1.    #1  
    Hi all,

My 600 GSM, after two years of reliable service, is finally giving up the ghost. I am looking for a replacement, and the 650, in theory, is ideal.

However, as it is a little overdue for an update, how many of you would still buy one today, just before the end of 2005, given that there are so many cool-sounding phones on the horizon? The Nokia N80 and 6270 sound great (no keyboard, but great features), even the Pocket PC phones (Motorola Q, HP 6700, HTC Wizard).

My concerns are the following:

1. Phone sound quality
    2. Bluetooth reliability/ usability
    3. Whether the latest revisions of the phone have solved some of the earlier problems (P button, for example)

I'm on T-Mobile, so ideally, I'd love to hear from GSM folk.

Many thanks,

- hoju
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoju
    Hi all,

My 600 GSM, after two years of reliable service, is finally giving up the ghost. I am looking for a replacement, and the 650, in theory, is ideal.

However, as it is a little overdue for an update, how many of you would still buy one today, just before the end of 2005, given that there are so many cool-sounding phones on the horizon? The Nokia N80 and 6270 sound great (no keyboard, but great features), even the Pocket PC phones (Motorola Q, HP 6700, HTC Wizard).

My concerns are the following:

1. Phone sound quality
    2. Bluetooth reliability/ usability
    3. Whether the latest revisions of the phone have solved some of the earlier problems (P button, for example)

I'm on T-Mobile, so ideally, I'd love to hear from GSM folk.

Many thanks,

- hoju
    I am on cingular, had the 650 since they released, first phone, no issues.
    Would not hesitate to buy again. Some will say wait for the anticipated 700p, but if you wait for the next phone to come out you will always be waiting, technology changes too fast. For me the 650 is the solution.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, cardio. I actually can't wait for the 700p, as my 600 is on its last legs.

Do you have any comments about the phone's sound quality? This is important for me, as I'm one of those people who gave up his landline, and solely exists with his lone Treo...

Thanks,

- hoju
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoju
    Thanks, cardio. I actually can't wait for the 700p, as my 600 is on its last legs.

Do you have any comments about the phone's sound quality? This is important for me, as I'm one of those people who gave up his landline, and solely exists with his lone Treo...

Thanks,

- hoju
    I have not had issues with sound quality, those that did used VolumeCare (search this board on that program) and a lot of people have reported that with the last upgrade the sound quality is improved to the point they no longer need VC.
    He's asking about sound quality, not sound volume.

Sound volume is great with 1.45, no issues there. Sound quality is good, but far from great.

BT implementation is rather poor (if you use multiple phones and/or multiple headsets expect connectivity issues.

What was wrong with the P button?

If you are looking for a phone Now, then the 650 is the way to go.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    I am also on T-Mobile primarily,and I would buy one today-in fact I bought a second one a few weeks ago after sending my original Treo back to Palm for repairs (found that the thought of being Treo-less,or using the old 600 didn't hold up,nor did getting a regular cell phone and PDA)-just recieved the replacement two days ago,so now I have two 650s :-). I use VolumeCare,and I can hear wonderfully-sometimes its too loud,sometimes its perfect for the busy streets of Manhattan,the quality is good,I have no complaints.

After years of rushing to get the latest and the greatest,I rarely wish to be on the bleeding edge of any technology,I still have some old wounds which prevent me from jumping in head first most of the time....
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillin_
    What was wrong with the P button?
    I had read several complaints from people saying the P button stuck, or was not tactile.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the responses. Looks like I will take the plunge... I do have all of that Palm software piled up too!

Now to find a good deal on one...

Regards,

- hoju
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I'm happy with my two week old 650 on TMob..
    I have loved my 650. I recently switched to a PPC phone, but miss my unbranded GSM treo for email (chatter). The bluetooth works great for DUN and headset use, although I wish it had voice dial built in. The problems people have are mostly from adding programs that don't act well together. I've often use my treo with TomTom giving me directions while playing MP3s and having Chatter running and haven't had any problems (other than being distracted driving).

(Cheap plug) If you want to buy an unbranded GSM treo 650, check out my listing at

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=101675