1.    #1  
    I don't need a GPS system - but would just like to use TomTom 5 for its maps. Frequently, I know roughly where I'm going - and don't want the hassle of a GPS system - but would like to look over a local map. Since Google, Yahoo and Mapquest maps over Blazer are really unusable, how would installing TomTom 5 software ONLY work on a Treo for this purpose?
    It would work fine. There is an advanced planning mode on TomTom that you can use without GPS. You can also point to a location on a map and see the nearby points of interest without a map.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I use Tom Tom all the time, but I don't like using it to navigate the map without the bluetooth, I just don't like the format.

I started using Kmaps, although I have not used it that much, I prefer the Kmaps app for this, and of course you can't beat the price.
    The 'Browse Maps' feature is pretty useful for this purpose.

The only thing I don't like about the Browse Maps mode is the crappy scroll-bar-like feature for zooming in-and-out. I can never quite get the zoom level right where I want it.

I wish they would just give us a button to click to zoom in or out incrementally.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
  5.    #5  
    So if I don't even purchase a GPS, am I going to get an error ("Can't find GPS") every few minutes? Or will it behave like a normal program, and just let me cruise around maps.

I'm mainly interested in just bringing up a map of whatever local area I'm in, to find side streets, POI, etc.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    It will usually nag you and ask if you want to turn on blue tooth. I agree with Chickenhawk, and that is why I prefer Kmaps. If you haven't try it, you'll like it. It will meet your needs with what you want to use it for.
    Quote Originally Posted by benzlet
    So if I don't even purchase a GPS, am I going to get an error ("Can't find GPS") every few minutes? Or will it behave like a normal program, and just let me cruise around maps.
    Actually, I don't get a GPS reminder at all when I'm browsing the map. I generally leave bluetooth turned on and Navigator just says "No GPS device" on the navigation screen. When I go to browse map, there is no indication regarding GPS. Of course, you can't use GPS position to center your map.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 12/11/2005 at 12:18 AM.