Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have a Treo 650 (Verizon) that I've had for about a year or so. Initially it did not ship with the 1.04 ROM. My corporate email is pushed via Goodlink and that is the only third party software I run. Initially I ran the old ROM and Goodlink 4.0. I had some general memory management problems - Goodlink really consumed the RAM particularly if you viewed documents. Then I upgraded the ROM to 1.04 and reloaded Goodlink 4.0. It ran fine. Then the firm upgraded to 4.5 and I started to have random manual resets but it overall ran OK for several months. Then it started to reset more often. Then the "fatal error" messages started (same as posted here - mine was the "maxwell" variation rather than "kahlua"). I did a hard reset and reloaded 1.04. Then loaded Goodlink 4.5. No luck. I reprovisioned Goodlink several times. No luck. If anything, the messages became more frequent. I sent it to our tech support (I work for a Big 4 accounting/consulting firm which has a lot of national contracts with all the major carriers, and supports both Blackberry and Goodlink devices). They reprovisioned the software. No luck, but this was not the local mobile device expert and he admitted it would be best to wait for our local expert to return from vaction. Our local Treo guru got back from vacation today and after talking to him he said that the only fix they've had is a new device - they have yet to get a device with these messages working again. He did say that nationally the Treo 650 has only been stable when running Goodlink 4.7 or higher - they have consistently had problems of various sorts with 650s running 4.5.

So off to the Verizon number and to my surprise, once I talked to their Treo support line and told them the problem, after a short read of the problem codes and a diagnosis code they initiated a replacement via Fedex, no other questions asked. She said they'd been having this come up with regularity and consequently knew exactly what I was talking about and apparently have decided to take ownership of the problem. Given earlier reports of Palm, Good and Verizon passing the buck I was anticipating a protracted battle which thankfully did not materialize. So Palm and Verizon must have reached some sort of agreement on this. The somewhat discouraging bit of news was that I asked the tech support person at Verizon in her opinion which unit was the most stable and she said that they have by far the fewest issues with the Treo 650 than any others (700w and p, and Motorola Q included).

so now I await my new unit and my firm is apparently migrating to 4.8 - so I'll let everyone know how the new unit works. I will be sure to check the ROM version prior to loading Goodlink. Load a clean version of Goodlink 4.8 and update everyone in a week or so with the results.

This hasn't gotten much attention recently and I wanted anyone reading the posts to know that my experience at least getting a new unit was actually pleasant with Verizon, that they know the issue and are handling it pretty seamlessly. This was through the regular Verizon customer service, also, not through a major accounts line or representative.

I also thought it was helpful to throw out that this reaction from Verizon, and our firms experience with 650's from Sprint and Verizon both, seems to confirm that it is, in fact, a hardware issue and that Goodguy's assertions appear to be on target. I'll admit that answer didn't pass my smell test at all when I first read it, but apparently the hardware defect doesn't manifest itself with the phone and other native palm apps, but that Goodlink does apparently reveal it. I also found that our firm's experience that the 650 has only been stable on Goodlink 4.7 and higher was new information worth sharing.

I'll keep updating my progress and results.
    I just joined this forum after researching this problem and only having to replace about 15 of my companys 300 treo devices. I had problems with Verizon support at first but figured out how to get around it. If your device is within the 1yr warranty you will have no problem getting a replacement using the method i have started using.

Basically now that I have known what the problem is and know that it is not a GoodLink problem then I avoid even telling Verizon that a 3rd party software is installed. I just call Verizon Data Support and tell them that my device is receiving a fatal error message every couple of minutes or so. I also inform them that I have already upgraded to ROM ver 1.04 and that i have performed 3 hard resets and the problem still happens. Most Verizon techs after listening either send you another device or go confirm with the supervisor that its ok to replace so far. 14/15 devices i have had a problem with has gotten replaced from Verizon with no problems.

The 1 problem i did have with one device is that it was over the 1yr warranty period, in that case I called our Business Rep and he call and initiated the replacement. But i can not wait til this fix is released. Not testing out 4.8 on our Treo devices, the server was upgraded and I didnt even check to make sure everyones ROM was up to date. But as you will know you will find out eventually.
    I'm almost relieved to see others in the same boat. I'm about to run my car over the phone, as it's useless for e-mail, contact, etc. (i.e., anything relating to Goodlink). I, too, have upgraded to 1.04. Our IT person reloaded Goodlink, and all seemed well for an hour or two. By that night, however, I was back to receiving a fatal error EVERY time I access Goodlink.
    I have a Sprint Treo 650 that has been running Goodlink without incident for almost 18 months. Recently I started getting the GX_ASSERT problem. I tried hard reset, install NOTHING but GL, and it would still die after a few minutes of operation, eventually getting to the point where it would die during the "Initializing Goodlink" message. I just upgraded to Sprint 1.13, and so far so good... we'll see if this works as a long-term fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by heddhunter View Post
    I have a Sprint Treo 650 that has been running Goodlink without incident for almost 18 months. Recently I started getting the GX_ASSERT problem. I tried hard reset, install NOTHING but GL, and it would still die after a few minutes of operation, eventually getting to the point where it would die during the "Initializing Goodlink" message. I just upgraded to Sprint 1.13, and so far so good... we'll see if this works as a long-term fix.
    well it's been 4 days and the treo has been quite stable so i'm gonna say this is definitely the way to go!
    You need to update the BIOS. The latest for Verizon is 1.05A and can be downloaded here:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...reo650updater/
    then you will need to reprovision the Treo and install Good again
    I have had this before on previous versions of the Treo and they have been fixed, but now I have a new Treo 755p (Sprint) that is doing the same thing.

c:\build\stoli\win32\release\build_52\gx\system\src\palm\gxdevicepalm.cpp:265
    GX_ASSERT in ffs2.cpp @ 1787

Occurs when Goodlink is launced at any time before or after other applications. It has been working fine for months.

There is no new ROM version avaliable, is the only hope to swap the phone?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123