1.    #1  
    I am considering purchasing a Db platform for my VPl. I've scoured the internet for reviews of ThinkDb and HandDbase, but I've yet to find a comparison review. I am typically very judicious with my palm software purchases and so I'd like to see if there is a consensus about which relational database product is the most prudent buy. If you have experience with both, please respond to the following:

1.) Which Db (think or hand) is put together better? (e.g., bugs, updates, functional integrity, etc.)

2.) Which Db is more cost-effective?

3.) Which Db has more potential in terms of the development side?

4.) Finally, what is your overall impression of both Dbs in terms of usability, plug-in compatibility, features and sophistication?

Thanks to anyone who can contribute any of the above information.
    Originally posted by saawfish
    1.) Which Db (think or hand) is put together better? (e.g., bugs, updates, functional integrity, etc.)
    Hi,

I can really only answer this question. Here is what I did:

1. with the intention of creating a db to track my hours (i work freelance) and calculate how much i'm owed, i downloaded thinkdb (not the new version that is in beta--but the fully released version).

2. i read the manual.

3. i created the app.

4. it did not work.

5. i posted what i thought was a bug to the thinkdb message board and also emailed their tech support inquiring about whether this aspect of the software was buggy.

6. i checked back to the message board a few days later and found out that in fact, thinkdb was buggy. what i was trying to do was get thinkdb to take my end time and subtract my start time and therefore get a total time and multply it by the billable amount. thinkdb has a bug when it comes to dealing with time fields. the person posting this information did post a workaround but it was far too complicated for me to understand.

7. i downloaded handybase to try and create the same app.

8. made it in 15 minutes and it worked properly.

9. i found what i thought was another bug in handybase... but it was more a cosmetic one--something i thought should work a certain way and it didn't. i emailed handybase tech support.

10. my app still worked the way i wanted it to, regardless of the "bug".

11. handybase mailed me back the next day explaining why the software worked a certain way (and not the way i originally thought it should). the explanation was clear--and it was obvious that the way the designers made it work was in fact more useful than the way i thought it should.

12. i registered handybase.

to this day (about a month after downloading thinkdb), thinkdb has not answered my query about the bug.

in addition, handybase, in my opinion has a considerably better manual than thinkdb, which was convoluted.

the only thing i actually preferred about thinkdb was that it allows you to create a db with tabs--something handybase does not. mind you, this is merely a cosmetic peeve.

as someone who truly appreciates a well written manual--not to mention a tech support who at least acknowledges you with a reply, i would recommend you get handybase.

yours,

mc.