Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Have you guys looked into this project for some help...

Garux : a Linux bootloader for the Palm OS
    http://garux.sourceforge.net/
    Some helpful info on the GSM AT command specs:

I work on the phone application for the Sidekick II (www.danger.com), and even though I prefer our device to the Treo 650 for a variety of reasons (nicer keyboard, better UI, cool flip screen ;-)), getting Linux booted on the Treo is a pretty cool hack. Here is a little bit of info that you might find useful if you want to work on GSM phone software for Linux. I have heard that the CDMA Treos use a different, and incompatible, type of interface to that modem, although I could be wrong. The GSM/3GPP specs are downloadable in Word .doc format but they open just fine in OpenOffice.

Basic AT command set:
    http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/27007.htm

AT commands for SMS:
    http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/27005.htm

GSM multiplexer protocol (allows multiple channels of AT commands):
    http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/27010.htm

Happy hacking!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    I'm pretty quiet because I'm spending all my time hacking to make Linux work for you guys.
    Let the genius work! Wow! Palm should pay you guys, instead.
    You know it would be funny if you guys can get linux to work on the Treo before even Palm releases their own PL Treo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Update: we have merged the 2.6.15-hh0 kernel into our tree and now have the sound and touchscreen drivers working! We should very soon have a working GPE enviroment (x-windows for handhelds)!

Our biggest holdups now are a power savings "standby" mode and the cellular appication. And of course the kicker, the TPL hack which will enable the treo to be dual bootable!
    keep up the great work!
    Being the year of the dog this should be a good year for mites. Looks like Shadowmite is on track to outdo his already stellar performance.
    This is awesome news, guys. I hope it all works out.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    bumpin the thread up, I hope this goes through and completes. good work guys!
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Great News. Your work is much appreciated
    Great efforts guys ... keep up the pace!!

I'd love to run linux on my treo
    Bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-bump!
    <br>
    will this work on the CDMA verison?
    will this work on the CDMA verison?
    Why not ?
    Thanks for the update Shadowmite, I've been watching the wiki and you're forum topic on your site for any updates, this is great news.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Or just proof of concept?
    Thats what most of the "i got my phone/pda/game console/toaster/dog to boot linux!" experiments seems to be.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Thats what most of the "i got my phone/pda/game console/toaster/dog to boot linux!" experiments seems to be.
    This one is not. Permiting we continue accomplishing our goals, this will be done and usable.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    I got my VME chassis to boot linux... does that count?

;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Update: we have merged the 2.6.15-hh0 kernel into our tree and now have the sound and touchscreen drivers working! We should very soon have a working GPE enviroment (x-windows for handhelds)!

Our biggest holdups now are a power savings "standby" mode and the cellular appication. And of course the kicker, the TPL hack which will enable the treo to be dual bootable!
    Shadowmite, keep up the kick-a** work!!!

Where does one go to donate to this project?
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    I'm very excited about this as well, and would love to contribute if Shadowmite ever puts this into public development. I've done a lot of Linux development and UI design. I'd donate something as well if there's a development fund.

This is more than just another "I put Linux on this device" project, this has some great potential!

BTW, will work on things such as Gomunicate apply? Does anyone know if the CDMA modems use similar AT commands as the GSM/GPRS modems?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast