Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    It also happens in switch mode. Without VC enabled (and with previous 4.x versions) Butler does not interfer and when you are in phone apps (also if you are not in a call) Butler auto disable its feature.

    Sorry Jeff, but I think that the problem is caused by the new design of the VC volume windows that appears when VC 5.01 is enabled.
    me

    I have to agree. I have been a user of both Butler and VolumeCare for a long time. This NEW problem only came about AFTER the release of VC 5.00.
    Butler and VolumeCare got along just fine before then.

    So, Jeff, Butler did not 'break' the harmony between the 2 apps...it was VolumeCare that changed.
    As a member of both the VolumeCare and Butler communities I, once again, suggest both developers communicate with one another to resolve the conflict.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by bhleong
    I have had to re-register upon loading the new version. Matter of fact, I've had to do it when I loaded previous updates for VC. Any answers will be appreciated.
    This sounds like a HotSync problem. By this I mean that it sounds like HotSync is restoring a copy of your Saved Preferences rather then storing the one that is newer on your Treo. I would suggest installing a license key and then changing the configuration of your HotSync application to have the Handheld overwrite the desktop during the next HotSync.

    Jeff
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDave
    me

    I have to agree. I have been a user of both Butler and VolumeCare for a long time. This NEW problem only came about AFTER the release of VC 5.00.
    Butler and VolumeCare got along just fine before then.

    So, Jeff, Butler did not 'break' the harmony between the 2 apps...it was VolumeCare that changed.
    As a member of both the VolumeCare and Butler communities I, once again, suggest both developers communicate with one another to resolve the conflict.
    I have exchanged emails with the developer of Butler. He has told me that Bulter should not be looking at or processing volume key actions if you are in the phone application. Can you help me identify when you see the conflict with Butler and how that conflict appears?

    jeff
  4. #24  
    I dial a phone number and the call is active. I depress and hold the volume up button and the VC volume window opens up and moves one increment to the right. If I continue to depress the volume up button, the VC volume window disappears after a second, reappears, and increases the volume by one increment and disappears after about a second or so. It will continue this way until volume is maxxed out. If I let go of the volume button the VC window disappears after a couple seconds. If I then depress and hold the volume up button again, it moves the volume one increment to the right and and repeats the behavior.

    Note: I tried with Keycaps both enabled and disabled just to see if that had anything to do with it but the behavior was the same.

    HTH
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    I dial a phone number and the call is active. I depress and hold the volume up button and the VC volume window opens up and moves one increment to the right. If I continue to depress the volume up button, the VC volume window disappears after a second, reappears, and increases the volume by one increment and disappears after about a second or so. It will continue this way until volume is maxxed out. If I let go of the volume button the VC window disappears after a couple seconds. If I then depress and hold the volume up button again, it moves the volume one increment to the right and and repeats the behavior.

    Note: I tried with Keycaps both enabled and disabled just to see if that had anything to do with it but the behavior was the same.

    HTH
    Is this the behavior if you are on an active call:

    1) in the phone application or
    2) if you are outside of the phone application?

    Jeff
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    I dial a phone number and the call is active. I depress and hold the volume up button and the VC volume window opens up and moves one increment to the right. If I continue to depress the volume up button, the VC volume window disappears after a second, reappears, and increases the volume by one increment and disappears after about a second or so. It will continue this way until volume is maxxed out. If I let go of the volume button the VC window disappears after a couple seconds. If I then depress and hold the volume up button again, it moves the volume one increment to the right and and repeats the behavior.

    Note: I tried with Keycaps both enabled and disabled just to see if that had anything to do with it but the behavior was the same.

    HTH
    Can you give this version a try and tell me if this is an improvement?

    http://gotreosoftware.com/modules.ph...p=getit&lid=28

    Jeff
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Is this the behavior if you are on an active call:

    1) in the phone application or
    2) if you are outside of the phone application?

    Jeff
    In the phone app.
    Outside of the phone app Butler is scrolling so no volume increase/decrease occurs.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Can you give this version a try and tell me if this is an improvement?

    http://gotreosoftware.com/modules.ph...p=getit&lid=28

    Jeff
    Same behavior with 5.02
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Same behavior with 5.02
    So if you disable Butler, the behavior you see disappears when you are in the phone application?

    Jeff
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    So if you disable Butler, the behavior you see disappears when you are in the phone application?

    Jeff
    yep.

