either VC is disabled or Push (in Xpressmail) is disabled, the "wake up" behavior stops.

I hope Jeff is able to figure this out.. because I have no way of contacting anyone knowledgeable at Seven or Cingular about this.
    I see no way that VolumeCare is causing this behavior. My guess is that somehow Xpressmail is causing a set of phone notifications to be generated. This is causing VC to interpret and process these requests. This would have the ability to cause the Treo to wake up. This sounds like Seven is doing polling every 1 or 2 minutes. Pretty weird stuff. Sounds like Seven is doing things they really shouldn't be doing.

Jeff
  3.    #3  
    I was out of town and just got back.

As another data point: If I enable application mode in VC and make sure XpressMail is not selected (ie make VC not apply to Xpressmail), the wake-up problem goes away.

I don't pretend to understand any of this.. just reporting what I see.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I was out of town and just got back.

As another data point: If I enable application mode in VC and make sure XpressMail is not selected (ie make VC not apply to Xpressmail), the wake-up problem goes away.

I don't pretend to understand any of this.. just reporting what I see.
    That is very interesting! Thanks for sharing this with me. I learn something new every day about this platform.

Jeff
    Sounds like the answer was found here in that monitoring a XpressMail with VolumeCare causes the Treo to light up probably through some interaction underneath the scenes. Some questions on this... probably for Jeff.

1. What would be the reason to monitor an application in VolumeCare and of course what benefit would it provide for XpressMail?

2. The SEVEN client does indeed have a polling keep alive mechanism for a period of time until there is no activity and at that point the network connection would shut down. I'm curious on what VC would be interacting with that would cause the device to light up. I could pass this on through the SEVEN Beta program and see if the developers may have an idea on this. Probably not a big deal since there is a solution already but more of a curiosity.
  6.    #6  
    Before We take my findings as totally correct, I would like others to duplicate this effect and conflict.

It's clear that many users of Xpressmail have obseved this "wake-up" behavior. See posts on the cingular forum:

http://forums.cingular.com/cng/board...essage.id=3225

So far, no one else has reported on the connection between Xpressmail and VC.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  7. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I am not seeing this behaviour. I have VC 5 and cingular xpress.
  8.    #8  
    Which version of Xpressmail are you using?
    What are your ROM firmware and Software versions?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileGhost
    Sounds like the answer was found here in that monitoring a XpressMail with VolumeCare causes the Treo to light up probably through some interaction underneath the scenes. Some questions on this... probably for Jeff.

1. What would be the reason to monitor an application in VolumeCare and of course what benefit would it provide for XpressMail?
    The word "monitor" is not really accurate. VC does not monitor any application. It detects the startup of an application when it is launched from the launcher. At this time, it triggers the volume state if this application is in the list of applications that VolumeCare sould change the sound. But I think I know what might be causing this problem and I will work on a potential fix. I need someone that is having a consistent and repeatable Treo to give this idea a try. Any takers?

2. The SEVEN client does indeed have a polling keep alive mechanism for a period of time until there is no activity and at that point the network connection would shut down. I'm curious on what VC would be interacting with that would cause the device to light up. I could pass this on through the SEVEN Beta program and see if the developers may have an idea on this. Probably not a big deal since there is a solution already but more of a curiosity.
    Same as the above comment. If my above assumption is correct, I wonder why Seven would be causing an application launch to get pulled email. If true, this would be a very inefficient implementation that may lead to significant battery drain. It will also probably cause unpredictable behavior from many 3rd party applications that look at application launches.

I will work on a release today and hopefully have some devices to test on tonight or tomorrow.

Jeff
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    But I think I know what might be causing this problem and I will work on a potential fix. I need someone that is having a consistent and repeatable Treo to give this idea a try. Any takers?

I will work on a release today and hopefully have some devices to test on tonight or tomorrow.

Jeff
    I can test this, since started the whole thing.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    The word "monitor" is not really accurate. VC does not monitor any application. It detects the startup of an application when it is launched from the launcher. At this time, it triggers the volume state if this application is in the list of applications that VolumeCare sould change the sound. But I think I know what might be causing this problem and I will work on a potential fix. I need someone that is having a consistent and repeatable Treo to give this idea a try. Any takers?

Same as the above comment. If my above assumption is correct, I wonder why Seven would be causing an application launch to get pulled email. If true, this would be a very inefficient implementation that may lead to significant battery drain. It will also probably cause unpredictable behavior from many 3rd party applications that look at application launches.

Jeff
    Good info Jeff. On the application launch attempting to get email I can check with my contacts at SEVEN on this but probably more details on the exact scenario would be needed. I'm still not clear (at least to me) as to why this would cause the device to light up. Is that a function of VC as interaction with the application launch?
    Before We take my findings as totally correct, I would like others to duplicate this effect and conflict.

It's clear that many users of Xpressmail have obseved this "wake-up" behavior. See posts on the cingular forum:

http://forums.cingular.com/cng/board...essage.id=3225

So far, no one else has reported on the connection between Xpressmail and VC.
    Well it seems your case is pretty much cause and effect between the two applicaitons. Thanks for the tips on the Cingular Forums.... I didn't even know they had them. Guess I'll go haunt those Forums as well.
    I can test this, since started the whole thing.
    This build shoudl remove all influence VolumeCare had on this problem. In fact, before you load it, you can possibly confirm VC's interaction if you disable all application processing in VC. So in the 5.0x build, disable RingTone and App Volume features. If this wakeup problem does not happen with these options disabled but it DOES happen with them enabled, this build should solve the problem.

http://gotreosoftware.com/modules.ph...p=getit&lid=28

Please give me some feedback.....

Jeff
  14.    #14  
    VC 5.04 seems to be behaving well with Xpressmail (and vice versa :-)

VC is in Automatic mode and Ring Tone is enabled in VC. I don't have the extra Lic for application-level control.

So far, no wake-up's.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    VC 5.04 seems to be behaving well with Xpressmail (and vice versa :-)

VC is in Automatic mode and Ring Tone is enabled in VC. I don't have the extra Lic for application-level control.

So far, no wake-up's.
    Very nice! Thanks for the update! So it looks like Xpressmail is doing an applicaiton launch every few minutes and probably looking for email. Interesting this looks like a scheduled pull email solution rather than a true push solution.

Jeff
    Very nice! Thanks for the update! So it looks like Xpressmail is doing an applicaiton launch every few minutes and probably looking for email. Interesting this looks like a scheduled pull email solution rather than a true push solution.

Jeff
    Technically the solution uses a combination of Push and Scheduled Pull. If the connection has been closed or idle for some then it means the IP Push connection is likely not running. In order to wake it up the device will receive an SMS from the XpressMail servers that is intercepted on the device which then causes it to re-establish the IP Push connection and sync. Email will flow via Push until either the connection is idle or gets shutdown due to poor coverage, device gets turned off etc.