1.    #1  
    Got the TomTom 5.040 with PalmOne GPS and noticed some roads which are about a year or so old are not named. Does TomTom ever update that info or is there some way I can name them or update the database myself?

Please let me know (nicely) if this is covered in some other thread...
    There probably is an answer in another thread

But, the short answer is: NOT for free!

They will offer updated maps every year-or-so, but you have to buy them. Software upgrades are often free. Maps never are.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    A year old isn't bad, I have run into streets which are more than 2 years old and haven't been updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF
    A year old isn't bad, I have run into streets which are more than 2 years old and haven't been updated.
    That's true. I've updated my maps in the past hoping it'll catch up with most of the construction where I live only to find they are still missing quite a few roads which have been around for 2+ years!

That is one thing Mapopolis has over TomTom. Their map service is much more current for USA maps. Too bad TomTom software blows them away, or I'd go with Mapopolis just for the better maps.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk
    I've updated my maps in the past hoping it'll catch up with most of the construction where I live only to find they are still missing quite a few roads which have been around for 2+ years!
    For what it's worth, Tomtom does have a method to report map errors on their web site. I believe you have to log in to do so. But, if you have specific corrections you'd like to see, it may increase the chances that they are addressed in the next release.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    For what it's worth, Tomtom does have a method to report map errors on their web site. I believe you have to log in to do so. But, if you have specific corrections you'd like to see, it may increase the chances that they are addressed in the next release.
    True enough. But, it's not their maps you know. I'm sure they must just pass the notes along to the map service they purchase from.

I'd be curious to know what the map service does with these reports. They obviously need more than that to update the NavTech stuff.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    I'd be interested in knowing what they do with the reports as well. My assumption is that they forward them to the mapping company and they go into the bank of locations to be verified. Since they literally send people out in cars to drive every place, I'm not surprised it takes so long for updates. I couldn't believe that's how it's done until I saw a story about it on 60 Minutes or something. At the root of all technology is a lot of manual labor.
    I'd be curious to know what the map service does with these reports. They obviously need more than that to update the NavTech stuff.
    For those who haven't seen it, this is what Tomtom says about the form:
    "Thank you for taking time to report your comments on the map data of your TomTom product. TomTom has set up this special form to capture your comments and be able to prioritize your feedback so that we can track it closely.

This form is reserved for reporting errors on the maps (e.g. missing streets, wrong driving instructions, wrong one-way streets etc.) To allow us to analyze and solve any problem that you may encounter, we need your answers to the following questions. For any other questions and information about TomTom software, please click here.

TomTom aims to provide you with the most current and highest quality maps available in Europe and North America and your feedback is one important part in meeting that goal.

Sincerely, TomTom Customer Support Team"

The required input includes: your product, street name, city, country and a description of the error. Optionally you can provide cross street and latitude longitude. They also indicate this is for TeleAtlas maps.
    Does anyone know if there is a way to tell how old you maps are, which version, or something?

Thanks,

-James.
    USR Pilot 5000, Palm Pilot Pro, Palm V, Sony Clie 610, Sony Clie TG50, Sony Clie UX50, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680
    Last week, I sat on a plane next to an executive of the company that provides the maps to Tom Tom. He told me that new map updates for North America were being released in July. While I was sitting there, I tried programming a favorite POI into my Treo to a restaurant that I was supposed to go to for a meeting when we landed. Tom Tom could not find the restaurant in its POI database. The map guy looked embarrassed and said that the restaurant must be new. Turns out, after I got there, this resturant had been a landmark in Pittsburgh for many years!
    How does one add a POI? If i go to Change Preferences > Manage POI > ... The "Add POI is greyed out. Any suggestions?
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    How does one add a POI? If i go to Change Preferences > Manage POI > ... The "Add POI is greyed out. Any suggestions?
    I guess you need to have a GPS signal to add a POI?
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    well that could be it! Guess I'll have to test again when im in my car.
    Map providers are usually either NavTeq or TeleAtlas. NavTeq is the leader and has better data - Mapopolis redistributes NavTeq maps. TomTom uses TeleAtlas.

I use TomTom because of the far superior software, but also wish they would switch to NavTeq - however, they are locked to TeleAtlas until 2007 according to the 3 year extension TomTom signed with them in 2004.

The biggest wish is that either Mapopolis or TomTom signs a deal with LandSonar so we get accurate road-speed data based on accident status and time of day/day of week instead of just assuming all roads are moving at full speed. That's the real one to focus on getting them to implement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    well that could be it! Guess I'll have to test again when im in my car.
    Didnt work
    1. My house has been here for 163 years but TomTom puts it 1/2 mile away on the same road.

2. A hotel I built 5 years ago can not be found by TomTom, the closest address it recognizes is 1,000 "house numbers" away.

3. On the Jersey Turnpike, TomTom has me bearing right and 200 yars later bearing left.....on the highway, it's two lanes straight ahead....only way to "bear" is to hit a barrier.

4. My most frustrating aspect though so far is that the route it picks from A to B is vastly different than B to A. On my trip up to the stte capital, even after I forced a waypoint, it continually had me exiting to retrrace up to 30 miles to take a differen t road. On the way back, it took me door to door perfectly.

Here's their Process:

"This is also the case for review of all errors TomTom customers submit via our website. These errors are passed on to our digital map supplier, TeleAtlas, whose personnel will then in many cases, survey the location on the ground to analyze and register different situations. "
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Didnt work
    Ah well, worth a try!

Tom Tom ain't perfect, but I'd rate it 4 out of 5 overall
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgood72
    Does anyone know if there is a way to tell how old you maps are, which version, or something?

Thanks,

-James.
    Go into preferences> show version....

True enough. But, it's not their maps you know. I'm sure they must just pass the notes along to the map service they purchase from.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Recently I was at a gps meet in the UK & teleatlas were there. They showed me their vehicle for logging info. I was also able to discuss with them known map errors. 99% of them they knew about.

The telling thing was that they said that Tom Tom had to implement the changes in their coding of the maps, so, after my discussions with them, I guess that most maps errors are actually down to Tom Tom not updating their maps with the latest info, and not so much down to the mapping supplier.

Not forgetting that all the info gathered in Teleatlas's vans etc is then sent to india for coding (cheap labour!).

Basically I blame Tom Tom for most of the map errors and not Teleatlas.

Teleatlas will normally go out and visit the site mentioned in any reports to confirm the data given them - I spoke to a girl who did that in the south east UK.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201