Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I've never had a lockup....yet. And I often disregard TomTom's direction suggestions. Going out of my neighborhood, for example, I always go one specific way. TomTom says to go another way, which I never do. It always recalculates, almost instantly. I continue to be amazed by the little thing.

BTW, I use the iTrek bluetooth GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by curlinmerlin
    I'd be interested if there are other GPS receivers that work better. I got TomTom so I didn't have to rely on Hertz Neverlost but frankly I'd probably be better off with Neverlost at this point. Not sure if I would risk going on a business trip with TomTom at this point.
    i used the globalsat bt-338 gps and its worked perfectly from day 1. quick to get a signal lock from cold start. and holds signal pretty well unless i am travelling underneath a freeway or tunnel. but then when it finds signal again, its quick to lock in again and tomtom picks up where it left off.

do no run goodlink at the same time. when i did that, the voice prompt would tell me "turn right" when it usually would say "turn right, in 200 yards"
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    ps...that's one of the reasons I like the Seidio cradle with built in GPS...it turns on when you start the car so I dont have to remember to power up the unit before I need it (several times with my BT receiver I forgot and it took a long time to lock up at freeway speed)
    what software did you use on your laptop for the air view?
    Quote Originally Posted by curlinmerlin
    I'm sure it's because Goodlink was running. Is there any way to force Goodlink to quit short of a soft reset?
    it would be best not to run goodlink and tomtom at the same time. thats pretty much been discussed everywhere. there is no way to quit goodlink except to softreset. it sucks and its also been brought up to goodlink.
    Quote Originally Posted by islandsnow
    what software did you use on your laptop for the air view?
    I was running MS Streets & Trips ...worked really nice since it can just plot GPS position on the map and it followed along (and also gave speed
    I've used 5.12, and i have downgraded to 5.00 (to avoid the unit from powering off).. and I have yet to experience any lockups. I'm currently using a Holux GPS Slim 236 device. I *think* when I was running 5.12.. when the unit auto-powered off.. and I had to turn my 650 back on, under those circumstances I think my Tomtom had difficulty in reconnecting with the GPS unit. I would have to exit and restart Tomtom for it to work correctly. Otherwise, I generally do not experience any problems finding the unit.

Regarding lockups -- when you take a wrong turn, what Tomtom does is attempt to recalculate your route. This Im guessing may be a memory/cpu intensive task. Do you have plenty of free memory on your device?

That aside, I couldn't be any happier w/ my 650+Tomtom+BT GPS
    I purchased my TT via PalmOne so I'm using the P1 BT and the TT software and the manual sux. Like everyone else install instructions are horrible! The directions for attatching the device cradle are more detailed (w/ snapshots and all) than the software install. LOL.

Support, what support? 2 weeks later is NOT support, it's more like "see ya when see ya"...

After much patience w/ the device and software and acceptance of taking the good w/ the REALLY ugly, it proves to be a worthy investment. It beats the heck out of paying $1800 for the OEM headunit in my car.
  8. myn
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I find the TomTom maps (Ohio v566) are very very out of date. I live in Columbus, OH and I am finding that it is missing major roads that were constructed 5 or more years previous.

I am wondering maybe v566 is not the latest version of Map for Ohio?

On another note, I tried the demo version of Mapopolis and although the interface isn't as clean as TomTom the maps are so much better and even give you detail on private roads. Also a better warning system when to turn and what road to turn on to.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myn
    I find the TomTom maps (Ohio v566) are very very out of date. I live in Columbus, OH and I am finding that it is missing major roads that were constructed 5 or more years previous.

On another note, I tried the demo version of Mapopolis and although the interface isn't as clean as TomTom the maps are so much better and even give you detail on private roads. Also a better warning system when to turn and what road to turn on to.
    I have noticed the same thing with TomTom. I live in the Columbus OH area also. iGuidance 1.1 that I bought in 2003 has more current maps, but they use Navteq instead of Teleatlas.
    Quote Originally Posted by myn

Why not give TomTom some feedback?
    Hey Curlinmerlin , sorry to hear about your problems. I've been using
    TOMTOM 5 with the Globalsat BT-338 receiver for the last several months. I used to have the problem with initially acquiring satellites. I have gotten into the routine of first getting in my car and placing the receiver on my dashboard. I turn it on an let it acquire sats. I then place my Treo in the cradle. By the time I navigate to TOMTOM and press "I Agree", I have sats already acquired. Fortunately, I never experienced any other problems. My girlfriend has in-dash gps in her car and I prefer mine. We came back from a trip to Philly yesterday and at one point, her gps said "You have reached your destination" (King of Prussia Mall). The only problem was, we were on the highway. Much to her dismay , she asked if I would just turn mine on for a few minutes Not to mention, we have to be COMPLETELY stopped in her car before we are able to change destinations or search for other destinations!! The only thing that would make the TOMTOM perfect, would be if it named the roads, freeways,exit numbers like the full GPS systems do(Including my gf's). Otherwise, as a tech, this is the coolest and most useful item i've ever purchased. I have gotten more people and co-workers to purchase the Treo simply by turning on my gps.
  12.    #32  
    After six months of TomTom gathering dust, I thought I would give it another go. They appear to have an updated release 5.21 on their website which hopefully addresses some of my issues.

Is anyone else running TT 5.2 with GoodLink 4.81 successfully? I really can't afford to be without GoodLink.
    I have GL 4.81.14_EN and TT 5.201 (5344).

If I leave GL Running in the background than TT will eventually freeze up if I'm using it (and then I need to reboot)..so when I'm using TT in the car, I always do a quick softreset (w/mreset shortcut) to close down GL and then launch navigator (I sure wish GL had a way to turn it off). When I'm done I just fire up GL and use it again

Kind of a pain, but oh well..it works
    I have Goodlink and frequently listen to MP3 while in my car. I am eyeing the new Palm GPS system, but its a bit pricey for me at $299. I have seen some good comments about other GPS recievers like the Globalsat BT-338.

How long do you think it will be before the TomTom Nav 6 software comes out as a standalone package?

I use Hertz Neverlost all the time when I travel for business. Does anyone know if that software is available for Palm?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I suspect it will be a few weeks or months before TT releases v6 to the general public (right now its exclusive to the Palm bundle).

Siedio and Semsons are good places to get bundles (I have TT5 with the BT338 and also a seidio gps cradle (4850)...both good solutions)

and no, neverlost is not available for the palm
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    How long do you think it will be before the TomTom Nav 6 software comes out as a standalone package?
    Tomtom says it will be available this month:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=123084
    It's likely to take a bit longer to reach the discount outlets. Also, there will likely be an additional wait for those wanting to update from Nav 5.
    I can wait a few weeks if that might help drop the price for the Nav 6 + hardware bundle to $200.

I already have a 4GB memory card where I would store the 1GB of maps.
    $200 might be a bit optomistic for a complete hardware package in the near future. It took several months for Nav 5 to get down into that range. We are still unclear on a lot of the Nav 6 details. Apparently, the install from the SD works so well, that folks aren't having problems so we don't get much feedback from new buyers/users. Guess all in all that's a good sign...
    Based on the TomTom web site TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 will be available in North America in early October. It will be available as a stand alone software product or bundled together with a PDA or smartphone through retailers. TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 will cost: $149 – TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 software and maps on DVD

And I can get the Holux GR 236 for $80 on ebay. So the total would be $230 which is a $69 savings over the Palm unit.

This looks like a nice combination that should be available next month.
    Quote Originally Posted by curlinmerlin View Post
    My wife bought me TomTom Navigator 5 for my 650 with the TomTom Bluetooth Wireless GPK MkII. I have to say I am very disappointed and I'm looking at returning it. Here's why. Has anyone else had these problems?..............
    There are too many variables to blame Tomtom. I have been using it for a year with two different Treos and three different GPS devices and am very satisfied.

I agree with the suggestion that you should start the GPS first and let it acquire before starting TomTom. (Mine is always active, whether TT is running or not.) If TT reports that the GPS does have a signal when it clearly does, closing TT and restarting it often resolves it.

I often disagree with TT on routes but I have that problem with all the online services too. Prefer Mapopolis routing but it takes a lot longer to find a route.

I agree on the installation and registration process but I got over it. I agree that customer service is terrible. I miss CS at Mapopolis but prefer the TT software; it is faster, more stable, and easier to use.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast