1.    #1  
    After first 2 months of flawless activity, my 650 no longer hotsyncs with my Imac.

The message is 'connection between your handheld and the desktop could not be established'

I search the forums (read about 150 posts) and saw that some people report problems with their cables and others with the entry point on the treo. Does this sound like what I might have? I wiggled the connection area but that didn't seem to help, and I am reluctant to wiggle it to much to avoid creating new problem there.

Could this be a setting issue? I tried rebooting but no luck.

Any suggestions on what to try and in what order? What will it cost me to go bluetooth? have not explored that technology yet.

Thanks,
    Michael
    www.michaelrosman.com
    Last edited by treojuggler; 12/12/2005 at 10:07 AM. Reason: grammar, spelling
  2.    #2  
    Can anyone please chime in regarding my hot sync issue? Thanks. Michael

Don't want to sound impatient, but all of the other posts seem to have replies, and mine doesn't...feeling very unloved and neglected here.

Thanks.
    Michael
    beginning to run out of brain drive space for remembering which notes have gone into the Treo and which have gone into the Mac.
    Quote Originally Posted by treojuggler
    After first 2 months of flawless activity, my 650 no longer hotsyncs with my Imac.

The message is 'connection between your handheld and the desktop could not be established'

I search the forums (read about 150 posts) and saw that some people report problems with their cables and others with the entry point on the treo. Does this sound like what I might have? I wiggled the connection area but that didn't seem to help, and I am reluctant to wiggle it to much to avoid creating new problem there.

Could this be a setting issue? I tried rebooting but no luck.

Any suggestions on what to try and in what order? What will it cost me to go bluetooth? have not explored that technology yet.

Thanks,
    Michael
    www.michaelrosman.com
    Try a little (!!!)isopropyl alcohol on a swab - do both the male/females - check for any whispy cotton threads. Reset(soft) the Treo and do a direct cabled (non-cradle) connection and let us know if it works.

doctorharrison
    -----------------------------
    Treo650/G4 Powerbook/OS10.3.9
    from the frozen tundra known as Boston...
    Not sure if you're using Palm Desktop or Missing Sync. I've noticed that sometimes my treo and powerbook won't talk (same error message that you described). When that happens, I quit and then re-start Missing Sync. If all else fails, shut down and restart the Powerbook -- for some reason that usually resolves the problem for me.

Good luck!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the suggestions. So far I have rebooted the Mac, done a soft reset on the treo, and swabbed cable end and phone end with alcohol. No luck. I am using desktop sync. Is missing sync better? I called Palm and they are sending me a new cable. Think I may order from this site a cradle. Good idea?
    Any other suggestions? I have not done any uninstalls/reinstalls of software. but would rather not if I don't have too.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Michael
    Sorry to hear that the problem continues. The only other thing I can think to check: Have you recently started using a new case that may not provide enough clearance for the cable adapter?

Picking up a new cable seems like the best next step. If you also want to get a cradle, Treocentral is a reputable site (so no worries there).

Palm desktop vs Missing Sync: I find Missing Sync easier to use than Palm Desktop. But at $40, it's not cheap.

I hope the new cable resolves the connection problem. *Crosses fingers*
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the notes (Karenct and doctorharrison) I have requested a new cable from Palm, and it has been sent. I also bought a cradle online. Hope both (or at least one of them) will work. If not, I guess I need to start un-installing, re-installing, and whatever else people here suggest.

Thanks.

Michael