    My voicemail system must be wondering why I keep calling it when there are no messages
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  11. #31  
    minor bug..
    unselect handset volume checkbox
    then check it again....
    the boost bar shows back up under automatic-config
  12. #32  
    why would volumecare ever even cause a reset due to SMS messaging? Seems like you are playing with API's you shouldn't be. I spent way too much time trying to diagnose the reset problems & would never of fathomed VolumeCare to be the guilty mf....
  13. #33  
    because VC can prevent sms messages from popping up while on a call???
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    because VC can prevent sms messages from popping up while on a call???
    I have a licensing mechanism that allows users to send me an SMS message that contains all of their license information (HotSync ID, HSSN and mobile number). I use this information to then create license keys that work the first time.

    Then once keys are created, I can SMS the keys back to the Treo and VolumeCare sees the keys and automatically installs the license keys and hides the SMS. Seamless and takes no user involvement to install the keys.

    Well in the first implementation of this technology, I had a bad pointer in the SMS processing code. I blew it and this bug got into users hands. Once I found it, I made forum announcements and put out a fix. Well with the popularity of VolumeCare, many people have the release that do not read the forums. So I have put out a global email blast to all of my registered customers telling them about the new version.

    I am very sorry this bug made it to the field! It is my goal to have 100% error free software but that is not always possible. I will try to do better in the future......

    Jeff
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    minor bug..
    unselect handset volume checkbox
    then check it again....
    the boost bar shows back up under automatic-config
    Thanks! I will fix it.

    Jeff
  16.    #36  
    All,

    I have been in contact with the developer of Butler. I have provided him with all of the details that I have discovered.

    Here is what I have found.

    To improve the "smoothness" of the volume graph display in VolumeCare v5.01, I changed the way the window was displayed.

    In doing this, I expect to be able to get all of the volume key presses the user creates when the volume key is pressed. Well when Butler's Volume Key option is enabled (in either mode -scrolling or switching), Butler does not allow those volume key presses to be transmitted to other applications. I have programatially verified this behavior. So the problem is with Butler at this point. I have tried all reasonalble workarounds to get this to work without modification to Butler but there is not a solution that is stable and acceptable.

    The old way VolumeCare was displaying this volume window was able to intercept the volume key presses before Butler got them. That is why the old version of VC did not have this problem. I hate to go back to this method when the real solution is for Butler to ignore volume key presses when there is an active phone call.

    I am very hopeful Butler's developer and I can get this working for everyone! We shold be able to talk live on the phone tomorrow about this issue.

    Jeff
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I am very hopeful Butler's developer and I can get this working for everyone! We shold be able to talk live on the phone tomorrow about this issue.

    Jeff
    Thanks Jeff,
    I appreciate a lot.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
  18.    #38  
    I just got off the phone with the Butler Developer. We finally figured out the issue and he will be making a change to Butler and releasing a fix in the next day or so.

    The problem turned out to be the way Butler was checking for the activity of the phone application. The Palm operating system was masking the identity of the phone application when VolumeCare's volume graph was displayed. This caused Butler to think the phone application was no longer active.

    Butler will be changed to now monitor for active phone calls rather than an active phone application. In this way, volume key will work consistently as volume keys when ever you have an active phone conversation in progress.

    I very much appreciate the posts reporting this problem! Hopefully, this shows how user reports can lead to good improvements in applications. Also that the 3rd party developer network for Palm is a tightly integrated framework that cooperates to deliver solutions to our user base.

    Jeff
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I just got off the phone with the Butler Developer. We finally figured out the issue and he will be making a change to Butler and releasing a fix in the next day or so.

    The problem turned out to be the way Butler was checking for the activity of the phone application. The Palm operating system was masking the identity of the phone application when VolumeCare's volume graph was displayed. This caused Butler to think the phone application was no longer active.

    Butler will be changed to now monitor for active phone calls rather than an active phone application. In this way, volume key will work consistently as volume keys when ever you have an active phone conversation in progress.

    I very much appreciate the posts reporting this problem! Hopefully, this shows how user reports can lead to good improvements in applications. Also that the 3rd party developer network for Palm is a tightly integrated framework that cooperates to deliver solutions to our user base.

    Jeff
    Thanks, Jeff, for working this out with the Butler developer.
    He just posted Butler verson 3.41 which appears to resolve the conflict, as far as I have been able to tell.

    Kudos to both of you!!!
  20. #40  
    Is anyone seeing resets while using the phone? The only message from #*377 is that a crash occurred while running Phone: Fatal Exception.

    Seems to have started after I started using VC 5.01. It does not happen everytime, so it is difficult to be certain about the cause, and i have lots of other applications on my Treo650.

    But, it has not happened since I disabled VC. And VC is one of the applications active (amongst others like Keycaps, uninstall manager etc).

    I find VC very useful despite Cingular's ROM update. I'll re-enable it after a few days and see if the resets re-appear.
    Last edited by aprasad; 12/17/2005 at 07:12 AM.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions