1.    #1  
    OK - I am not beyond saying I am doing it wrong, since that is probably the case, or I am just expecting more than is currently possible. Or maybe I don't understand how RSS is supposed to work. My only experience with RSS is with IntraVNews working with Outlook on my desktop PC - Outlook is set to check my mail every 1 minute, so when an RSS feed is updated, I get the update basically immediately.

I have a Cingular Treo 650 with unlimited data, and here is what I want to have:

An RSS reader that can be set to automatically update the feeds I get on a set (every X hours) schedule. - A notification when something is new would be an added bonus

I have tried several things...

Bloglines:
    Not too bad, but it is slow to navigate, even the bloglines/mobile page. Since it doesn't load the info actually to the Treo, that's good and bad - good since it doesn't require anything installed on the Treo, bad since you still have to wait for the pages to load to read what's new.

AvantGo:
    Takes FOREVER to sync, with only 1 RSS feed, USAToday, and AccuWeather. I really like that I can add sites like USAToday and AccuWeather, but I can't figure out how to have it automatically update the pages/feeds except when doing a sync, and as I said, that takes forever, and I should be able to take advantage of the Treo's on-line ability to keep them updated, shouldn't I? I have also had it hang the Treo up requiring a reset (take of battery cover, etc) - I have e-mailed AvantGo support, but have not gotten a reply - another strike against them.

QuickNews:
    I tried it for a little while, but removed it - I honestly don't remember why I took it off, but there was something about it that didn't work like I want/need. It also is not free.

Am I expecting too much, or am I just configuring something wrong in AvantGo?

Any help with this stuff would be great - as I said, I'm not blaming the software as much as I am just asking if this is even possible, and if so with what app, and then how is the app supposed to be configured? I use Snapper mail and love it - it checks my mail every 20 minutes, and 4Cast checks the weather every 3 hours - both of those were very easy to set up, and they work perfectly. I'm sure there is an RSS reader that will work the same way - isn't there?
    QuickNews is great, but, yes, it's not free..the navigation takes a little getting used to however, which might have been one of the issues you experienced.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  3.    #3  
    Will QuickNews allow you to schedule updates of feeds, like I mentioned? I would be willing to pay for something if it would do all of this and do it "right"... What about notifications for when it does update?
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Bloglines is MUCH faster if you access it with Xiino rather than Blazer. Plus, Xiino has a true cache that doesn't re-read the bloglines webpage.
  5.    #5  
    I might try to look at Bloglines with xiino then. AvantGo is pretty much out. I am using the trial of quicknews, and so far (this time) I am pretty happy with it. I can't get it to auto-update though. If I force an update, it works, but it won't do it on it's own so far. Can't it establish the connection itself? I have Snapper and Blazer set to disconnect on exit, is that part of my problem? That quicknews can't "dial in" to upate?
    Go into QuickNews preferences -> Auto Update and make sure the settings there are correct (like every hour, something like that). Note that if your data connection is off and QN starts the auto update process, the keyguard will display on for about 2 minutes (if that's what you have the power setting set to) and once that times has past the autoupdate will start work, connecting to the data connection and running the update.

Also may want to check the preference under Connection -> Ignore Update Frequencies. For each feed you can specify how often updates should occur, separate from the auto update. If that pref is checked, it will ignore the feed level setting and update each feed every time you do an update.

7.    #7  
    Thanks! on the update interval stuff, I had wondered about that, but I don't think I follow what you are saying - for example:

Feed 1 is set to update every 4 hours
    Feed 2 is set to update every 3 hours
    Feed 3 is set to update once per day
    Options-Pref-Auto Update is set for every 2 hours
    Ignore Update Frequencies is checked
    -- What happens?

Which update frequency is that checkbox ignoring? The feed specific ones, or the "main" one?
    Quote Originally Posted by rctoyguy
    Thanks! on the update interval stuff, I had wondered about that, but I don't think I follow what you are saying - for example:

Feed 1 is set to update every 4 hours
    Feed 2 is set to update every 3 hours
    Feed 3 is set to update once per day
    Options-Pref-Auto Update is set for every 2 hours
    Ignore Update Frequencies is checked
    -- What happens?

Which update frequency is that checkbox ignoring? The feed specific ones, or the "main" one?
    That checkbox is ignoring the update frequency set on the individual feeds. If checked all feeds will update every 2 hours (or at least QN will go check for updates on each feed).

I like Bloglines because my feeds, since their stored server side, are synced automatically between my Treo,Desktop, and my Laptop.

Wasn't QuickNews called Hand/RSS? I found it too limited on my T600. Perhaps the T650, its better.
    -- Go Illini!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfoster

Wasn't QuickNews called Hand/RSS? I found it too limited on my T600. Perhaps the T650, its better.
    " Please note:

We have discontinued Handheld Headlines/RSS, and now are supporting Quick News for Palm OS. Registered Hand/RSS for Palm OS users can upgrade to Quick News for free simply by downloading it and entering in your Hand/RSS registration code. "

11.    #11  
    Found my problem with QuickNews not pulling updates automatically... I thought about it as I was typing a post on the QuickNews message board, then they replied that it was the problem, then I confirmed it...

QuickNews can't run from the SD card and do autoupdates. I guess if I had mentioned here that I was running it from the card that some of you could have straightened me out. Now that QuickNews is updating as it should, I'm pretty much sold. It is weird to navigate, and I've basically given up on trying to do it with the 5-way, but otherwise, it is awesome. I even have it pulling podcasts now...

New question - What is the correct way of playing the podcast? Can QN launch the player with the file loaded? So far, I have only been able to close QN, open PTunes or RealPlayer and browse to the downloaded file.. This works, but since there is a setup option in QN, I figured there is some way to launch the player from within QN...
    QN can't run from the card but it will store all your feeds as well as the cache on your card. (I just detailed this today over at LuluLand). If you set it up that way, you'll only be using about 500k and you'll be able to have the auto updates.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Found my problem with QuickNews not pulling updates automatically... I thought about it as I was typing a post on the QuickNews message board, then they replied that it was the problem, then I confirmed it...

QuickNews can't run from the SD card and do autoupdates. I guess if I had mentioned here that I was running it from the card that some of you could have straightened me out. Now that QuickNews is updating as it should, I'm pretty much sold.
    I was the one who responded on their forums

It is weird to navigate, and I've basically given up on trying to do it with the 5-way, but otherwise, it is awesome. I even have it pulling podcasts now...
    I've gotten pretty used to the 5 way navigation although it does have a few quirks. In Preferences -> Shortcuts, make sure you change the "Open Article Popup" shortcut to something other than "5-way center". This will allow the 5 way center button to work correctly so you can highlight an article (use right and left on the dpad to navigate between the articles, and I think Single article list is the most intuitive), then click the center button to open the article, then use Up and Down on the dpad to scroll through the article.

Also on the shortcuts screen, see if the Auto-expand on Next checkbox at the bottom of the screen (new in 1.23e) is checked. This way if you want to go to the next article and have QN open it automatically, it will (Space bar is the default shortcut) be done.

The main issue I've seen is with multiple articles being highlighted on the screen if you highlight one article, scroll down highlight another (to open) and scroll back up, you'll have a few articles highlighted and it's tough to tell which one you're actually on. By clicking the center button again will then open the actual article you were on...or something like that, can't remember

New question - What is the correct way of playing the podcast? Can QN launch the player with the file loaded? So far, I have only been able to close QN, open PTunes or RealPlayer and browse to the downloaded file.. This works, but since there is a setup option in QN, I figured there is some way to launch the player from within QN...
    Yes, once the article is opened, click the 5 way center button again and you will see an option to Stream Podcast (or Play podcast I assume if you downloaded it). Or you can go to the podcast manager (menu-P) and play from there.

You know, one thing the Palm OS could use is a Bloglines Notifier. That would solve the problem of knowing when things update.

/now-there's-a-project-for-break...
    -- Go Illini!
  15.    #15  
    Yeah, I'm liking QuickNews more all the time... .Maybe Santa will bring me a registration number for it, or I'll have to just buy it myself -

I see that each feed can be set to update "wireless" or in "sync" - how does it do this in sync? There isn't anything running on the PC to get the info.... Is there a conduit I missed getting installed? No big deal, I am good with it as it is - just curious...
    Just buy it.

There is a hotsync conduit as well that can be installed.

17.    #17  
    LOL - sorry, that was my way of saying I am going to buy it... Thanks for all of your help. You have certainly shown me that it really does live up to the hype I had heard about it.

I don't know if you are associated with them (you should be) but you have been more than helpful and have helped make the sale for them, for sure.

A Happy QuickNews User....
    I'm not, but it is a cool program

Enjoy!

19.    #19  
    Got another "issue"... I have checked "Auto-download images" on one of my feeds (Yahoo US News), but they don't show up. The first several lines of text in each item is a link to the image on the site, and the other night I think I found where the images are being saved to the SD card.

Shouldn't it display the images in each item in the feed?
    First thing, do you have jpeglib.prc installed?

Second, in preferences -> Display, do you have Show inline images checkbox checked?

Third, if you do, I have that problem as well on other feeds, where some images are displayed within the feed and some are not. I'm pretty sure it's a bug and there are a few threads over at the standalone forum on this but not sure if they've been resolved.

Fourth, I believe QN will only display inline images that are .jpg files and not .gifs or others.

Lastly, inline images are not downloaded if you update the feeds via hotsync, only over the air.