1.    #1  
    i constantly find that my speaker is quiet while on a call, and check only to find that it is several bars below max, despite the fact that i never put it there, as my hearing sucks and i need it as loud as possible.

could another program be doing this? i use tcpmp for vid and realplayer for music.

the earpiece volume is independent of speakerphone volume i believe, but i keep speakerphone volume several bars from max.
    sounds like your treo is resetting. after a reset volume goes back to factory default.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    After you set the volume to the max, did you confirm it with select key? May be a soft reset might do the trick. I am not sure since I am using volume care.
    Treo 90>>>Clie T615>>>ppc viewsonic V36>>>UX50+128MB+TH55>>>SE P900>>>Treo650+256mb+512mbSD>>>Cingular 8525+1gb>>>Current Palm Centro+2gb & AT&T Tilt+2gb
  4.    #4  
    i bet it's soft resetting, for some reason i have crazy resetting issues when switching from tcpmp to another program, despite 'clear playlist' and then switch. switching from blank tcpmp to main program menu does it the most frequently it seems.
    Sounds to me like you may want to try VolumeCare to manage your Treo's volume. This application will also significantly increase the overall loudness of your Treo's speakers (handset, headset and speaker phone).

Jeff
  6.    #6  
    i'm sure the answer is the obvious, but won't it degrade the speaker using it at a level beyond what the manufacturer decided was loudest?
  7.    #7  
    will that keep my earpiece volume fixed even thru a soft reset?
    Quote Originally Posted by bingalpaws
    i'm sure the answer is the obvious, but won't it degrade the speaker using it at a level beyond what the manufacturer decided was loudest?
    There is no evidence to support this worry. I have over 50,000 installations of VolumeCare and no confirmed reports of speaker damage. But also be aware that just because VolumeCare opens up the volume range, does not mean that you have to use all of what VolumeCare provides. YOU have complete control over the entire volume range the Treo is capable of producing.

The answer to the question in your next post is yes. VolumeCare will manage and enforce a consistent starting volume for every phone call when that call uses the Handset, Wired Headset and/or speaker phone.

VolumeCare will also allow you to adjust the loudness of your Microphone's volume. In this way you can adjust your voice volume so your callers can better hear you.

Jeff
  9.    #9  
    does it make it louder by degrading the sound quality or by just giving more watts to the speaker?
    Quote Originally Posted by bingalpaws
    does it make it louder by degrading the sound quality or by just giving more watts to the speaker?
    VolumeCare provides compelte control over the sound levels. With increased sound comes a level of increased distortion. BUT I have provided compelte control over this sound 'tuning'. You have the ability to adjust both the pre-amp (boost) and the amp (volume) within VolumeCare. Give it a try and see what you think. I have been told by almost everyone that uses VolumeCare that this is a *must have* application for the Treo.

Jeff