Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    All,
    your effort are great and I loof forward for seeing the result. I think that this project is now focused on finding the correct drivers.
    Do you have an idea on wich kind of UI to use then? Is there something out there to be used?

Thanks again and keep us updated about your challenging path.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    Shadowmite,

Thanks for your efforts!

Would you care to estimate the likelyhood of getting the following working (on a scale of 1 to 10) on the 650 within the next five months or so:

1. dual-boot Linux and PalmOS
    2. Bluetooth 1.2 under Linux
    3. SD-Wifi under Linux
    4. Skype under Linux (using Bluetooth 1.x or Wifi)

Thanks again ...
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    This one is not. Permiting we continue accomplishing our goals, this will be done and usable.
    Keep up the good work, I didnt meant to diminish what you guys are doing. Cant wait till you have a working phone.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Shadowmite, would allowing for dual boot also give the ability for both Palm and Linux to share the same PIM databases? Or would there have to be some sort of migration for that data and would that mean data would have to be duplicated in memory (requiring double the memory)?

Also, would it possible to boot from SD?! That would be so cool.

This is all very exciting.. I'm glued to my browser.
    <br>
    Actually the way it'll work is the root filesystem for linux will entirely be stored on the sd card. so you'd need to donate a portion of a sd card to linux. The only things going in memory would be a hack to the tpl to detect when to boot linux, and a kernel image.
    If the world is a perfect place in the next month Shadowmite will get this all up and running, the 700P (with wifi hardwired) will be released at a surprisingly low price and we can all use our 650s to play around and get our set ups perfected before putting it all on the 700P.

Oh, and don't forget to put your lost teeth under the pillow for the Tooth Fairy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    If the world is a perfect place in the next month Shadowmite will get this all up and running, the 700P (with wifi hardwired) will be released at a surprisingly low price and we can all use our 650s to play around and get our set ups perfected before putting it all on the 700P.

Oh, and don't forget to put your lost teeth under the pillow for the Tooth Fairy.
    I'm sure if this works, Shadowmite will test it on his 700.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I believe he was only briefly shown a 700P and he does not have one. . . .
    Correct (Perry).
    shadowmite...what is your opinion of this 800p rumor?
    I really can't say. What I saw was a unlabeled device, as most of their early beta devices are. They are free to change the name of the device up until they mass produce them. As such, who knows... All I know is palm is playing this the right way now and earning their stock increases...
    thanks for the added info. I was wondering about slinky's assertion that the 800p had a new slimmer form factor and redesigned keypad.
    Ahh, a breath of fresh air from the insanity that surrounds us. . . .
    go back to your room
    whats the latest on this project? will it work on the 700w?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Any update on this project??can anyone provide step by step convert palm treo 650 -> linux treo 650?thanks
    They have Linuix running on it, but core features such as the phone don't work yet.

Check out http://www.hackndev.com/ and http://hackndev.com/palm/treo650
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    vnc

ssh

ssh

;-)
    FYI, I don't know about ssh, but there IS already a Palm VNC app. I've used it on my Samsung SPH-i500, and I'm using it on my Treo 650. I run version 2.0.5, which is ancient, but seems to work fine, and it also connects back nicely to UltraVNC. Both support "server side scaling" which will allow you to scale the big screen down to the smaller Palm screen, but not do so on the client side which would require transmitting everything.

That said, I'm looking forward to the day when I have a good PDA environment (like Palm) with a touch screen, Outlook synchronization, on a stable multi-tasking hacker-friendly OS like Linux.

Now, give me that in the old Samsuing SPH-i500 small clamshell flip form-factor with dedicated big one-handed blind touch dialing phone keys and I'm in heaven! Many PDA phone designers seem to forget that the touch-screen simulated phone buttons provide no tactile positioning or action feedback. Ah well.

But give PalmVNC a try if you didn't already know about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by robo45h View Post
    FYI, I don't know about ssh, but there IS already a Palm VNC app. I've used it on my Samsung SPH-i500, and I'm using it on my Treo 650. I run version 2.0.5, which is ancient, but seems to work fine, and it also connects back nicely to UltraVNC. Both support "server side scaling" which will allow you to scale the big screen down to the smaller Palm screen, but not do so on the client side which would require transmitting everything.

That said, I'm looking forward to the day when I have a good PDA environment (like Palm) with a touch screen, Outlook synchronization, on a stable multi-tasking hacker-friendly OS like Linux.

Now, give me that in the old Samsuing SPH-i500 small clamshell flip form-factor with dedicated big one-handed blind touch dialing phone keys and I'm in heaven! Many PDA phone designers seem to forget that the touch-screen simulated phone buttons provide no tactile positioning or action feedback. Ah well.

But give PalmVNC a try if you didn't already know about it!
    Sure, and it sucks.. pssh works pretty decent, but.. You missed the entire point.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast