Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I have a Treo 650 with firmware 1.71 / 1.20 and noticed my battery goes done quite alot.

i.e. If I talk to someone on the Treo 650 for 31 minutes my battery goes from 60% to 49% is this normal?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s
    I have a Treo 650 with firmware 1.71 / 1.20 and noticed my battery goes done quite alot.

i.e. If I talk to someone on the Treo 650 for 31 minutes my battery goes from 60% to 49% is this normal?

Thanks
    That seems like a lot (based on what others have posted) so I would say that's not normal. How long have you had your 650?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    For about a few days...

It's on it's first charge as I'm just starting to use it now...

Do I need to drain the battery and recharge a few times to get a proper reading?

Thanks
    read thru this thread. . . lots of good discussion and info . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=battery+drain

Cheers, Perry
    John_s

Make sure you don't have any other apps in the background. If it is a fresh update with just the standard apps, then you have a faulty battery. The batteries in the Treo like to be topped off. If you frequently find your battery down at 5% -15% on a daily basis, it could lessen the maximum voltage it can hold. this usually happens years down the road though.

If your Treo is a year or so old it shouldn't be a faulty battery. I think maybe you have an app in the background that is the main culprit.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trowa
    John_s

Make sure you don't have any other apps in the background. If it is a fresh update with just the standard apps, then you have a faulty battery. The batteries in the Treo like to be topped off. If you frequently find your battery down at 5% -15% on a daily basis, it could lessen the maximum voltage it can hold. this usually happens years down the road though.

If your Treo is a year or so old it shouldn't be a faulty battery. I think maybe you have an app in the background that is the main culprit.
    ==================
    How do I kill programs in the background, besides doing a reset?

Thanks
    i dont think its a faulty battery---i have had the same problem but ONLY since i upgraded from 1.15 (cingular) to 1.17.

i have even called palm (and cingular!) to complain...cingular was much better than palm was...but i know that there is no way that i can get "up to six hours" of talk time with a battery drain like that.

and no, i dont have anything running in the background either...

anyone else having this problem?
    My battery seems to drain much faster after the 1.17 CNG upgrade. I haven't quantified it yet, but there is a noticeable difference.

Way to go, Palm. One of these decades you'll get it right.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    i looked at another thread, that talked about downgrading the ROM.

can we (cingular) people do that? will the treo let you go backwards? if i knew that i would get better performance with 1.15 i would just go back to that until 1.18 comes out.

as a software developer, i know how to freeze up a computer quite well

but it seems that in this case, there is something running that is chewing up CPU time, especially when the phone is being used. i charged overnight on sunday-monday, and took it to work. made some calls, used my to-do list, etc. normal usage. i'm down to 63% now.

i called palm--the woman (who was not that good with the english speaking) was telling me that they say you get 40 (?!) hours with the phone radio on. i dont know about any of you, but i leave mine on all the time.

the question is...if palm has no idea about this problem, how do we have something to look forward to in the next update?
    Dang..thank god I haven't update mine.
    Treo 90>>>Clie T615>>>ppc viewsonic V36>>>UX50+128MB+TH55>>>SE P900>>>Treo650+256mb+512mbSD>>>Cingular 8525+1gb>>>Current Palm Centro+2gb & AT&T Tilt+2gb
    yea--it is probably best to wait until 1.18 at this point.

can we downgrade the ROM? or will the updater look at it and say "you have a higher version than the one you are attempting to write, so it will not work"
    I've noticed a noticeable increase in battery drain as well. I've also noticed call quality/reception has gone down a notch.
    i suppose that we should have all realized that there were problems just based on the number of people that had issues when they tried to update (there was a thread about it on here). i know that it crapped out on me two or three times, until i tried an "alternate" way to do it.

of course, if you want a conspiracy theory, then cingular can have palm screw up parts of the app on purpose...there is no reason that i shouldnt get good service.
    Last edited by jeremy_s_nyc; 12/15/2005 at 10:54 AM. Reason: adding more...
    I had a similar issue, in which the battery would completely drain overnight. I contacted Cingular and was then forwarded to Palm. The Palm engineer suggested to perform a hard reset (using the circular button inside the battery cover) while the charger was plugged in. I could not believe this to be different from a normal reset, however after leaving my phone overnight, I was pleasantly surprised to make a phone call in the morning.
    This always happens after every upgrade, there are always a small percentage of people who have problems afterwards. I upgraded my 2 650's with Cingular and am pleased with the upgrade, sound is great and battery life is just the same.