Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    So, I'm wanting to get a 650, probably with vzw, for Xmas, but last time I bought a PDA it was the palm tungsten t, about 3 mos before they came out with the t2, and about 6 mos before the t3. So I'm a little gunshy about buying something that's going to be replaced by a better version in a few months. So a couple of questions:

    1. Any ideas on how long the 700p might take? Any rumors that it would be out before Q2? Then, any rumors about who will carry it?
    2. The most important ? for me is data connection speed. I know that EVDO is broadband fast, but how fast are the existing networks? Is VZW's standard network slower than, say, cingular's EDGE network? And how do those compare to EVDO?

    Basically what I'm getting at is that I'm sure EVDO or other 3G capability would be very nice, but I'm not going to wait 6-8 mos for it if the current networks are acceptably fast. I have a sony t610 on tmobile currently, and I would call that data connection unacceptable. Just to check movie times or weather takes a good five minutes. Are we talking about the same connection with the current generation of treos?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by drtadwinslow
    ...I have a sony t610 on tmobile currently, and I would call that data connection unacceptable. Just to check movie times or weather takes a good five minutes. Are we talking about the same connection with the current generation of treos?
    If you use an EDGE capable device (like the Treo 650) on T-Mobile's network, you'll see EDGE speed. The T610 can only use GPRS.
    V > Vx > m505 > m515 > T/T > T3 > TC > 650 > 680
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://download.skype.com/share/skypebuttons/js/skypeCheck.js"></script>
    <a href="skype:wwgamble?call"><img src="http://mystatus.skype.com/balloon/wwgamble" style="border: none;" width="150" height="60" alt="My Skype status" /></a>
  3. holmes4's Avatar
    Posts
    982 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #3  
    What makes you think there will be a 700p?
  4. #4  
    I have a 650 om Tmobile. my speeds are between 80kbps-120kbps
  5. #5  
    The 700p should be out in Q1 and it WILL have EV-DO and possibly WiFi.
  6. #6  
    I wonder if it has built in GPS ...........
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by drtadwinslow
    So I'm a little gunshy about buying something that's going to be replaced by a better version in a few months.
    LOL. Whenver you buy a tech gadget, it will always, always be replaced buy a better version a few months later. If you wait for the 700p, you'll be disappointed you didn't wait for the 800p with its 640x480 screen, built-in GPS and 20G hard drive.
  8. #8  
    To add to the Tech Gadget, new devices almost always have bugs to work out. Where the 650 has been out for a while there are fixes or tricks. My phone is more more stable.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    To add to the Tech Gadget, new devices almost always have bugs to work out. Where the 650 has been out for a while there are fixes or tricks. My phone is more more stable.

    My take on things EXACTLY............
  10. #10  
    A great big AOL "me too" on that one. I already waited close to a year before buying my Treo 650--as I watched most of the bugs ironed out, or worked around. I bought it even after hearing about the new WM and POS Treos.

    I wasn't about to wait yet another year!
  11. holmes4's Avatar
    Posts
    982 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    The 700p should be out in Q1 and it WILL have EV-DO and possibly WiFi.
    You aren't perhaps thinking of the 700w? I haven't seen anything about a 700p.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    You aren't perhaps thinking of the 700w? I haven't seen anything about a 700p.
    Nope. The 700w is also supposed to come out around the same time and be exclusive to Verizon for the first few months. The 700p is supposed to launch on Sprint.
  13. mashi's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #13  
    well.. I am using my 650 with cingular for few months.. very stable.. running chattermail and verichat

Posting Permissions