Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I just use yahoo's wap interface to Movies. Allows you to set more than one location. Free and simple.
    The thing I like about stand alone programs like showtimes is that the result is instant and I don't have to have cell reception to check on movies.

It's amazing, as quickly as you can get information on our treo, it's still not quick enough.
    Google has an awesome free SMS service that you can use to get the movies, weather, and more. http://www.google.com/sms/howtouse.html#movies

The response is almost instant.

I would stay clear of Express, it has more bugs than the amazon and takes up 2.6MB on your Treo. I don't understand why anyone would pay for any of these services when they are all available free. I guess there are a lot of people not aware of what is available and the carriers are behaving like AOL 10+ years ago. It does annoy me though that companies like Handango sell software that is open source and free to everyone.
    I'm with you on Express. imho it's not worth the bugs, memory or annual subscription $. They do get some credit for integration in one UI, but whether it's worth it or not is a personal choice.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabbith
    The thing I like about stand alone programs like showtimes is that the result is instant and I don't have to have cell reception to check on movies.

It's amazing, as quickly as you can get information on our treo, it's still not quick enough.
    Exactly! There's nothing like making spontaneous plans while on the subway to hop off at the next station and catch a movie! Showtimes is great!
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Quote Originally Posted by serious joe
    I would stay clear of Express, it has more bugs than the amazon and takes up 2.6MB on your Treo. I don't understand why anyone would pay for any of these services when they are all available free. I guess there are a lot of people not aware of what is available and the carriers are behaving like AOL 10+ years ago. It does annoy me though that companies like Handango sell software that is open source and free to everyone.
    I use Express. No bugs here at all.

I purchased Express with a huge discount they were offering recently. I think the current price is too expensive, but that doesn't mean I don't like it, or don't have use for it. The movie listing information and sports information are FAR better than anything else out there - including what is available on the web. The news feature is a nice, quick alternative to web-based news sources or Avantgo. It's much, much faster, and can load automatically or on demand. The weather and directory information aren't much of a benefit to me, as I usually use Directory Assistant (free) and 4Cast (cheap), and I have never tried the Stocks feature.

I use Express because it is fun, very fast, and I got it for a good price. Don't knock the excellent movie and sports information unless you have tried them on version 2 of Express - and I bet you haven't tried it. They are unequaled - just try to find something nearly as good or fast. You simply can't get the same functionality from anywhere else.

Also, it doesn't take up 2.6 megs on my memory - it uses 0.5 megs on my Treo. Big deal.

And yes, I'm aware of other available sources. If you search here, you will find posts by me in the past saying the same thing about Express that you are saying now. But I have changed my mind - mostly because of the discounted price I paid and new Version 2 features.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by serious joe
    Google has an awesome free SMS service that you can use to get the movies, weather, and more. http://www.google.com/sms/howtouse.html#movies

The response is almost instant.
    Wow! You're not kidding. Very nice beta. Google rocks.

A nice feature is to just send an SMS to 46645 with the text 'help' to get started. I'll be using this for weather, movies, driving directions, etc.

Thanks for the tip, sj!
    I will hopefully have this done shortly. It will download movietimes.

http://sivilsoft.blogspot.com/
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    I get movies through my Earthlink subscription. They have a mobile optimized start page that one can customize to include weather, movies, news, etc.
    If you use VeriChat, just use the Movie Information bot feature. It's almost instantaneous and hardly requires any input.
    Back to showtimes... I wrote this post for another users group, but have not received a response.

I recently upgraded from a Samsung i500 to a Treo 650. The program
    with it's Windows conduit worked flawlessly on the i500. It does not
    work on the Treo. Well, I mean that no matter what I do or change or
    configure, the program will not copy the files to a place where the
    Treo can install them. I've tried changing the "getdata.cfg" file to
    write the necessary files to the Quick Install tool folder. That
    doesn't work, nor does it work to write them to the Install folder.
    I've done clean install after clean install.

I'm at a loss. Does anyone use the program? If so has anyone been
    successful in getting it to run on the Treo?

Any help would be appreciated! I love this program because of it's
    simplicity. For me, it is much easier that surfing the web to check a
    movie time.
    I was having trouble with the conduit too, so I ended up skipping it. I use windows to schedule a nightly task that runs a batch file. First it runs getdata.pl the it runs palmclis.exe -s (found here)
    My getdata.cfg is set to copy the files to the install dir (not quickinstall).

Palmclis.exe does what flipreg is supposed to do, since flipreg doesn't seem to work with the Treo 650.

If you're using the perl version, you should be able to change the line the calls flipreg to call a batch file that copies the files and calls palmclis (line #525) if you want to continue using the conduit. Personally, I prefer the scheduled method because my hotsync takes long enough already.
    Why not use infoman?
    Dabbith,
    I'm running windows, so I run getdata.exe, not getdata.pl. I cannot get the files to copy to the install directory or the quickinstall directory, that is by changing the DIR line in the .cfg file. I'm not sure I understand enough about what you are doing to do it myself. I appreciate you trying to help though.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson
    Why not use infoman?
    Besides the fact that it's $40/year more than showtimes? And it looks like you need to have internet access when you want to check the times. And I like the interface on showtimes better. It also doesn't look like I can specify which theaters to show using infoman which is important to me, there are certain theaters that are near me that I don't go to. I actually get movie times for 2 different locations, around my home and around my parents house which also looks like it'd be difficult to do with infoman. I could be wrong on many of these points, but at $40/year I'm not about to find out.
    *Disregard, I made a mistake- was thinking of Pocket TV*
    Last edited by lulugirl896; 02/28/2006 at 12:42 PM.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Quote Originally Posted by texas_ags
    Dabbith,
    I'm running windows, so I run getdata.exe, not getdata.pl. I cannot get the files to copy to the install directory or the quickinstall directory, that is by changing the DIR line in the .cfg file.
    Have the files copied to the install directory using the cfg file. Download palmclis and put palmclis.exe the same directory as your getdata.exe. Extract the batch file that's attached to the same directory, it's called showtimes.bat and should go in the same directory as getdata.exe and palmclis.exe. Disable the showtimes conduit. Double click on showtimes.bat and then sync. If the showtimes databases get copied to your palm let me know and then I'll help you schedule it to run nightly.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I just use Blazer and go directly to the theater's web site. There's 20+ movie theaters within 15 mile sof me but we only go to one (16 sceens) so knowing what is playing elsewhere is of no use to me.
    Express rules - up to date listings with movie news, etc. Great app
    Fred
    Cingular 680
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast