Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone,

By the way, please feel free to e-mail replies to me at renthead74@gmail.com . Thanks in advance for your help with the issues below…

I’m a clinical psychologist who has a vulnerability for gadgets. I have been researching the Treo 650 and Blackberry devices and have almost come to the conclusion that the Treo 650 might really be helpful in both my professional and personal lives. I have a few admittedly uneducated and possibly stupid questions about various aspects of the Treo. I’m hoping that members of this forum, whose posts I have perused and have already found illuminating, will be able to get me up to speed. As a professional working both in a private practice and a hospital setting, I hope to be able to use the Treo as a laptop that will travel with me very easily and do most things that I could do on a computer.

First, a question about carriers and unlocking: How do I get the right Treo 650 for my current carrier? I have T-Mobile, a carrier that foolishly does not offer the Treo anymore. I am contemplating buying either of the following: an unlocked Treo 650 from the Palm store (highest cost, least hassle, as it seems to me); an unlocked Treo 650 from Ebay; or a GSM Treo 650 from Cingular (also available thru Palm store). If I go Cingular, I was entertaining canceling a plan with Cingular, purchasing an unlock code from somewhere online or sending my new toy to one of those manual unlocking services. THESE OPTIONS RAISE A FEW ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS:

First, is there a difference in the unlocked Treo I would get from Palm versus that which I would get on Ebay? I couldn’t verify that the Ebay units come with Documents to Go (which I will need for office use), whereas the Palm store units appear to come with Docs to Go for sure. Also, will buying an Ebay Treo involve any risks regarding warranty and malfunction?

Is there a cheaper way to get an unlocked, brand-new, warrantied phone than paying the ~$600 price tag on the palm store?

Is it at all advisable to purchase a cingular Treo and contract, withdraw from my contract before the trial period ends and then find a way to either manually unlock the phone or use an unlocking procedure purchased from somewhere on the net?

Once the phone is unlocked, how do I know that my T-mobile SIM Card will fit into the phone? I have heard that there are 3- and 5-pronged SIM Cards. I don’t know which the Treo takes…

Does anyone on this forum use T-mobile with their Treo? What additional services do I need to obtain besides my ongoing phone minutes plan? How much are you T-Mobil-ers paying monthly? Do they have any plans for official businesses, such as a private practice?

Now, onto questions regarding more pragmatic issues related to the Treo 650:

My main question is, CAN I USE THE TREO 650 as a REPLACEMENT FOR A LAPTOP GENERALLY USED for LOW TECH COMPUTING NEEDS? Here is a list of some needs:

Word Processing (am I right in assuming that Documents to Go will allow me to edit Word Documents? Are there any catches to this premise?)

Spreadsheet (I track my clients’ accounts and overdue balances on MS EXCEL. I’m assuming I can view spreadsheets and perform basic accounting functions with Docs to Go? Again, any catches I need to be aware of? What is it like viewing documents on such a small screen?) *I will be maintaining use of a desktop machine at home, where I can do more in-depth accounting and spreadsheeting

Taking/Making Calls – main question is, if I am taking a call on a Bluetooth headset, can I access contacts, memos, emails and MS Office documents? Or, does the taking of a call disable all other functions of the Treo (i.e., do I still have to write things from phone calls on little sticky notes? Can I use a wireless or Bluetooth keyboard while taking a call?)

E-mail – ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTIONS I HAVE IS WHETHER THE TREO WORKS WELL WITH GOOGLE’s G-Mail Service!! Any members with experience with this issue? Do you g-mailers generally access your gmail through the web browser client? Is it possible to configure the Treo to use VersaMail to access gmail? How does Gmailing on Treo work with the label function? How does it work with filters?

How will using Treo for Gmail affect my accessing of Gmail on other computers, such as home PC or at a hospital? Will pulling email to Treo mean it is no longer available online? Looking for members’ experiences using POP3 and IMAP options with gmail on their Treos…

Printing – how much of an issue is it to print documents right from my Treo device? I have a basic all-in-one Dell printer in my private practice office. Is it possible to print a MS Word document directly to this printer? The printer is not Bluetooth, but it is USB. Any members with experience using Bluetooth-USB transfer cables? What about the printer drivers? In this situation, would I be better served by a Windows Mobile-type smartphone? If so, any suggestions for a phone with as good a reputation/reviews as the Treo?

Anyone aware of any medical/healthcare applications for the Treo? Might there be an application for storing client information, such as a brief history, diagnosis and treatment plan for later transfer to my home PC?

BROWSING WEB – How does web browsing on a treo deviate from the experience of using Mozilla on a home computer? Are there graphics or streaming data that I would not experience? How often would this apply in average, everyday use (e.g., checking sports scores on Yahoo or Google, looking up directions on Mapquest, accessing a university’s web pages, what about accessing this forum)? Does the Treo 650 web browser accommodate Java? How “viewable” are the web pages? Can you actually read the text on most pages?

LISTENING TO MUSIC/RADIO – When the time is available, I like to listen to mp3s or internet radio. How would these functions be supported on the Treo? I use itunes, so most of my music is either in AAC or MP3 format. What would the best way be to import these files?

Some cell phone-oriented questions:

Can I assign different ringtones to different groups (e.g., family, friends, colleagues, clients, restaurants)?
    If there are different groups that can be assigned, can I configure phone so that it only rings during certain times for calls from particular groups (e.g., during sessions with clients, only allow client calls to come thru, but not friends)?
    Can I choose mp3 files for ringtones?
    How is the vibrate function?
    Is there a silent mode? Can the phone just give off a light indicator when a call comes thru so as not to disturb a session in progress?
    I get rotten cell reception in my hospital building. Can I still use the treo functions (e.g., contacts and calendar) if I am not able to actually make a call?
    How does cell reception affect internet access? Are these two separate dimensions?

Some memory questions:

How much memory do people find they need? What would I possibly need a 1GB SD card for? Might 512MB be enough for storing a few songs, a few Word template files, a few spreadsheets? Do Office Docs created thru DocstoGo take up more memory than they do on a regular PC?

Can I buy a SD Card from any retailer or do I need to use actual Palm cards? Where do you find cheap cards? Are their any corruption or reliability concerns?

Are there preferences among members for the Palm OS versus Windows Mobile platform? Why?

Some Bluetooth questions:

What Bluetooth format does Treo use? Does this matter in terms of compatibility with most devices?

What Bluetooth headset do you recommend? What features should I be thinking about?

Anyone with experience with Bluetooth keyboards? How long does the battery power last? Can I use the Treo with both a Bluetooth keyboard and my headset at the same time? (e.g., type a progress note and be able to take a call if it comes in).

What about the wireless infrared keyboard? Any member with experience? How is the keyboard powered? Is it something that needs to be recharged?

Thanks for all your help with these newbie questions. Again, please feel free to e-mail your replies to: renthead74@gmail.com .

Take care,

Mark
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    yes
    LOL, I was thinking of post the same answer.

Really, most of the answers are yes. Not sure about the Gmail if used with Chatter. Yes to mp3's and streaming with PocketTunes Deluxe.
    Only if the Treo 650 wants to be bought first.
    yes, no, yes, no, no, 42, yes, no, yes, hot pants, yes, no, no, only if she's over 18, and no...

Good grief. i think I may need your services after glancing over that. Some general advice... split up your questions into several posts. I doubt many people are going to take the time to read that entire post and answer all questions. By splitting it up, you'll have a better chance at people actually reading it and more responses. Maybe try splitting each of your "categories" into a seperate post if you don't get many replies.
    Good grief. i think I may need your services after glancing over that. Some general advice... split up your questions into several posts. I doubt many people are going to take the time to read that entire post and answer all questions. By splitting it up, you'll have a better chance at people actually reading it and more responses. Maybe try splitting each of your "categories" into a seperate post if you don't get many replies.
    Might also be a good idea to browse these forums. Read the FAQ's. Most of the answers have been discussed and are on the first page or two of the threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAKozicki
    Only if the Treo 650 wants to be bought first.
    Now I'll give you a serious answer. I can't hope to answer all of your questions and still make a living this week, but I can tell you that I am an attorney with a thriving litigation practice and it is embarassing how much I have come to rely on this little piece of technology. Since the 1.17 Cingular software upgrade, I have become even more dependent, because the device is so stable and functions exaclty as it should. It is like an electronic Swiss Army knife. As far as the applicability to the Medical field goes, I have many friends who use the Palm operating system in their medical practices and absolutly swear by them. For me, it is all about having virtually all of my practice informantion in my pocket, where ever I am. I am even able to do legal research on line, through the internet. I don't know if the 650 can replace a computer all together, that prospect is too scary. I do know that I don't own a laptop and don't have any future plans to buy on, mostly because I can do most of what I would do on a laptop on the Treo. I have found the Treo to be compatable with most Bluetooth devices, except the Jabra BT 800. I, personally use the Sony HBH-300, and have found most of my clients do not know I am speaking to them on a cell phone. This device allows me to be both professional and mobile. I know that I could not have practiced the way I do now ten years ago. This device allows me to be a successful lawyer, and also do a respectable job as a husband and a father of three teenagers. I can, in essence, be in two places at once. At the baseball game and in my "virtual" Treo office. I have a locked Treo on Cingular and am in the Chicago metro area. I used to have a Kyocera 7135 on Verizon. I have been on Cingular about a year and found that I got more for my money with Cingular. The service on Cingular is about as good or slightly better than Verizon. I'd check with friends and relatives that use Cingular in your area and see if they are happy with the service. Most of the people in this area who have Verizon and Cingular are pretty happy with their service, but I've found that one carrier may be great in one area, but awful in another. Personally, I was still able to make calls in Dillon, Colorado and in Frazier, Colorado. I was suprised. In summary, ( I really sound like a litigator, don't I) I really like this phone and can't imagine working with out it. I think you should buy one.
  8.    #8  
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your humorous and helpful replies. I'll keep the feedback in mind for future posts and make sure that I keep my "free associations" (sorry, hard to avoid talking shop) more to a minimum. I'll be sure to split up my questions.

The responses I have received here, as well as via e-mail, have helped me move closer to making a decision. I intend to buy a treo 650 very soon (am thinking of waiting to see if there will be a drop in price for the unbranded unlocked model in '06 upon release of the 700w).

Take care and happy holidays to all,

M
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by renthead74
    Hi Everyone,

By the way, please feel free to e-mail replies to me at renthead74@gmail.com . Thanks in advance for your help with the issues below…

I’m a clinical psychologist who has a vulnerability for gadgets. I have been researching the Treo 650 and Blackberry devices and have almost come to the conclusion that the Treo 650 might really be helpful in both my professional and personal lives. I have a few admittedly uneducated and possibly stupid questions about various aspects of the Treo. I’m hoping that members of this forum, whose posts I have perused and have already found illuminating, will be able to get me up to speed. As a professional working both in a private practice and a hospital setting, I hope to be able to use the Treo as a laptop that will travel with me very easily and do most things that I could do on a computer.

First, a question about carriers and unlocking: How do I get the right Treo 650 for my current carrier? I have T-Mobile, a carrier that foolishly does not offer the Treo anymore. I am contemplating buying either of the following: an unlocked Treo 650 from the Palm store (highest cost, least hassle, as it seems to me); an unlocked Treo 650 from Ebay; or a GSM Treo 650 from Cingular (also available thru Palm store). If I go Cingular, I was entertaining canceling a plan with Cingular, purchasing an unlock code from somewhere online or sending my new toy to one of those manual unlocking services.
    THESE OPTIONS RAISE A FEW ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS:
    I would say get a new palm branded unlocked 650.

First, is there a difference in the unlocked Treo I would get from Palm versus that which I would get on Ebay? I couldn’t verify that the Ebay units come with Documents to Go (which I will need for office use), whereas the Palm store units appear to come with Docs to Go for sure. Also, will buying an Ebay Treo involve any risks regarding warranty and malfunction?
    Stick with a new unbranded phone, warranty concerns.

Is there a cheaper way to get an unlocked, brand-new, warrantied phone than paying the ~$600 price tag on the palm store?
    Yes, but be very careful and make sure it is a Palm branded one(i.e. not Cingular).

Is it at all advisable to purchase a cingular Treo and contract, withdraw from my contract before the trial period ends and then find a way to either manually unlock the phone or use an unlocking procedure purchased from somewhere on the net?
    See above.

Does anyone on this forum use T-mobile with their Treo? What additional services do I need to obtain besides my ongoing phone minutes plan? How much are you T-Mobil-ers paying monthly? Do they have any plans for official businesses, such as a private practice?
    Search for this answer on TreoCentral.

Now, onto questions regarding more pragmatic issues related to the Treo 650:

My main question is, CAN I USE THE TREO 650 as a REPLACEMENT FOR A LAPTOP GENERALLY USED for LOW TECH COMPUTING NEEDS? Here is a list of some needs:
    Somewhat.

Word Processing (am I right in assuming that Documents to Go will allow me to edit Word Documents? Are there any catches to this premise?)

Spreadsheet (I track my clients’ accounts and overdue balances on MS EXCEL. I’m assuming I can view spreadsheets and perform basic accounting functions with Docs to Go? Again, any catches I need to be aware of? What is it like viewing documents on such a small screen?) *I will be maintaining use of a desktop machine at home, where I can do more in-depth accounting and spreadsheeting
    Docs2Go should take care of all these for you, but catch I can see is you are going to need a external keyboard.

Taking/Making Calls – main question is, if I am taking a call on a Bluetooth headset, can I access contacts, memos, emails and MS Office documents? Or, does the taking of a call disable all other functions of the Treo (i.e., do I still have to write things from phone calls on little sticky notes? Can I use a wireless or Bluetooth keyboard while taking a call?)
    I access info all the time while on a Bluetooth headset. No Probs here. Just You won't be able to use the internet while on phone, I think. Or is that just CDMA models, I am sure someone will correct me.

E-mail – ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTIONS I HAVE IS WHETHER THE TREO WORKS WELL WITH GOOGLE’s G-Mail Service!! Any members with experience with this issue? Do you g-mailers generally access your gmail through the web browser client? Is it possible to configure the Treo to use VersaMail to access gmail? How does Gmailing on Treo work with the label function? How does it work with filters?
    I know there are quite a few folks around here using gMail quite fine. I would do a search here on TreoCentral for more detailed info.

Printing – how much of an issue is it to print documents right from my Treo device? I have a basic all-in-one Dell printer in my private practice office. Is it possible to print a MS Word document directly to this printer? The printer is not Bluetooth, but it is USB. Any members with experience using Bluetooth-USB transfer cables? What about the printer drivers? In this situation, would I be better served by a Windows Mobile-type smartphone? If so, any suggestions for a phone with as good a reputation/reviews as the Treo?
    There are programs that print to printers but they generally use IR and bluetooth. I would say get a SD Card Reader or CardExport. This way you can transfer files between computers and print form your SD card.

Anyone aware of any medical/healthcare applications for the Treo? Might there be an application for storing client information, such as a brief history, diagnosis and treatment plan for later transfer to my home PC?
    My wife is in your profession and getting PsyD and she uses the DSM-IV is it? Well none the less see has the whole DSM on her Treo and I think it allows you to take notes and such. But you could always use Docs2Go to keep client info in order.

BROWSING WEB – How does web browsing on a treo deviate from the experience of using Mozilla on a home computer? Are there graphics or streaming data that I would not experience? How often would this apply in average, everyday use (e.g., checking sports scores on Yahoo or Google, looking up directions on Mapquest, accessing a university’s web pages, what about accessing this forum)? Does the Treo 650 web browser accommodate Java? How “viewable” are the web pages? Can you actually read the text on most pages?
    Surfing the web on a Treo is a pure utilitarian exercise for me. I use it to grab quick info from some of my predetermined websites. I would say you can get by surfing but, not fun.

LISTENING TO MUSIC/RADIO – When the time is available, I like to listen to mp3s or internet radio. How would these functions be supported on the Treo? I use itunes, so most of my music is either in AAC or MP3 format. What would the best way be to import these files?
    I am not too sure if AAC will work but MP3 should. I use the streaming internet radio more than anything else. Search for a program called pTunes.

Some cell phone-oriented questions:

Can I assign different ringtones to different groups (e.g., family, friends, colleagues, clients, restaurants)?
    Yes, search for a program called Ringo.
    If there are different groups that can be assigned, can I configure phone so that it only rings during certain times for calls from particular groups (e.g., during sessions with clients, only allow client calls to come thru, but not friends)?
    'Call Filter' Search for it.
    Can I choose mp3 files for ringtones?
    Ringo.
    How is the vibrate function?
    Eehh.
    Is there a silent mode? Can the phone just give off a light indicator when a call comes thru so as not to disturb a session in progress?
    Ringer Switch on top of the phone.
    I get rotten cell reception in my hospital building. Can I still use the treo functions (e.g., contacts and calendar) if I am not able to actually make a call?
    Yes.
    How does cell reception affect internet access? Are these two separate dimensions?
    No phone=No internet.

[quote]Some memory questions:

How much memory do people find they need? What would I possibly need a 1GB SD card for? Might 512MB be enough for storing a few songs, a few Word template files, a few spreadsheets? Do Office Docs created thru DocstoGo take up more memory than they do on a regular PC?

Can I buy a SD Card from any retailer or do I need to use actual Palm cards? Where do you find cheap cards? Are their any corruption or reliability concerns?[quote]Get a 2 gig SD card form eBay. That's it. Well you might to look into a program called 'PoweRun' later on when you use up the Palm's internal memory.

Are there preferences among members for the Palm OS versus Windows Mobile platform? Why?
    Search for it.

Some Bluetooth questions:

What Bluetooth format does Treo use? Does this matter in terms of compatibility with most devices?
    BT 1.1 as opposed to BT 1.2. So the Treo has implementation 1.1 of BT. I shouldn't matter to most devices.

What Bluetooth headset do you recommend? What features should I be thinking about?
    I myself have a HBH-600. Search for it.

Anyone with experience with Bluetooth keyboards? How long does the battery power last? Can I use the Treo with both a Bluetooth keyboard and my headset at the same time? (e.g., type a progress note and be able to take a call if it comes in).
    If it is anything like any of my other BT toys it should work just fine, no problems.

What about the wireless infrared keyboard? Any member with experience? How is the keyboard powered? Is it something that needs to be recharged?
    Go with a BT this way you don't have to the KB's IR emitter pointed at the Treo's IR port.

Thanks for all your help with these newbie questions. Again, please feel free to e-mail your replies to: renthead74@gmail.com .

Take care,

Mark
    your welcome.

Wheeeeeeh.
    Well, it looks like our time is up.. we'll see you again next week
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    NRG,

You have the patience of a saint...

- hoju
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    NRG, did you charge by the hour for that reply? Very well done though, that is what this forum is really about, helping to make an informed choice.
    I see NRG already made a reply by the time I am done. Anyhow, this will echo some of his, others, you will see a different point of view. By the way, I would charge for the hour but for the fact that I am waiting on my computer to finish other things... (And he asks so nicely...)
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "First, a question about carriers and unlocking..."

Totally your choice. Best bet is to get the GSM unlock from PalmOne. There are cases reported by users here that when you return your phone for service, it came back locked. Also, if you cancel the contract with Cingular, you don't get to keep the Treo. I was at the store when another try to do exactly that. She was ask to pay the full price (PalmOne price) for the locked/crippled Treo.

"..Documents to Go .."
    Cingular treo also comes with Doc to Go; they are not the latest premium which includes PDF. It does do excel, word, powerpoint.

"...how do I know that my T-mobile SIM Card works with Treo..."
    I use both SIMs on my Treo, it works just fine. I switched SIMs between Cingular, Proxima (Belgium), T-Mobile, China Mobile no problem.

"...Does anyone on this forum use T-mobile with their Treo? What additional services do I need ..."
    I have T-Mobile Internet, which is about $20/mo. I understand T-Mobile changed their service lately. T-Mo internet, T-Zone, whatever, you do need a data plan. Preferrably the unlimited one.

"... Do they have any plans for official businesses, such as a private practice?..."
    Yeah, T-Mobile have a small business plan. $65 for two lines. Additional for those extras such as data plan, Blackberry, etc. Additional lines are $10 each. Again, T-Mo might have changed their offering but plans available a month ago is a good guide to what they may have today.

"..Spreadsheet (I track my clients’ accounts and overdue balances .."
    Doc To Go should do a nice job for you. I suggest you put those on an SD card so it doesn't get corrupted should the phone fail such as crashing on you which happens at times - not often, but it does happen.

"...taking/making calls...write things down...bluetooth keyboard..."
    When on a call, you can use other PDA function such as memo (notes). With the BT headset, that makes it fairly easy. ***Not sure about BT keyboard however*** BT keyboard may not work with BT headset too well.

"...G-Mail Service..."
    This one I have no idea. The included Versamail does POP3 standard. If G-Mail support pop3, it should work ok.

"...Printing ..."
    BT or USB cable give you the hardware connection. You need the software to know what to do with the bits coming over. Be it Palm or Windows Mobile, you will need the printer driver for your PDA-printer combo. Unlikely you can get that. You may need a laptop for that.

"...browsing the web..."
    It will be a disappointment for you. With the reduced resolution (320x320), it isn't so good. Most pages are designed for 800x600 and up. Framed pages are particularly bad.

"...LISTENING TO MUSIC/RADIO..."
    MP3 is fine. Not sure about radio.

"...Can I assign different ringtones to different groups..."
    Native (no other add on apps): Known and unknown (in your contact or not) can have different tone/mid file. Plus, if they are in your favorites (50 favoriates max), they can have their individual tone.

"Vibrate...Silent..."
    Vibrate mod is like many other vibrate phones, not much to it. There is a one-switch to put the phone to quiet mode on the top.

"...Can I still use the treo functions (e.g., contacts and calendar) if I am not able to actually make a call?..."
    Yes. Here is in my view Treo's biggest draw back. It is very temperamental when the signal is weak. It hangs or reboots in my experience. I understand it is far more stable if you turn off the auto time update via the network - since it would not need to keep looking for the non-existing signal. Never tried however. Of course, you can turn off the phone and use PDA function alone too thereby unaffected by good or bad phone signal.

"...What would I possibly need a 1GB SD card for?..."
    You did say you want to listen to MP3, right? If so, go for the 2gb card! And then there are pictures you may want to keep...

"...SD Card from any retailer..."
    Any SD card will do. Standard SD, not the mini.

"...preferences among members for the Palm OS versus Windows Mobile platform..."
    This is darn near a religion here. Best summed up by another member, "Treo is a PDA+Phone, where as, Sprint's 6700 (Win Mobile) is a computer+phone" My experience is, increase in flexibility increases complexity. Increase in complexity decreases reliability. If PDA function is all you need, stick with that. But if you want to replace a laptop, you are seeking more then mere PDA function. Your choice...

"...Bluetooth format does Treo use..."
    BT 1.1. It appears to be rather compatible with what I have tried. However, connecting two devices is always a hit and miss. Some with Motorola BT headset cannot connect. Some cannot connect Treo to their car. It could be problems at either end, but this technology, like any other, is imperfect. I use Treo headset. Least problem, plus, same charger for both.

"...Bluetooth keyboards..."
    No experience, other can fill in.

"..wireless infrared keyboard..recharge..."
    Advice to you is don't use infrared. Infrared is "line of sight" only and the Treo's IR is too weak for reflected signal to work. Put a cup of coffee at the wrong spot and your connection is gone. Like any other wireless devices, it got to have power. Recharge or not depends on the keyboard you buy.

--------------------------------------------

Finally, nothing like real live experience. Why not go to Cingular to get one and try for 15 days. It will answer a lot of your questions, and put you in solid ground when you do decide. Note however, make sure you can return everything without penalty before you take it out of the store.

Rick
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    ... and the award for most posts that well exceed my attention span goes to....

seriously - there is a lot of info and fun to be had from visiting often and browsing through the new posts. I consider myself pretty savvy, and am always amazed at how much information I get from what others are willing to share.

More importantly, you will probably be able to assist us with this Treo disease we have, your being a professional and all.... (start a poll that asks what is the average distance your Treo is from you through the course of 24 hours, and you'll see what I mean)
    sometimes a treo is just a treo
    I am also a psychologist and use my Treo 650 daily. I'd be lost without it. I see folks in my office as well as hospitals and nursing facilities. The Treo will do most of what you ask. There are a few good programs which will enable you to do documentation and billing on the Treo. they can be found on Handango in the medical section. There is another program which should be available soon (ChartEvolve) which is currently available for Mac and WinPC platforms. They are finishing up a Palm implementation. I use it in my office and am inpressed with it - takes a while to set up but once done, is easy and efficient to use. I expect the Palm version to be equally useful. I'd recommend a Bluetooth keyboard - Works well with Docs2Go (get the premium edition). The IR keyboards have some problems which they either cannot or will not take the time to fix. SD cards are cheap and can be bought most anywhere. I think 2G is the largest size that will work with the Treo (someone will correct me if I am wrong.). Printing with the Teo can be done with the IR or Bluetooth solutions already noted. I find it easier to sync with my office computer and print what I need there. The facilities I work with are reluctant to let an "outsider" have access to their printer networks. As has been noted, internet/email service is dependant on the availability of a signal from your carrier (I use Sprint since their unlimited data plan is cheap ($10/month with a $5 credit for using electronic billing and payment via credit card). Gmail works without (Snappermail will check and retrieve mail regularly if you like.) The Gmail remains available for viewing until you actively archive it from the desktop/laptop computer.

Hope this helps.
    I think I need a psychologist after reading this thread. My brain hurts
    How many psychologists are needed to change a Treo ?
    Quote Originally Posted by renthead74
    Hi Everyone,

First, a question about carriers and unlocking: How do I get the right Treo 650 for my current carrier? I have T-Mobile, a carrier that foolishly does not offer the Treo anymore. I am contemplating buying either of the following: an unlocked Treo 650 from the Palm store (highest cost, least hassle, as it seems to me); an unlocked Treo 650 from Ebay; or a GSM Treo 650 from Cingular (also available thru Palm store). If I go Cingular, I was entertaining canceling a plan with Cingular, purchasing an unlock code from somewhere online or sending my new toy to one of those manual unlocking services. THESE OPTIONS RAISE A FEW ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS:

Go with Palm unbranded unlocked Treo 650 directly from Palm. I use mine with T-Mobile. I had to get a replacement because the audio socket broke. The first thing they ask is where and when did you buy it. If you get it from eBay there is no warrenty!

There is an online reseller others in this forum has purchased from who sells unbarnded unlocked treo for a little less and also sells 3 year warrenty.

Once the phone is unlocked, how do I know that my T-mobile SIM Card will fit into the phone? I have heard that there are 3- and 5-pronged SIM Cards. I don’t know which the Treo takes…
    I have never heard of 3 and 5 pronged SIMs. My T-Mobile SIM worked without any extra effort.

I use Treo with T-Mobile. You will probably need a data plan. If you just want to surf web, instant messege using verichat, read and send email, and get driving directions. T-Zone (Now T-Mobile Web) is fine. If you want to listen to streaming audio (shoutcast) then you will need full unlimited internet.

Yes, Documents to Go (DG) will allow you to edit Word files. There are a few catches. Not all functions are supported. For example if you use equation editor to write mathematical equations in word, they won't show in DG. So you won't be able to edit them.

This should be fine.

Talking and working on contacts memo etc. works. However, Treo cannot handle two Bluetooth at a time. So you won't be able to use a bluetooth headset and a Bluetooth keyboard at the same time.

I use gmail with versamail and home PC. In general it works. The problem is gmail impliments keping mail in server in its own querky way. If I check mail using POP from home PC, then the mail in gmail gets tagged as already downloaded and won't download again into the Treo and vice versa.

This is a problem because Versamail cannot save mail in SD card so eventually I have to delete the mail from the Treo. I prefer to download my mail both to my home PC and to my Treo. Then I delete the copy from the Treo. To do this, I forward my gmail mail to a second account and point Versamail to fetch mail from there. The outgoing mail goes via the primary gmail account. The "from" shows the gmail account. This setup allows my home PC to download from gmail a copy of replies I write from Treo too.

Gmail is set to forward all mail except those from myself to the second account using filter. Versamail downloads the mail and doesn't care about lebels and other nice things we have in the web interface of gmail.

Alternately you can use the Blazer Web browser to check your gmail from the web. I don't do that as Blazer does not support all the nice things gmail provides either.

How will using Treo for Gmail affect my accessing of Gmail on other computers, such as home PC or at a hospital? Will pulling email to Treo mean it is no longer available online? Looking for members’ experiences using POP3 and IMAP options with gmail on their Treos…
    If you just use the web interface to read gmail using your office and home computer and never use a POP client like Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird to download email from gmail then all should be fine. Your email will remain in the gmail server even after Versamail downloads a copy into Treo. Your replies from Treo will also be stored in the gmail's server and will be available to you via web from your office and home PC.

The problem arises only if you try to use two or more POP clients (say Thunderbird and Versamail) on a single gmail account. Then only you will need a second account and to forward all emails from first to second as I described above. Gmail does not support IMAP.

Blazer can handle pictures and javascripts. It does not do Java out of the box. It cannot open multiple pages at the same time. I have used it for directions (mapquest) and accessing regular web pages and its pretty good in terms of readability of text and viewability of pictures. I have even used to it access my online banking page and checked balance etc.

Treo comes with a lite vesion of realplayer that plays mp3 files but does not do streaming audio from the net! There are other software you can buy. As far as I know none can handle itune DRMs. So mp3s are OK AAC may not be.

GSM Treos handle voice calls and data better than CDMA Treos. That said, I have had incoming voice calls go to voicemail when I was surfing the web.

Can I buy a SD Card from any retailer or do I need to use actual Palm cards? Where do you find cheap cards? Are their any corruption or reliability concerns?
    Buy the biggest and the fastest you can afford. Any brand is fine. Fast cards are useful if you want to record voice memos directly into the card.

I hope that was useful. I don't have anything to add to the questions I have skipped.
    Prio Treo
    Unlocked Unbranded Treo 650 on T-Mobile-T-Zone
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Get a pocket pc phone from sprint the one with wifi and keyboard its really nice.
    The treo will freeze and will make you crazy.

I would recommed it if the software was stable.
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast