Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My wife bought me TomTom Navigator 5 for my 650 with the TomTom Bluetooth Wireless GPK MkII. I have to say I am very disappointed and I'm looking at returning it. Here's why. Has anyone else had these problems?

1. The install process was painful and took several retries. As a software developer, it seemed like it had been poorly designed and tested.

2. There are continual problems with Navigator claiming there is 'No GPS device', and yet it appears to be connected via Bluetooth. I have to reset the Treo and GPS several times just to get a connection. It's completely unpredictable in this respect. I am not using any other Bluetooth devices except syncing with my PC now and then.

3. When I do finally get Navigator to see the GPS unit, it can take minutes for it to get a GPS signal. The GPS status screen shows 5-10 satellites are in view but they will be greyed out and it says 'No valid GPS signal'. Sometimes I've driven for 5-10 minutes on an open road with nothing blocking line of sight before it decides the GPS signal is OK. I've used GPS before and this is even worse than the first generation GPS I used years ago.

4. The Navigator app locks up the Treo at random. Usually it happens if I make a wrong turn and it has to recalculate, which is the worst possible timing.

5. Firing up Navigator automatically turns on the phone for some unexplained reason.

6. None of the TomTom Traffic or Extra download functions work. They all report 'Could not connect to service'. Of course, all my other Internet apps work fine.

I am running the latest Navigator 5.12 release from TomTom.com. I hoped upgrading to the new Cingular 1.17 software would help reliability but it doesn't seem to have made any difference at all. I'm not running much else on my Treo at all. I have Goodlink but starting that is a surefire way to cause problems with Navigator.

I don't need this type of unreliability in a handheld GPS. It's a recipe for crashing my damn car! My wife refuses to let me even use it because it has been so unreliable.

Finally TomTom's support takes 2-3 weeks to answer each request I have submitted via their website, which is totally pathetic. Their support site has so many different products and options, it's a mess. I didn't realize they are based in Europe. The last email they sent me was to call their US office to get my Bluetooth GPS replaced, but frankly I'm just going to send the whole damn thing back for a refund.

It seemed like such a promising app. I can't be the only person having these problems?
    Last edited by curlinmerlin; 12/10/2005 at 07:35 PM.
    You should take a few minutes to search for and read the previous Tomtom posts. You'll find that most of these issues are discussed, often in several posts. I have experienced most of your points to some degree but none of them really make the Tomtom unusable and it still seems to be much better than the other GPS software options for Palm. These are some brief responses based on my experience.
    1. Yes. But I got through it and it works fine now.
    2. Start the receiver first and wait for it to acquire a fix. Then start Navigator.
    3. It is longer if it has not been used recently. It is very quick to restart.
    4. I haven't had a lock up problem. Occassional it forces a soft reset.
    5. I usually keep my phone on so I don't notice this.
    6. I have used traffic successfully. Occassionally I cannot connect.
    Tomtom support is their weakest feature, but they do ultimately respond. That's better than my experience with Palm or Sprint....
    Last edited by jrfaris; 12/10/2005 at 08:56 PM.
    re: # 3 - I was driving at about 70mph for a good 10-15 minutes with wide open sky and couldn't pick up satellites. As soon as we hit a traffic jam and slowed to 30-40mph - bang - picked them up immediately and never lost them. Not conclusive, but now when i need to fire things up I try and give my GPS unit a few minutes of non-moving or slow-moving time.
    Isn't that the older chipset ....................
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    re: # 3 - I was driving at about 70mph for a good 10-15 minutes with wide open sky and couldn't pick up satellites. As soon as we hit a traffic jam and slowed to 30-40mph - bang - picked them up immediately and never lost them. Not conclusive, but now when i need to fire things up I try and give my GPS unit a few minutes of non-moving or slow-moving time.
    Likewise, if it takes you 5-10 minutes to get a GPS lock, that's not a function of TomTom. That's your GPS receiver.

As jrfaris said, it does take longer on a 'cold' restart, but that is still a long time.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the replies. I'll give the suggestions a try.

I guess I'm willing to overlook minor issues but the whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk
    Likewise, if it takes you 5-10 minutes to get a GPS lock, that's not a function of TomTom. That's your GPS receiver.
    But my GPS receiver is made and sold by TomTom, so from the customer perspective I consider it part of the whole TomTom package.

I'd be interested if there are other GPS receivers that work better. I got TomTom so I didn't have to rely on Hertz Neverlost but frankly I'd probably be better off with Neverlost at this point. Not sure if I would risk going on a business trip with TomTom at this point.
    some people have reported that you get much better customer support if you call their U.S. support line - (978) 287-9555

Hopefully you can get the quirks worked out, since it really is a nice app if everything is working right (I didnt have nearly the issues you did...the install is a little painful, but other than that, really no problems)
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Isn't that the older chipset ....................

nope, its got Sirf III and should perform like its sirfIII counterparts (BT-338 etc..)
    Quote Originally Posted by curlinmerlin
    But my GPS receiver is made and sold by TomTom, so from the customer perspective I consider it part of the whole TomTom package.

I'd be interested if there are other GPS receivers that work better. I got TomTom so I didn't have to rely on Hertz Neverlost but frankly I'd probably be better off with Neverlost at this point. Not sure if I would risk going on a business trip with TomTom at this point.
    I have the Tomtom Mk II receiver as well. I have tried to start it while in motion a couple of times. As ericdfairchild says, it doesn't start up well if it's location keeps changing while it's trying to lock on. I believe this is true of most GPS receivers. If you are stationary, it should take about 1-2 minutes for a cold start. However, once it has a known time & position, it should restart in a few seconds. Also, this receiver is very good at holding the satelites even it can't see them. I routinely carry it in my pocket or put it in the tray under my dash. I believe all Sirf III receivers are pretty similar but some do have longer battery life.
    I will attest to what everyone else says about remaining in one place while the receiver tries to get a lock on the satellites. Never takes more than a minute, two at the most, for the tomtom receiver to start flashing (indicating a lock) if I'm just sitting in the parking lot. Once it locks, it has always stayed that way unless I get stuck in a tunnel or something.

As for your other issues, I've had only had my treo lock up on me one time (and for the thousands of miles that I've driven with it, thats not so bad). Also, I seem to get the "could not connect" message more often if I've just turned the phone on and haven't accessed the internet with it yet. So if I just finished d/ling some email or browsing my favorite web site, it doesn't have a problem getting traffic info. However, the reliability of the TomTom Plus functions don't work all too well for me - most of the time when it indicates heavy traffic or an accident in my location, I don't see the accident on the road, perhaps indicating that their servers are really slow in updating.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    I have the Tomtom Mk II receiver as well. I have tried to start it while in motion a couple of times. As ericdfairchild says, it doesn't start up well if it's location keeps changing while it's trying to lock on. I believe this is true of most GPS receivers. If you are stationary, it should take about 1-2 minutes for a cold start. However, once it has a known time & position, it should restart in a few seconds. Also, this receiver is very good at holding the satelites even it can't see them. I routinely carry it in my pocket or put it in the tray under my dash. I believe all Sirf III receivers are pretty similar but some do have longer battery life.
    This is interesting...I just purchased the EMTAC bluetooth receiver which comes with Digi-map software. I noticed that sometimes it takes a while for the unit to lock in and other times it took no time at all. I didn't know that trying to lock on while in motion(i.e.,in a car) would cause a delay.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    I have the same package and have not experienced most of these issues. My install actually worked right the first time. As long as I turn on the GPS first, before starting the software I usually get a lock in less than 20 seconds EVERY TIME.

I have never had a reset while running the software and am succesfully receiving calls while navigating, then returning immediatly to the app.

I have owned GPS receivers for over 5 years (mostly Garmins) all the Street Pilots (original thru 2620), and several handheld units like the 60CS. I also currently have a Lexus w/ built-in Nav. I am very impressed w/ the TT unit and it compares favorably w/ the far more expensive Garmins....as a matter of fact it is FAR easier to use than the $1500 unit built into my Lexus. Several times I have pulled out the Treo and TT when the Lexus Nav failed to find an address.

I will admit the installer is a POS (see my other posts regarding issues), but considering the price I am VERY pleased.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdied
    I didn't know that trying to lock on while in motion(i.e.,in a car) would cause a delay.
    Every one of my GPS units take longer to lock when in motion than when standing still.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    FYI...the time differences you see usually relate to whether your GPS is doing a Cold, Warm or Hot Startup...Alot of that depends on how long the unit has been powered off (or how much the satellites have moved since it was last on)

If you want to learn a little about the difference read
    http://www.hacking-gps.com/gps-notes..._the_diffe.php

or

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/gps/basics.asp

and yes..they do best if you are stationary while it is starting up and acquiring satellites...I made the mistake on my last flight to the east coast of not turning it on until the plane was going 500mph ...the battery almost ran out before it locked up...but it was neat watching the map on my laptop as we passed over lakes, towns, roads etc...

ps...that's one of the reasons I like the Seidio cradle with built in GPS...it turns on when you start the car so I dont have to remember to power up the unit before I need it (several times with my BT receiver I forgot and it took a long time to lock up at freeway speed)
  15.    #15  
    I will try the tip about starting the GPS while stationary. My problem is I almost always start in a basement or garage where there is no signal anyway. I wonder if that is why I've had such a problem?

I wouldn't advise playing with a GPS on the plane. It's one of those 'prohibited items' they warn you about.
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    FYI...the time differences you see usually relate to whether your GPS is doing a Cold, Warm or Hot Startup...Alot of that depends on how long the unit has been powered off (or how much the satellites have moved since it was last on)

If you want to learn a little about the difference read
    http://www.hacking-gps.com/gps-notes..._the_diffe.php
    or
    http://www.tycoelectronics.com/gps/basics.asp
    I didn't know this. Good stuff!
  17.    #17  
    Well, the damn thing locked up on me twice today. Once on the way to work and once on the way home. Leaving the route is a sure fire way to crash TomTom. My commute is less than 15 minutes either way.

I'm sure it's because Goodlink was running. Is there any way to force Goodlink to quit short of a soft reset?
    curlinmerlin>I've been using the TomTom software on my T650 for about 2 months now or so and have had 0 lockups or resets. How much free ram do you have? How clean is your unit; no not that kind of clean; i.e. what kind of a score do you get using Palm Internals? It could be that you have programs competing for CPU cycles or even the same procedures.

As far as your other problems, I think the software not finding the BT GPS is more a palm issue since I had the same problem using Mapopolis and my BT GPS. It found it but wouldn't connect to it for some reason. In both cases my solution has been to check the box adding it to the trusted items and entering the 0000 code and doing it again and again and eventually (after 3-5 times) it see's it. After that it seems to have no trouble aquiring it for some time and them one day has trouble again. Regarding the GPS signal, as others have pointed out moving increases this aquisition time. I've got a fortuna clip-on bluetooth reciever and completely cold starts take 30-40 seconds and warm take about 15 and hot starts about 2-3. All these are not moving, while moving it can be 60-300 seconds; 30-180 and 30-60 respectivly. Each GPS is a little different. My old iQue3600 took 3X as long to aquire as my Fortuna.

I think your last line of your last post sum it up, something is conflicting with TomTom and goodlink has surely shown to be a problem in the past with many programs.

Good luck!
    TS
    Goodlink is a memory hog....no doubt this is the problem
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Quote Originally Posted by curlinmerlin
    Well, the damn thing locked up on me twice today. Once on the way to work and once on the way home. Leaving the route is a sure fire way to crash TomTom. My commute is less than 15 minutes either way.

I'm sure it's because Goodlink was running. Is there any way to force Goodlink to quit short of a soft reset?

Unfortunately there is no way to turn off goodlink nor limit the amount of Dbcache its taking (that's why I have mreset programmed to a hard key

Although I have both GL and TT & I never have crashes with TT while its running (even if GL is running in the background)...The only problem I have is sometimes I can't launch TT (ARM error) because I've had too many other programs running (such as P-Tunes) and their is not a big enough chunk of Cache available (TT needs 2Mb of continous Cache to launch)...GL is by far the biggest eater of Cache. You might load the DbCache tool if you dont have it already, it does help keep cache open for me (also make sure Blazer is set to clear cache on exit)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast