Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Wow based on majority of the threads here there seems to be quite a few problems with this unit. I don't have mine yet but I ordered it today and should have it by Thursday.

I figure I have 14 days to return it so I'd try it out but I didnt realize there were so many problems. Did I make a bad choice? Am I wasting my time? Or are people doing certain things to the unit to make it crash so much?(hacks, software, etc.)

Any answers to this would be much appreciated.

Thanks a ton!

Paul

p.s. I'm coming from a BlackBerry 7100g (had is since end of Sept.) where I've had it crash once and that was due to me accidently loading themes from a diffrent model.
  2. f40
    I think you have made the right choice. My two are rock solid & always have been. These threads will always focus on the problems as discussing the great things would lead to not much to talk about.
    Palm IIIx >- Treo 180 >- 270 >- 600 >- 650
    I also have 2 650's and have no problems with them. I think sometimes it is just the luck of the draw, a percentage just get a bad unit and others are related to software issues.
    Many people, myself included, find the Treo a great toy and will try running all manner of software on it, with varying degrees of success. If you just operate your Treo as it comes out of the box, and don’t try anything fancy, it will serve you well.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    No problems here either. Rarely crashes and reception is good. I'm happy with it overall.
    No problems here. After all the updates it has been rock solid! Just watch out for some third party apps that may cause it to have problems. Make sure you get Volume Care which is a must have for this device since the volume maybe to low.
    The only problems I have run into with mine or any of the Treos I support have all been added software. I think you made the right choice.
    FWIW
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Before you do anything else, load the latest firmware. Then try it before loading a bunch of junk on it. Most problems nowadays are due to faulty software loaded on the treo.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Something you'll want to know:

If your Treo 650 crashes, go to the phone app and type #*377 and hit the green button. You'll get a message telling you what caused the crash. This will most likely be a crash caused by a third party application - remove the application and have a happy Treo 650.

Haydn.

p.s: Good choice - I love mine!
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    My Treo is rock solid, as soon as I figured out what was causing all my random crashes, I uninstalled that app, and then it has been wonderful, its a great expirence having a device that runs like the Treo and can do all that the Treo is capable of doing.
    Mine wasn't that "rock solid" at the start. But with the updates has become a lot better. Don't be surpised if you get a reset every so often. But all in all I my Treo has become an great tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH
    Something you'll want to know:

If your Treo 650 crashes, go to the phone app and type #*377 and hit the green button. You'll get a message telling you what caused the crash. This will most likely be a crash caused by a third party application - remove the application and have a happy Treo 650.

Haydn.

p.s: Good choice - I love mine!

HEY!!!!

I just learned something! thanks, thats an awesome feature!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I also love my Treo. If you do start installing 3rd party apps, there would be an increasing risk of instability. However, it is quite manageable.

I have persuaded two of my friends to switch to the Treo, and now they are happy that they did.

People in this forum would naturally talk about problems with their Treo, creating a strong impression that the product has serious defects. It is not so, at least for a majority of Treo users (I think). It would not have been a bestseller if it has system and hardware flaws. My Treo has worked very well, and I use it often.
    Mine's rock solid too. The thing is, most people don't come to boards for help when their satisfied so the number of complaints/problems will vastly outnumber testimonials. So, the number of people without problems is probably orders of magnitude higher than the number of people with problems and you just don't hear about those without problems on here.

Have faith!
    Every now and then I check out the previous postings of a number of regular "whiners" here and I find these are the people that have played around with so many unknown software, hacks, and third-party firmware/software updates (from Singapore, Costa Rica, and Shadowmite's) and yet somewhat technically clueless. Some of them don't even know the difference between soft reset and hard reset.

My locked Cingular has also been flawless since February with HBH662 bluetooth, DUN, 1 gig sd card and with the latest 1.17 update and 14 sweet megs free memory .
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Quote Originally Posted by eafenyes
    Many people, myself included, find the Treo a great toy and will try running all manner of software on it, with varying degrees of success. If you just operate your Treo as it comes out of the box, and donít try anything fancy, it will serve you well.

Mine (GSM Unlocked) is rock solid.
    I have no problems with mine except for the occasional soft reset.
    I really like mine. It's had a few problems but easily fixed and the benefits far outweigh these issues. Palmone has a good support database and this forum has an un-ending source of support available.

I got tired of carrying a PDA and Cellphone and when I was constantly performing hard resets on my HP Ipaq to fix those crashes, I took the plunge and got the Treo.

You made a good choice.
    The Treo is the most useful pocket-sized device in the history of humanity. -Jeff DLB
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    you will need volume care since the volume of the Treo is too low. other than that software resets are caused by 3rd party applications that are installed. the nice thing about the treo is it is PALM and a lot of software is out there for it. Some of it does not play nice with OS5 and the TREO and some does. The bad thing about the TREO is the same as the good so you can do a lot and make a mess if you want. I dont think other devices have as many choices for 3rd party programs as the TREO.

you made a good choice.