Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After working with Shadowmite to get the ROM dump/restore stuff working, I made it my goal to get Linux booting on the Treo.

I've been hacking away for the last week or so, but Linux now starts on the 650! It gets to the point where it's ready to start loading initrd and panics. It shouldn't take too long to get this working, however.

For those who enjoy eye candy, here's a link with the latest pics:

UPDATE: We now have a command prompt. All we need is a keyboard driver.

http://www.grack.com/programming/misc/TreoLinux.html
    Last edited by mmastrac; 12/13/2005 at 08:48 AM.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    After working with Shadowmite to get the ROM dump/restore stuff working, I made it my goal to get Linux booting on the Treo.

I've been hacking away for the last week or so, but Linux now starts on the 650! It gets to the point where it's ready to start loading initrd and panics. It shouldn't take too long to get this working, however.

For those who enjoy eye candy, here's a link with the latest pics:

http://www.grack.com/programming/misc/TreoLinux.html
    Mighty Impressive.
    Fantastic....keep us posted......
    !!!WOW!!!!!!WOW!!!

Fantastic
    Sorry, the signature is temporarly down for maintenance.
    Outstanding work!
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    That's the slickest thing ever.

Linux..Running on a Palm..without a daughter card or anything.

It looks like the built in kernel drivers are detecting the Bluetooth card. Thats a good sign right out of the box.
    -- Go Illini!
    I'm hoping that once this is ironed out, it's a "safe" thing to play with.. One can normally boot the Treo, or boot Linux and play with it without burning firmware etc. Maybe boot off the SD card or something.

Could be fun to mess with, but with these sort of things I always wonder if there's any real utility in it. Will it ever support the phone hardware? Or just proof of concept?
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    That's awesome! Now I have to dream about having a Linux Treo. Keep it up.
    Now this sounds neat and interesting.... But why? PalmOS already has the drivers for all the functions of the hardware.

What is your motive? I figured someone had to play devil's advocate.
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I can think of the benefits of Linux, things like actually running a real browser or a full fledged email solution, most of the office utilities you can run off your desktop then could be utilized on the Treo! I would ask the same thing though, would linux support the phone and would it function on the network, would other drivers or scripts need to be written for it to sign on the network properly? Keep up the good work!
    God bless you. I hope this is a catalyst for Linux Treo 650 development, I would love to see something like OPIE/QT on the Treo like Familiar Linux running on the IPAQ 3600 series. The 650 would be like a Sharp Zaurus on steroids.

If you need a mirror server for images, content, information let me know and I'm more than happy to host.
    Last edited by cesium1024; 12/13/2005 at 02:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Un4given
    Now this sounds neat and interesting.... But why? PalmOS already has the drivers for all the functions of the hardware.

Multitasking, a TCP stack that supports more than a handful of connections, memory protection (so when an app crashes it doesn't cause the Treo to reset). Maybe 3rd party drivers for SDIO devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by Un4given

As a Zaurus owner I can tell you that the Treo has been a significant step down in terms of functionality. There are TONs of things to take advantage of for Linux. I've run real X windows, and accessed windows shares directly. And run tools like Octave, Kismet, Mplayer, etc.

Sure the OS that came with it will let me do a little, but Linux would let me do a LOT! I know from experience I have had other PDA's including the Psion Revo and Apple Newton. (The Zaurus was not without its faults, but Linux was not one of them.)

Have you ever run an app on your desktop PC via a SECURE remote X senssion?
    Run Emacs?
    Written a shell script to handle some simple little task?

Linux on the Treo would be a godsend.
    I am very excited to see this happening.

I'm not a professional coder, but I am an electrical engineer and a linux user, so if I can be of help, let me know.

This is great!!!!

[EDIT] Would you guys be able to post the entirety of the startup messages? I'm interested to see what hardware it's finding.
    Last edited by theloudroom; 12/13/2005 at 08:57 PM.
    Wow! So how would this work? Would we still be able to use the phone part of the Treo? Would we still be using Palm apps. (*.prc and *.pdb files)? Would desktop Linux apps. really run on a Treo 650 with Linux?
    Quote Originally Posted by theloudroom
    Have you ever run an app on your desktop PC via a SECURE remote X senssion?
    Run Emacs?
    Written a shell script to handle some simple little task?
    vnc

ssh

ssh

;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    vnc

ssh

;-)
    This is of course, not a remote X session. Not a bad idea at all, but not what I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Would desktop Linux apps. really run on a Treo 650 with Linux?
    Yep. It's not necessarly easy, and I wouldn't reccommend trying to run something as big as OpenOffice, but with a linux kernel that supports the right hardware it's certainly possible.

I imagine most people would use something more like the Opie distribution for the Zaurus, reworked to run on the Treo.

http://www.linux-fuer-alle.de/images...aurus-main.png
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Wow! So how would this work? Would we still be able to use the phone part of the Treo? Would we still be using Palm apps. (*.prc and *.pdb files)? Would desktop Linux apps. really run on a Treo 650 with Linux?
    I see the need for the inferior Palm .prc and .pdb applications and files being a long distant memory. Linux would likely mitigate the need to install any of those applications.

Oh how I dream of sshfs, sftp, scp, OPIE/QT applications, mplayer...

The only downside I see is getting the phone to work. Should someone harness the phone application I would likely soil my pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    I see the need for the inferior Palm .prc and .pdb applications and files being a long distant memory. Linux would likely mitigate the need to install any of those applications.

Oh how I dream of sshfs, sftp, scp, OPIE/QT applications, mplayer...

The only downside I see is getting the phone to work. Should someone harness the phone application I would likely soil my pants.

I don't think the Palm apps are "inferior". I don't think there are Linux versions of alot of the apps. and games I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    Not just the phone, but the SD card.
    This was a real sticking point with the Zaurus... the SD card driver was closed-souce.
    It could not be run with anything but Sharp's kernel.

The solution I imagine to this would be to graft the already existing driver for palmos into the kernel via some sort of wrapper. I imagine the phone needs a driver as well, which may or may not require this approach.

Option B would be reverse engineering enough to write a whole new driver. I'm not aware of anybody doing this successfully with the zaurus, but it's not completely impossible.
    Should someone harness the phone application I would likely soil my pants.
    Already being worked on. Both the cdma and gsm modems appear to be completely controlled by at commands. Simply changes some gpio settings to connect to it and you'll be dialing 1-900 numbers in no time!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast