Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curlinmerlin View Post
    I wouldn't advise playing with a GPS on the plane. It's one of those 'prohibited items' they warn you about.
    Says who? There are plenty of avionics companies that sell bluetooth gps'es for pilots to use.

Bluetooth has been shown to NOT cause interference with flight instruments.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Based on the TomTom web site TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 will be available in North America in early October. It will be available as a stand alone software product or bundled together with a PDA or smartphone through retailers. TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 will cost: $149 TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 software and maps on DVD

And I can get the Holux GR 236 for $80 on ebay. So the total would be $230 which is a $69 savings over the Palm unit.

This looks like a nice combination that should be available next month.
    Hi sweider, have you had one of these Holux GR 236 units before? Is it a good receiver?

I'd like to buy one but need to know if it is a good one or not.
    Based on the TomTom web site TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 will be available in North America in early October. It will be available as a stand alone software product or bundled together with a PDA or smartphone through retailers. TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 will cost: $149 – TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 software and maps on DVD

And I can get the Holux GR 236 for $80 on ebay. So the total would be $230 which is a $69 savings over the Palm unit.

This looks like a nice combination that should be available next month.
    I hope that you are right but I have just been on the site and cannot find anything that says anything about TomTom 6 except that it is not available from TomTom at this time. Nothing about software only, $149-, or October. Can you provide a url?

I would rather have TomTom 6 at $149- than a 700p/unlocked GSM.
    It was not easy to find the link. Luckily it was in my Browser's history. There once was a link on TomTom the home page under news. Any way here it is:
    http://www.tomtom.com/news/category....287&Language=4

I have not used Holux GR 236, but it is supposed to be the same hardware as the one in the new Palm bundle.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    It was not easy to find the link. Luckily it was in my Browser's history. There once was a link on TomTom the home page under news. Any way here it is:
    http://www.tomtom.com/news/category....287&Language=4

I have not used Holux GR 236, but it is supposed to be the same hardware as the one in the new Palm bundle.
    Thank you! You are my hero.

I have a Holux GR 236 and really like it. It does list for $150- but sells on ebay for about half that.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Says who? There are plenty of avionics companies that sell bluetooth gps'es for pilots to use.
    GPS use is prohibited on a number of US airlines according to

http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

I know for a fact this is correct on Alaska as I've heard the warning dozens of times. Your mileage may vary. Seeing as people are getting arrested for talking in a foreign language on planes these days, I'd be reluctant to even try.
  7.    #47  
    Anyone figured out how to upgrade to Navigator 6 yet??! The TomTom website is freaking useless and has no obvious search function.

I'm prepared to give TomTom another try now I no longer have to run Goodlink.
    How do the Palm-based units compare to dedicated ones such as Magellan, or for that matter to the ones that are options when you buy a car? They're more expensive, but then they include the computer they're running on; we have that already.
    Quote Originally Posted by derivativemusic View Post
    How do the Palm-based units compare to dedicated ones such as Magellan, or for that matter to the ones that are options when you buy a car? They're more expensive, but then they include the computer they're running on; we have that already.
    Functionally, when running, they compare very well. I prefer both Mapopolis and TomTom to (Magellan) NeverLost.

Adding GPS to one's Treo is a great value add. Treo/GPS is competitve in price and functionally superior to a stand-alone GPS.

However, that is the rub. Because the Treo is not dedicated to the GPS application, one has to manage it. One must also manage maps and memory. With this, I prefer having the application on the Treo to having to carry one more unit.
    Thanks whmurray.
    I have no complaints about my "TomTom Navigator" (Sorry can't figure out what version I have) on my Treo700p. I have taken it from my Treo650 to my Treo700p. This is my first and only navigation solution. NO COMPLAINTS!

I'm now using my TomTom bluetooth GPS receiver with my ThinkPad X40 and Roadnav. Pairs perfectly. Haven't used it much, but look forward to road testing it.
    c a r l n u n e s
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > iPhone( ) > Treo 755p
    WATCH THIS BEFORE POSTING
    Anyone figured out how to upgrade to Navigator 6 yet??! .................
    No. TomTim still does not offer Navigator 6 in the US.

However, their website now has four packages for Navigator 6 that has "Coming Soon" where the price should be. (One does not know what the TomTom "soon" looks like. If it is anything like the Palm "soon," we can order sometime in 2007. Some of you may recall the rumor that the product would be available in October 2006. Happy Halloween.)

The choices are Maps on SD or DVD, with or without a GPS.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=2&Lid=4 One hopes, that when the product becomes available, it will do so on this page.

One assumes that the cheapest will be maps only on DVD, while the easiest to use will be maps on SD with GPS.

Wish I had better news.
  13.    #53  
    Navigator 6 is now offered on the TomTom website but still no clues on how to upgrade. Am I expected to pay for this solution all over again? They never fixed the bugs in 5.x as far as I am concerned.

Navigator 5 is still completely unreliable and I've reloaded my Treo several times. I'm no longer using Goodlink and the only third party app on my Treo is ChatterMail. Frankly I'm getting more use out of the new Google Maps for Treo than TomTom, and it also has traffic. TomTom Traffic never worked for me either. On trips out of town, I've had to resort to Hertz Neverlost (which is the reason I got TomTom in the first place).

The TomTom reliability is so bad that my wife refuses to let me use it while driving because she worries I'll crash the car while trying to mess with it!
    I got so frustrated with TomTom and their lack of customer service, that I happily switched over to mapopolis. I'm really glad I did. By the way, I use a holux 236, and it works great.

Pilottreo1
    Quote Originally Posted by pilottreo1 View Post
    I got so frustrated with TomTom and their lack of customer service, that I happily switched over to mapopolis. I'm really glad I did. By the way, I use a holux 236, and it works great.

Pilottreo1
    Well, if customer service is your criteriia, Mapopolis is the clear winner. They are great.
    Navigator 6 is now offered on the TomTom website but still no clues on how to upgrade....:
    Well it is offered if you are willing to pay for the hardware again. The software only offering is now on the list at $149- but they are not taking orders for it.

Talk about Silly season. Perry, where are you?
    I can't say enough about this GPS. It locks instantly most of the time. I leave the thing in my sun roof all summer and winter and it works flawlessly with every BT device I pair it with.

(I cannot speak for that vendor, though. I'd be wary of purchasing from them at that price. It usually goes for about $85)
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    this is THE best app i ever used on my treo...the only thing i hate is no bt multiple connections so using ttn6 is kinda pain in *** if phone call comes in..
  19.    #59  
    TomTom had the nerve to email me today, asking me to pony up cash for their new maps...but they still don't offer a Navigator 6 upgrade on their website!
    TomTom had the nerve to email me today, asking me to pony up cash for their new maps...but they still don't offer a Navigator 6 upgrade on their website!
    They do. However, they call it "new maps." When you order the new maps you get an upgrade to Navigator 6.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast