Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I have a Cingular T650 unlocked with GoodLink installed. It is the company standard. Not sure where a CrackBerry would be any better than this, but I digress. When I updated the software to 1.17 Palm's instructions were great for GL users. They said to back up the software to a blank SD card so that all properties and preferences could be easily restored. This worked fine and I have had good luck with the update until today when I installed an old game that sent my Treo into a constant reset loop. Tried soft and warm resets with no luck breaking the loop. Ended up doing a hard reset thinking I was probably going to have to go to the guys in IT and have them reinstall GL for me. But I found the Install GL icon and thought, what the heck and tapped it. It then did a complete install from the back up I still had on my memory card and I am back in business.

My question is this, since I will now always keep a back up of my GL on my memory card for when I make another stupid mistake, should I do periodic backups from GoodLink? Or does it really matter and the original backup will be all that I need?

PS the game was Galaxy Ranger.
    I do a back-up once a month, but that is overkill. It is my understanding that the only time you need to back-up is when you install a new version. That way, when a hard reset or other re-install requirement occurs, you get the most current version. All your email, calendar events, etc., are on the Exhchange server, so it pulls them all back down after you re-install. I do it whenever I reprovision my phone, but that is just me being a bit anal.

As a side note, don't forget to do a 'fetch' command to repopulate your folders. I will re-post the fetch sequence in a sticky later today.
    How do you force a backup to the SD card?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    How do you force a backup to the SD card?
    Menu=>GoodLink Preferences=>Back Up
    How do you restore from a backup?
    GOODGUY, i cannot get the backup to work with FAT32. why is this?
    Custom ROM hacks are not supported.
    Sure would be nice if Good backup would work with Fat32. I had to reload Good over the air because of this incompatibilty. I was planning to get a 4 GB memory card any day so I want to stick with FAT32.

I know Goodguy said that this was unsupported. Any chance you could ask engineering to look at this issue anyway? At some point (hopefully soon) the Treo will support Fat32 natively.
    I found a solution to this.

The problem isn't the ability to run GDINSTALL, the problem is to create it in FAT32, so just create it beforehand.

BEFORE you convert to FAT32, do a backup as usual to your SD card. somewhere, a program called GDINSTALL is created. find it and copy it into the PALM/applications subdirectory. suggest u also copy it onto another SD or your PC for backup.

I then copied my entire SD card contents to my PC (directory structure and all).

when you have done the FAT32 conversion, put your old SD card in and it should run automatically that GDINSTALL file. if it soesnt, then find it and run it manually.

it works for sure as I did the FAT32 conversion, reformatted my SD card to FAT32 and copied everything back on, put in into the treo and reinstalled Goodlink.
    Ekerbuddy - thanks for the writeup. Does what you describe help with the Goodlink backup application? When I try to run the app I get "Backup failed, errror accessing storage card." I have the FAT32 patch installed, but my 2GB SD card is still formatted to FAT.

I can run OTAsetup to reinstall Good, but before upgrading to FAT32 I could restore Good from my SD card which is a lot faster.
    I've had no problem with this, with using custom roms, with and without Fat32.
    First of all, the Good backup doesn't backup your data, just your application. You don't need the data, as you can sync again when you've reinstalled. So one backup is all you need.

Generally, before updating my rom I do a hard reset. Then after it's complete, I put the card back in and I am asked if I want to reinstall GoodLink. I did this before and after an update to Fat32 and it was not affected. (My card is still in Fat16, but I don't think that makes a difference, as long as the driver on the Treo can read the file structure on the card.

ekerbuddy, I don't think that's the issue here. After all FAT32 drivers are backwards compatible. ANd just yesterday I went from the official ROM with a FAT driver to the custom ROM with a FAT32 driver, and both times I reinstalled Good from the same backup on the same card.

I'm guessing that something went wrong with the upgrade and the driver didn't get installed correctly; can you access the card's file through other apps? Or maybe the backup files themselves got corrupted.
    Dennis - can you confirm that you can run the Goodlink backup application with FAT32?

When I launch the Backup app the Backup location name is garbled. When I try to run the app I get "Backup failed, errror accessing storage card." I have the FAT32 patch installed, but my 2GB SD card is still formatted to FAT.
    I recall that I could reinstall GL from the SD card after installing FAT32. Since I upgraded my Good client to 4.8 after FAT32 I have no way of using the Good app to backup the client software to SD card.

Is it possible to manually copy over the Good files to RAM and achieve the same results? I could use FileZ for that. Does anyone have a list of files that Good copies to SD when the Good backup app is run?
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    Dennis - can you confirm that you can run the Goodlink backup application with FAT32?
    Yes, just tried it again.
    And I just realized, what's interesting is that when I have the FAT32 driver the name for the Card is never garbled, but in FileZ, the name for the hidden internal drive is garbled.

As to your next question, I don't know of any way to restore from a GoodLink backup except from the backup made from this application. I have tried multiple times from the BackupMan backup, but it never works, and I have to delete all the files and start again with the GL backup.
    I tried it again too. No Go. I can not backup Good to the SD card with the FAT32 patch installed. I can restore, but not backup.

I tried the SD card formatted with FAT32 and FAT. In both cases the card name is garbled and I can not back up Good to the SD card. Very strange that you can get the backup to work with your setup.

I have the FAT32 patch installed on 1.20-ENA and firmware 1.71.

BackupBuddyVFS and Zlauncher and its file manager work fine for other apps.
    What is the volume name for your SD card?

I sure would like to figure this one out.
    bump.

Can folks comment here on whether you can run the Goodlink backup application with FAT32?
    Why can't I get anyone to respond to this request?

Can folks comment here on whether you can run the Goodlink backup application with FAT32?

I was convinced that FAT32 would break the Goodlink backup application. I think restore works, but some have reported that backup works too.
    Success. I just upgraded my SD card to 4GB, formatted it to FAT32 and now I can successfully backup Good to my SD card in my Treo 650. Yeah.