Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I just realized that my Treo is still running on 1.15 firmware. I got everything installed and setup my programs with not much of problems. Should I do the upgrade even though my Treo's not giving me problems? Please voice me your opinions. I'm running a locked Treo 650 under Cingular.

Also, I was wondering if anyone had tried calling Cingular to get their Treos unlocked. The guy that sold me the phone said that 90% of the time, Cingular will refuse or tell the customers that they can't do it. I don't want to spend more money unlocking it although it would be a big use if I go overseas with it.
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
    My 650 wasn't giving me any problems either but I decided to do the software upgrade to version 1.17 anyway. The volume is definitely better but I still use VolumeCare because of machine noise coming from another room at my work plus some gabby people who work at the desks near mine.
    VersaMail is updated with 1.17 also. I don't use VersaMail so that didn't matter to me.
    Some people have reported running into problems while doing the update but finally succeed at about the third or fourth try. That was my case also.
    If I were to do it over again I would do a HotSync to back up my 650 then do a hard reset. I had problems because of some of my third-party apps but when I finally deleted most of my apps the upgrade went just fine.
    Pat

Unlocked Cingular Treo 650, 1.51 firmware, 1.17 CNG software
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiellv
    My 650 wasn't giving me any problems either but I decided to do the software upgrade to version 1.17 anyway. The volume is definitely better but I still use VolumeCare because of machine noise coming from another room at my work plus some gabby people who work at the desks near mine.
    VersaMail is updated with 1.17 also. I don't use VersaMail so that didn't matter to me.
    Some people have reported running into problems while doing the update but finally succeed at about the third or fourth try. That was my case also.
    If I were to do it over again I would do a HotSync to back up my 650 then do a hard reset. I had problems because of some of my third-party apps but when I finally deleted most of my apps the upgrade went just fine.
    I could do the backup before upgrading, but if I do run into problems, is there a way to roll back the firmware from 1.17 to 1.15? I'm not sure if that's possible. I can tell that the sound from my phone is a little weak and sounds much better when I attach the wired earpiece that came with it. I don't wanna spend money on apps yet, but if I don't have any other option that I can be satisfied with, I'll consider purchasing some enhancement apps.

Thanks for the response tiellv.
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
    I like 1.17 the best.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    The only problem I've had with the upgraded firmware is with the IR port. The Palm Universal Wireless Keyboard doesn't work very well with the Treo after the upgrade and also NoviiRemote has totally stopped working. I can still beam files and sync via the IR port, so I know it's not broken....but whatever the update did, it messed up those two things. Other than that the upgrade has been awesome! The phone pretty much just doesn't crash for me anymore. Also I removed VolumeCare as the volume is much, much better after this upgrade.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Yeah I backed up everything and decided to upgrade the firmware. The sound is way way better and plus when dialing the phone via touchscreen, it responds faster. There used to be a delay of some sort when I dial and putting in extra numbers after (like dialing an extension number, access codes, etc). I pretty much got everything back to the way it was including setting up my Versamail to fetch mail. Thanks for feedback.
    i too am on the fence. i am scared to upgrade as the phone works well for me as is. i would like better handset volume and quicker bluetooth connect but dont want the resets. i had a bad unit that reset all the time and since my exchange i have had little reset issues. ??
    Quote Originally Posted by 500mL

Also, I was wondering if anyone had tried calling Cingular to get their Treos unlocked. The guy that sold me the phone said that 90% of the time, Cingular will refuse or tell the customers that they can't do it. I don't want to spend more money unlocking it although it would be a big use if I go overseas with it.
    I have gotten cingular to provide the IMEI unlock code. My understanding is that if your account is more than 3 months old and in good standing and you present a reasonable request, they will do it. I called one night and told them I wanted to use the phone in Europe for a trip and I did not want to use roaming minutes because they are really expensive. With an unlocked phone, I can by a new SIM chip with pre-pay minutes already set up and use a Europe-local number. They asked me for the phones IMEI number and after a few minutes, they gave me a 9 digit code that is keyed only to my phone.

The next day, I found the instructuions for unlocking the phone by searching the GSM discussions. The Cingular people were not willing to discuss what do do with the code once they gave it to me. The particular person I was talking with acted as if they did not know what a treo was!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    ghiscott -

I called Cingular yesterday and like you said, the account has to be 3 months old and good standing. The lady I spoke to said the same thing and I mentioned to her that the reason I switched to Cingular is because it's GSM network and that is the only network that would run if I go overseas using their prepaid SIM. All she said that it's company policy and that I have time within 30 days to exercise my option (meaning if I want to keep or cancel their service).
    Quote Originally Posted by 500mL
    I just realized that my Treo is still running on 1.15 firmware. I got everything installed and setup my programs with not much of problems. Should I do the upgrade even though my Treo's not giving me problems? Please voice me your opinions. I'm running a locked Treo 650 under Cingular.

My attitude is that if some thing 'ant't broke, don't fix it. That being said, I upgraded to 51/1.17 and I think it's a Godesend. I was getting resets three or four times per day, and I would have to re-pair my sony Bluetooth HBH-300 headset every time I had a reset. After the upgrade, I haven't had a freeze up or reset and I upgraded the first day it was out. However, if my Treo was working this well before the upgrade, I wouldn't have done it. If you have no complaints and you are happy with your phone, I wouldn't risk putting something on the phone that might confilct with something you have now, and cause problems. My .02, take it for what it's worth.
    I posted this in another thread also but, all I did was tell them that I was travelling to remote parts of Asia where there was no Cingular service, only local carriers--which is true in my case.

Some of the reps understand that the $2.99/minute rate or whatever it is makes Cingular money so they don't want you to get a local sim card. But, if you tell them that you would use the Cingular sim card if it worked in the area you would be traveling, they may be more apt to do it.

BTW, in case they don't tell you, you enter *#*# unlock-code # (dial) to unlock the phone...
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lachargers
    I posted this in another thread also but, all I did was tell them that I was travelling to remote parts of Asia where there was no Cingular service, only local carriers--which is true in my case.

Some of the reps understand that the $2.99/minute rate or whatever it is makes Cingular money so they don't want you to get a local sim card. But, if you tell them that you would use the Cingular sim card if it worked in the area you would be traveling, they may be more apt to do it.

BTW, in case they don't tell you, you enter *#*# unlock-code # (dial) to unlock the phone...
    I'll just wait a couple of days and probably do that again. And I noticed the code you mentioned (*#*# unlock-code # [dial]) and I've seen it over the threads when I searched. But the problem is I don't have the unlock code. Some people had problems with it and they ended up "locking" the phone instead of "unlocking" it. If I'm gonna unlock the phone, I want to make sure I want to do it once but do it right. And it was also mentioned in the threads that the unlock code is individually designed to unlock each phone, depending on your IMEI.
    I got no static in unlocking after four months. They said it would take five days to get the code (via email), but it showed up about 3 hours later. Then the phone broke and I got a replacement, so had to call again and got the same response and same result. And putting in a foreign chip worked like a champion; could not have been easier.
    Mike Caldwell
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    The only problem I've had with the upgraded firmware is with the IR port. The Palm Universal Wireless Keyboard doesn't work very well with the Treo after the upgrade and also NoviiRemote has totally stopped working. I can still beam files and sync via the IR port, so I know it's not broken....but whatever the update did, it messed up those two things. Other than that the upgrade has been awesome! The phone pretty much just doesn't crash for me anymore. Also I removed VolumeCare as the volume is much, much better after this upgrade.
    I am pretty sick of this problem. Since the upgrade my keyboard is pretty much useless. Little things like this really **** me off about Palm sometimes. I have really tried to be patient but it has been a month since this update was released and there is no indication that they have any intention of releasing a fix for this, be it a new driver or whatever. Anybody got a customer support e-mail address for Palm?
    Regards, RoninKSB