Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm just sick of Documents to Go. Their upgrades are piecemeal and pricey, but more important their program is constantly buggy. I desperately need some good tips on a competitor program that actually works reliably. Particularly, this is an important program and I can't have a key document become unavailable suddenly when I'm on the road.

After reinstalling my entire PDA trying to resolve crashes caused by trying to back out of an open document (DTG would cause the PDA to reboot every time), Docs To Go then proceeded to create Doc_1 copies of everything. The troublesome doc did work. So I then had to delete all those and re-add all the original Docs I had. I updated the view on all documents too.

After doing all that I came back to a document and it immediately crashed my PDA again. Docs to Go now just crashes every time I try to get out of the doc i have open and open another.

So, I download their tech tool and uninstall the program yet again. Doesn't help. Now I have to delete the saved preferences.prc file, which wipes out every stored registration data point I have and requires re-registering all my 3rd party products. So now it sort of works--until the next time.

DataViz's only solution: do a hard reset, start over again, rename your Palm backup folder, reinstall everything. SCREW THAT!!!!!!!!!!! Enough of that.
    QuickOffice is one alternative. I think there is another, but the name escapes me at the moment.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  4.    #4  
    Thanks....

any specific distinctions or recommendations anyone like to make amongst them?
    There is also MobiSystems Office Suite
    My vote is for OfficeSuite by Mobisystems. It works great.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    I was surprised to see Wordsmith is now being sold by Handmark. I wish they would have kept developing it. It used to be the best, by far.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I will give another plug for MobiSystems Office. I was a long time QuickOffice user but as far as I know they still cannot save documents in .doc .xls.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

9.    #9  
    Wordsmith seems down and dirty--not an insult. I think it is an excellent program for someone who just needs some simple things done in a way that integrates easily with Palm OS. MobiSystems seems by far the most complete, maybe a little too complete, but I'm going to demo it... thanks.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    +1 for MobiSystems OfficeSuite. Best looking of the bunch.

ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    I too am getting tired of Docs To Go - The problems might be self-inflicted though... I need to be able to sync with 2 different computers (home & work) - I have some home docs that I would prefer not be synced to the work computer and vice versa... I'll even live with not being able to do that and just keep all the docs on both PC's - but the renaming files is a pain, and I apparently caused other problems by reinstalling DTG on the home PC, so the next time I synced at work (without realizing it) the docs weren't being sync'ed anymore.

Is it just really bad practice to try syncing to 2 different machines with DTG?
    When Docs to Go is working fine - it's great, and I used it for a long time. But some serious issues cropped up which I couldn't resolve after uninstalling/reinstalling several times on the Treo and on the desktop. I couldn't get any meaningful help from tech support.

So I switched to OfficeSuite, and haven't had any problems with it.
    But Ouch! Another $70? That hurts...
    I just received a email this morning showing OfficeSuite Classic on sale now for $20, regularly $40. http://www.mobi-systems.com/product-info.asp?ID=184
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Now we're talking! Thanks heberman.
    Quote Originally Posted by rctoyguy
    Is it just really bad practice to try syncing to 2 different machines with DTG?
    I sync my work computer with docs to go and then use a card reader when I am at home (since I save all my docs on the sd card.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I had simular issues with the Spreadsheet side of things. When I called and explained the issues, I was put on hold for a while. When he came back, I got the feeling this is a known issue. It cropped up on me after the 7.006(?) upgrade. I was told to try version 8. He said if version 8 fixed it he would send me a free upgrade from 7 to 8. I say try calling in and be persistant. Docs 8 hasn't crashed yet on me..
    Unlocked Treo 650 (Nov 05) BTW: T-Zones sux!
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Just some advice to 600 users re Mobisystem's OfficeSuite: it's not designed to work on anything with less than a 320x320 screen, not that this stops some some reseller sites from listing the 600 as a compatible device.

I emailed Mobisystems about a possible workaround, but they didnt know of any. I'd be interested if any 600 user knows of some hack.

geoff
    ...to handle .docs and spreadsheets....i'm tired of fooling with the resets and crashes that come standard with Docs to Go ....what stable alternative is out there?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast