Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had my treo since feb 05, and i've owned a sena case for just as long (not the flip one). I use the case with the treo religiously because i wanted to prevent unsightly scratches.

however, almost after a year of use, the area surrounding the treo's screen is all nicked up and scratched! This is odd to me, as this part of the treo is always covered by the sena case and should theoretically be "protected". Makes me sad that the case i invested money in to prevent scratches may actually be exacerbating the problem.

Methinks it may be due to dust getting caught in between the case and the treo and over time, the dust just rubbed away some of the cheap paint that they used. Anyone else with a sena case notice this? Anyone else notice this in general with their treo cases?
  2.    #2  
    yeah, i'm using the leatherskin
    I'm in the same boat
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence
    I've had my treo since feb 05, and i've owned a sena case for just as long (not the flip one). I use the case with the treo religiously because i wanted to prevent unsightly scratches.

however, almost after a year of use, the area surrounding the treo's screen is all nicked up and scratched! This is odd to me, as this part of the treo is always covered by the sena case and should theoretically be "protected". Makes me sad that the case i invested money in to prevent scratches may actually be exacerbating the problem.

Methinks it may be due to dust getting caught in between the case and the treo and over time, the dust just rubbed away some of the cheap paint that they used. Anyone else with a sena case notice this? Anyone else notice this in general with their treo cases?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I have exactly the same problem with my Sena leather flipcase - it's the stitching along the vertical sides of the display aperature. The stitches are a very stiff nylon or plastic-type material that's very sharp to the touch.

I took a thin file and filed the stitches on the inside of the case down to prevent further scratching, but too late to prevent the original damage to the Treo displays' trim edge.

Still love the case, but wish it wasn't so...

doctorharrison
  5.    #5  
    Glad to hear that i'm not the only one...for the longest time I couldn't figure out what was causing these scratches! For a $40 case, you think they'd have thought that through...
    I also have chips along the bottom edge around the screen, as well as the sides

So much for protecting my Treo

No problem here with my Sena Skin. I use the skin when I carry the Treo in my pocket but otherwise, I take it off and carry in a Seidio holster.

Going to give the new Seidio skin a try in hopes of avoiding removing the skin every other day.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Ive tried 4 different cases from the metal to the leather cases and the one i use now is the krusell
    http://www.pcs-ltd.com/store/default...411a105e3cd3e1

It works great. I'm a mechanic, and I abuse it alot more then I should, But it has held up great
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Hmmm... That sucks. I just got the Treo 650 combo (LeatherSkin + Lateral Pouch). I think I'm going to return it then.
    i am going to purchase this combo (just sold my vaja PA31 to the mother-in-law for $50) i am aware of the scratchin problem so i will place tape along the inside of the case around the screen my question is how well does the leatherskin fit into the lateral pouch? is it snug (making it hard to take in and out)? with the leather skin on does the treo only face one way or could i flip it (screen to front or screen to back)

Thanks for any help
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Thanks im gonna order

oh by the way do you think masking tape around the interior of the case (just around window area) would be noticable through the case?

and do you think it would fit in the pouch with this skin on it?

http://www.boxwave.com/products/flex...eo-650_442.htm
    Last edited by Franko515; 01/04/2006 at 04:32 AM.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Ok... I stand corrected.

Started using a Seidio skin about three weeks ago and a couple of days ago, I noticed small scratches to the top area around the screen.

I checked the Sena case fit and there was a slight overlap in this area. My only guess is that the leather rubbed the area and scratched it.

Oh... and to answer the question, "why did I take off my Sena Case?". I had to take it off to use the Seidio holster I had. Now I use the Seidio skin and holster combo. Alot nicer.
  12.    #12  
    I think I'm going to shoot an email to Sena to make them aware of this problem. As it is, I don't think I would trust any more of my gadgets to their protection. I would have been much better off protecting my precious with a simple $10 sleevecase off fleabay! Well, maybe not much better off, but with an extra $30 in my pocket for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence
    I think I'm going to shoot an email to Sena to make them aware of this problem. As it is, I don't think I would trust any more of my gadgets to their protection. I would have been much better off protecting my precious with a simple $10 sleevecase off fleabay! Well, maybe not much better off, but with an extra $30 in my pocket for sure.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    I emailed them about it the day the OP posted this thread. Sena replied saying that they've never had a complaint about this and that it could be due to the stiff stitching on the underside of the leather around the screen. Their suggestion was to sand it down a little with find sandpaper or file it down with a filer. That worked for me as I don't feel any more "roughness" on the underside of that screen border.

One thing I wish they had included on the lateral pouch is a stylus holder. They could have stitched a piece of elastic (that would serve as a stylus holder) under the leather latch of the lateral pouch.
    WOW! Now I'm pissed. I notified Sena of this issue in September and they returned the below email to me telling me that they had never received a single complaint such as mine, and it was probably my carriers fault, and that i should carry insurance and i could get it replaced. Then they continue on suggesting that i may be carrying the phone incorrectly, and then they have the balls to paste in their warranty disclaimer and basically tell me they have no responsibility!! these people need to be exposed. their crappy product IS scratching the surface of treos. they tried to make me think it was my fault. now they are telling you they have never heard of this complaint? below is the 4 month old email that proves that are completely full of s**t. And yes, they did all the highlighting and font changes in this email to highlight their lack of responsibility.

----------------------

From: Sena Cases Customer Support [mailto:support@senacases.com]
    Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 8:27 PM
    To: jxxxx@gmail.com
    Subject: RE: Leather case scrathcing phone
    Importance: High

Dear Jack,

Thank you for your letter.

I am very sorry that you are experiencing the problems that you have with your TREO 650 telephone. We have never had a report from any customer of such a situation happening, while using a Sena Case to protect their device. We have produced thousands upon thousands of cases which are currently in circulation all over the world being used by customers of various climates etc, and never have we had one single report of damage to the actual casing on the phone. I think that you should contact the makers of the TREO 650 regarding the damage to the case on your telephone. I was never under the impression that this particular phone was “painted” we have been under the impression that this case on the TREO 650 is molded of metallic colored materials. Perhaps your vendor such as your carrier has modified the phone from its original state before reselling the device to you, during some type of remanufacturing of the item, to bear their logo or symbol. It may be the responsibility of your carrier if not of the actual phone maker to warranty the shell of the phone.

I personally have an ASURION insurance policy on my mobile phones at my home, and they have replaced my phone at a very minimal fee for various reasons with quality merchandise, comparable or better than what I had when the situation arose. In every situation they replaced my item with the same model except once when they upgraded my phone to a better one because the one I had been using had been improved and was no longer in circulation, and that upgrade did not cost me extra, so that is how I got my first camera phone. If after contacting the phone maker and your plan carrier you have no satisfaction please be sure to contact your insurance agent regarding what rights you have to replacement under warranty due to damage to your device.

There is no way for Sena to tell what condition any phone is in at the time a customer purchases and applies our case. We have no way of knowing if the phone is first quality or if it is factory reconditioned, if it is used and purchased thru a reseller on e-bay or on a street corner for that matter… If your carry the device in your pocket your phone could be exposed to moisture from your body temperature, if you carry the device in your purse, many factors can come into contact with the device, same situation if you are using a belt clip, the screen area is completely open and anything can get between the face of the cover and the phone and cause damage that we are not responsible for... etc. At the start of the business Sena consulted with our legal team, and e created a limited warranty, which is posted clearly on our web-site, that holds Sena Cases harmless in such a circumstance, where damage may occur to a customers phone, PDA, or video game, because we cannot be liable for unlimited situations which can occur to a persons belongings when the case and the belongings are not in our care. Certain circumstances such as customers individual use habits, climate, circumstances that a phone may have endured since in your possession is no responsibility of ours since we have not been able to monitor the phone or the case during such time. Please review our limited warranty, posted clearly in the Policies and Procedures section of the Sena Case web-site.

Limited Warranty

Sena Cases warrants to the original purchaser that its leather cases will be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of 1 year from the date of the purchase (all other products, including belt clips, clip tabs, and mirrors have a 30 day limited warranty). This limited warranty does not cover defects from product misuse, product neglect, product abuse, product tampering, product alterations, unauthorized product repairs, and damage while in transit to Sena Cases. Further, this warranty does not cover any consequential damage to a person or property other than the product purchased.

Sena Cases reserves the right to repair or replace our Sena Case product if limited warranty applies

I hope that you find a resolution to your problem, Because we have never heard of such a thing we really truly hope that you get a positive response from the phone maker and your phone plan carrier, I hope that they warranty the phones cover to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Rhonda Doncaster

Customer Relations Division

Sena Cases

Here are the pictures of my phone which had been in a Sena case since the second day I had it and NEVER been out of it. It looks destroyed...

http://jserenci.home.comcast.net/sena.jpg

http://jserenci.home.comcast.net/sena2.jpg

-----------------

every person on this site should know of this deception. this company is masking an obvious issue in order to sell a bad product instead of fixing the problem and selling a quality product. they don't give a crap about you. they want another dollar. but they are too stupid to understand that screwing the customer is not the way to a sucessful business.
    Last edited by EvilJack; 01/09/2006 at 12:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    what a lousy response from sena. I will make sure never to order a product from the thieves. I am sorry to see you're having that kind of trouble with them. I should think sena can be made directly responsible for selling a product that should have been recalled or discontinued.
    Last edited by vw2002; 01/09/2006 at 08:22 PM.
    Sena just lost my business.

SENA, are you listening?
    My dad had a Sena case that made the exact same scratches. He took it off. They are nice cases but apparently do make scratches. He has a Verizon phone straight from Verizon.
    Here are some pics of mine. Haven't tried to contact them yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Update: Sent them an email this morning and sent a link to my post in this thread. Looks like they read the rest of it and got a nice response which I'm following up on:

Dear Scott,

We are sorry to hear that you have this problem.

As you know, Sena Cases, is known for its quality products and, for years, we have been providing high quality leather cases for many different PDA’s and smartphone’s. A very large percentage of our customers are very, very happy with their purchases and they become loyal Sena customers. To keep our customers happy, we have been always listening customer feedback and taking these feedback into consideration and continually improve our services and products. For this reason your feedback is very valuable to us.

Also thank you for forwarding the thread on the discussion forum. Our management just became aware of this correspondence and we certainly do not approve the approach taken by our customer support on this issue.

We take every complaint into consideration and investigate thoroughly, however our quality control and design team takes action when the percentage of one complaint passes certain ratio. Even though our system shows only 4 complaints out of tens of thousands of users, our management is taking proactive measures to remedy this complaint immediately, by initiating an extensive investigation.

Also, please note that our cases are individually handcrafted one at a time by skilled craftsmen, and there is some variation due to the handcrafting process. Therefore, there may be slight differences from one to another. It is very possible that a very few number of cases may carry this problem due to these differences (such as how the stitching ends, how tight it is, etc..). However, we understand that it is our responsibility to totally eliminate these imperfections. As I said we have already started making changes in (at) our manufacturing process and the materials used. The new process and materials will go through an extensive testing in an effort to eliminate this issue completely.

For thorough research, based on the fact that we have so many happy Sena Treo LeatherSkin customers, we also would like investigate whether this issue occurs on all kinds of Treo casings or certain types. Our tests on Treo 650 have always been done on new Cingular devices.

We will be glad if you can provide us

a) the carrier (Sprint, Verizon, Cingular,etc..)

b) refurbished or original (whether the phone is replaced by warranty)

Again, thanks for sharing your feedbacks with us. We will definitely continue to seek additional information based on your recent report .

Regards,

Frank Oten

VP, Sena Cases

^
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast