Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a sync window of a week but keep several months of older messages on Treo. I'd like to eventually limit the # of messages on the Treo to keep the database from getting too large. Can anyone recommend a simple way to delete last 200 messages or so from the Treo only?

Deleting old messages outside the sync window still deletes them on the server. If I take sync off temporarily that causes other problems.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    I'll add something to handle this; you're right, there's no easy way to do it.

Marc
  3.    #3  
    That would be great.... thanks.
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    This is in the latest beta...

Marc
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    how does it work.. what commands?
    It should be available in message view and mailbox view for messages older than the lookback date.

Marc
    Just curious why this is being implemented on IMAP, but not for POP, where something like this is far more common.
    Call me stubborn; it's a real pain in POP3...

Marc
    Fair enough.
  10.    #10  
    Sorry for being a bit dense, but I downloaded the beta but don't see the method for deletion.
    The option should be available for messages dated earlier than the lookback date (assuming the messages are synced).

Marc
  12.    #12  
    Marc, I see a delete for the treo only when I am looking at the message (under "actions"). Couple of comments-- 1st, the new option makes the list of options go beyond the screen. 2nd, I don't see the option when in the mailbox/list view. Finally, the way it's implemented now makes it difficult to delete lots of messages. The situation that makes the most sense to me is when the mail has been building up for a while and you want to delete, say, a month's worth of messages, or everything past some data. Or, the ability to select a bunch of message (by holding down the space bar) and then deleting them on the Treo only.
    Ok, I'll look. Frankly, it hasn't been tested much...

Marc
  14.    #14  
    Marc, do you think you'll be implementing more of a batch method of removing older messages on the Treo only (i.e., beyond the sync period)? Otherwise, the way it is now on the beta one has to open each message and delete it individually. Ideally it would be nice as a menu option on the message view to delete on treo only selected messages.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    Ok, I'll look. Frankly, it hasn't been tested much...

Marc
    Marc, do you have any time frame for when this might be looked at? Right now, when my mailbox gets too filled, instead of just removing a couple of months of old messages, I have to completely rebuild the mailbox from scratch. (Removing 1 message at a time (when there are hundreds) just takes too long.) Thanks.
    Yes, I am getting to it.

Marc
    So I found a bug today that caused "Delete Treo" not to appear in the message list in most cases. The question of "Delete Selected from Treo" is what to do if some messages CAN'T be deleted from Treo only (i.e. one is sync'ing and the messages are newer)...

Marc
  18.    #18  
    The question of "Delete Selected from Treo" is what to do if some messages CAN'T be deleted from Treo only (i.e. one is sync'ing and the messages are newer)...

Marc
    Marc, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here... sorry.
    So let's say you select 50 messages, and use "Delete Selected from Treo Only..." (which doesn't yet exist). What should be done if some number of these CAN'T be deleted only on the Treo?

Marc
  20.    #20  
    So let's say you select 50 messages, and use "Delete Selected from Treo Only..." (which doesn't yet exist). What should be done if some number of these CAN'T be deleted only on the Treo?

Marc
    OK, I think see what you mean. I can think of a couple of ways of handling this.

One way is just to say that if one deletes a message outside of the sync period (whether a single message or 50 selected messages) then the message deletes on the Treo only by default, since there should be no syncing (including deletes in either direction) outside of the sync range.

If that's not a good idea, then the delete-on-Treo-only would only delete messages outside of the sync period. If someone selects a message inside the sync period to delete-on-Treo-only, nothing would happen to that message (seems like a safer alternative than to delete on Treo and server).

I'm not sure this is answering your question... let me know.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast