Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hey mmastrac, you started quite a buzz here - but you're been pretty silent.... :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Already being worked on. Both the cdma and gsm modems appear to be completely controlled by at commands. Simply changes some gpio settings to connect to it and you'll be dialing 1-900 numbers in no time!
    Very cool! I haven't typed ATDT in such a long time
    Now that you can boot linux. What are you going to do with it? I guess what I am asking is what good is it?
    One word... SWEET!
  5.    #25  
    I'm pretty quiet because I'm spending all my time hacking to make Linux work for you guys.
    So right now, having Linux on the Treo 650 doesn't have any advantage over PalmOS right?

Developers will still need time to port things over and they may not even port their apps. over since this is an unofficial thing.
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 12/13/2005 at 10:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Already being worked on. Both the cdma and gsm modems appear to be completely controlled by at commands. Simply changes some gpio settings to connect to it and you'll be dialing 1-900 numbers in no time!
    when I read this I peed in my pants ... just a little
    What over the use of 900 numbers to talk to your girlies you see on the TV at 0300? lol

I guess I'm kinda gettin' excited for it too. *shrugs* Could mean more opportunities.
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    .... do you think WM5 is a possible OS to load on the 650?
    michael [TX76Mike]
    BB Tour (Verizon) ∙ 16GB iPhone 3GS (AT&T) ∙ Palm Pre (Cricket)
    Follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by TX76Mike
    Now that would be interesting, but I'm not sure if that would work. I think the 650 and the 700w have pretty much the same hardware specs., but the screen resolutions are different and I don't think WM5 supports 320x320.
    If this was able to work, would it be possible to switch back to palm if one didn't find it useful?
    Quote Originally Posted by TX76Mike
    No.

I don't believe it has enough memory, and it would look funny on the screen anyway even if it did ever work.
    Wow! If I could get Linux running on my phone and still use it I would do it in a second. Great work!
    Why? Why? Why?
    As FYI, this article has been "slashdotted" at http://www.slashdot.com so prepare for worthless input.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxSwank
    If this was able to work, would it be possible to switch back to palm if one didn't find it useful?
    that's what I heard. A dual-boot solution was being looked at.
    I have a couple extra 650's that aren't in active use so let me know if you'd like me test out the code or rom that you have; I'd be willing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    that's what I heard. A dual-boot solution was being looked at.
    In the slashdot comments mmastrac said he does not flash it but loads the kernel straight into RAM and boots from there. I'm guessing maybe he uses a similar method that the T|E2 uses to flash - it has a AT-command like interface through USB.
    no, it uses a binary loader which is written for the ARM cpu. Loaded in the same way as the romrestore load files... once on, you can load any code to any address and jump to it.

My server is gonna be down for a bit... the load was WAY to high... It'll be back in about a hour or two.
    A dual boot!?!?! That would be cool. Maybe check for a certain file/program/partition on the SD card after hard reset and boot that instead...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast