Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wow, geeze people back off of LSDetroit a bit. he was meerly expressing an opinion. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, there sure are a lot of Palm apologists on this site. That being said, I have owned just about every Palm since the inseption of the Palm Pilot. The Treo's, both the 600 and 650 have been quite unstable in my opinion. I feel like a beta tester using these. I am on my 6th 650, and not because I use third party programs or ROM's. all of the issues have been due to Palm internal applications, most notably VersaMail. But not to be all doom and gloom, my latest Sprint Treo 650, which is HW rev B has rarley crashed. All is well except for the damned Versa Mail app. Aside from that though, this device has been great for cell use, text messaging and one hand operation. So look at the positive and negative coments people make and choose for yourself. Chance are you may really like this device.
    bit_bucket
    I think when you think about what you can do with a device that fits in your pocket, maybe we should be grateful?

I agree with you bit_bucket. I too sometimes feel like a beta tester. That is exactly why I opted for the 650 and not the 700. At least for now :-)
    Aren't we all considered "beta testers" when a new device comes out. I cannot think of a device w/ an OS that never had problems. If you like the device then keep it, if not move on. I am tired of people complaining about this device knowing that Palm did not force you to purchase this product. Like I said, get a phone that makes only phone calls, get PDA for your appointments, and I-pod to listen to music, get a blackberry for your e-mails and so on. For me this device has been working great for all the above.
    Here's a story of 2 treos.

One was version A hardware on Cingular, starting with software v 1_05, updated to 1_17 IIRC (The latest version as of 12/10/05). It is ungodly slow at just about everything and has no apps not provided by the carrier. Even with the latest updates it is still a dog. Blazer speed tests show connections of over 100kbit so it is not a network/radio issue. It never soft resets but it is painful to use.

The second is version B hardware on Sprint with software v1.12 (latest as of 12/10/05). Lots of 3rd party apps including some migrated from older PalmOS devices. It does a soft reset about once a month due to some fighting between Graffiti Anywhere, PalmWiki, and Central or the occassional CASL program. An old AIM client occassionally claims the TCPIP stack and refuses to let go until it is logged off completely. Blazer sees speeds of up to 134kbit and is pretty much twice as fast at just about anything as the Cingular version.

I'm pretty sure a combination of hardware releases and network specific software makes some Treos crap and I suspect that some software versions don't update as well as others so that at least a handful of crappy ones stay crappy. (Think "Windows ME" crappy) These problems still crop up from time to time when a few old verison A treos with buggy updates hiding in warehouses and stockrooms are released to the public.

When you get your treo, make note of the software version. That way if you have problems and yours was several versions behind you can use that as the basis for a replacement: "my treo was an older model that's been sitting on a shelf for diety knows how long. Swap it out with a current one."
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LSDetroit
    ... If palm would give me a refund I would jump on it in a heartbeat.
    Have you (read and) tried the other options I suggested in my post ?

If I read correctly, you got a subsidized phone with a carrier contract. As such, Palm will not likely give you a refund for something they did not sell you. You will have to deal with the carrier, or sick the AG on the carrier.

Believe me, the carriers don;t want to deal with the AG to resolve this...
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bit_bucket
    Wow, geeze people back off of LSDetroit a bit. he was meerly expressing an opinion. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, there sure are a lot of Palm apologists on this site.
    I don't take any offense to someone expressing an opinion pro or con. WHen someone starts their first post in a thread with "these people are high", they end up creating a lot of unnecessary tension, and an unproductive atmosphere.

I think LS set the tone and is reaping the result.

You've essentially expressed the same sentiment, and in a pretty productive fashion.

Once Cingualr fixed my billing issues, they agreed to refund the cost of my Treo AND let me keep it. You might need to do a little work, but if you got a substandard product, there are lots of folks here who can provide suggestions on how to resolve the issue.
    I don't feel that after spending $400 on a phone, that i should have to turn around and pay for a new one. One thing that always sickens me about any bug ridden Beta released product is just how many geeks act like we are lucky to have the opportunity to shell out ridiculous amounts of money for this crap. If palm would give me a refund I would jump on it in a heartbeat.
    Hmmm... my boss (seriously UN-geeky) runs a stock 650, with the exception of replacing Versamail with Snappermail. He had some initial trouble getting VoiceDialer installed, but no reset troubles (I'd hear if he did.)

I have two other friends that run stock 650's (no software additions) on Sprint and Verizon. Neither of them have told me of any great reset troubles. (One is fairly geeky, the other is definitely NOT geeky.)

I have serious amounts of 3rd party and beta software on my treo, along with updated firmware (1.71) and a hacked 1.13-ROW ROM (removed Versamail, Real, Tutorials, added Handzipper, FileZ, EReader.) I have a reset about once every day or two, usually caused by lack of dBCache. I highly suspect one or more of my many 3rd party or beta package are the cause for that.

...and, calling others 'high' when your alias is LSD-etroit, seems ironic.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

Vaporware also refers to any overhyped product that fails to live up to expectations.
    Thanks for that link. I've never seen that word used for "overhyped", failed products.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Thanks for that link. I've never seen that word used for "overhyped", failed products.
    And you still haven't.

Even the in the provided Wiki link that alternate definition isn't actually given; it only says that "Often vaporware that does materialize fails to live up to expectations."

"Overhyped" and "failed" might be common attributes of vaporware, but they are not defining ones.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    The Treo's a good choice. While not perfect (what device is?), it's damned good and fairly reliable. The only crashes I've experienced have been my fault (third-party stuff).
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I agree... the Treo is a good choice.

I've had my fair share of headaches but most appear to be conflicts with third party software.

I think while it has tremendous potential... you shouldn't loose sight of its limitations. It is, remember, a phone with a built in PDA. It's not a phone with a laptop built-in.

Support could be better, especially from Palm. There solution to most issues... hard reset. Cingular isn't much better but they do have the Exchange Program. Don't know how well this program works but will be able to comment better in a few days when my replacement gets here (long story I did start a thread on it though).

Thank goodness for this forum. I would hate to think that the only support available was through Palm or Cingular. This forum is likely the greatest source of technical help and advice around.

Sure, I wish it was more stable; a tad thinner; had wi-fi; and a few other modifications that will surely come in time. Until then, the Treo is no worse than other electronic devices. All have a tendency to sputter from time to time.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123