1.    #1  
    I just ordered and received the bluetooth GPS receiver from Inter-Active Information. They shipped quickly and I am very pleased with the item. It works perfectly with my 650 and Tomtom. I shopped for a long time before buying this item and for $69 I know I got a great deal!

http://www.inter-activeinformation.com
    Our GPS receivers are built with NEMERIX chipsets
    Nemerix chipset? I thought the best ones were Sirf?
    Quote Originally Posted by WildCard
    Nemerix chipset? I thought the best ones were Sirf?
    Sirf III to be exact.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    I would not buy anything that does not use the SiRF III chipset. The cost savings with an older chipset isn't worth it.
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    What software are you using?
    I used the Mapopolis NavCard. While it isn't as nice visually as TomTom, the lack of install issues and need for separate SD card were the clincher for me.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    Could someone explain the differences for those of us (like me) that aren't sure what the differences in the two chipsets are?
    Zach Roberts
    Director - Lifeless People Networks Ltd.
    http://www.lifelesspeople.com/ - Pay by Post™ Webhosting
    Different companies make them...sort of like Intel vs AMD...

In this case SIRF III chipsets are generally regarded as more accurate and faster to acquire signals (also since they've been in the business longer they usually have less quirks). Nemerix is trying to win out on price, but with something like this I'd recommend paying the premium for a unit with SIRF III (at least until Nemerix has a little more experience under their belt)
    Can you recommend a cheap (less than $100) bluetooth GPS receiver with a SIRF III chipset?
    Zach Roberts
    Director - Lifeless People Networks Ltd.
    http://www.lifelesspeople.com/ - Pay by Post™ Webhosting
    They hover @ $100+ (main difference being battery life and a couple odds and ends).

A good place to buy from is http://www.semsons.com/bluetgpsrec.html

and all of the Sirf III are labeled...Looks like the HI-406 just sneaks below $100 and has decent battery life (~8 hours)
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I'll put a plug in for BuyGPSNow.com (no affiliation). Ordered from them once, had a couple friends do the same, we're all very happy. They're also on eBay with seller id buygpsnow*com, which is how I bought. My personal choice for a SirfStar III chipset BT GPS would be the OnCourse BT GPS. It's the newer version of the venerable GlobalSat BT-338 which I have been EXTREMEMLY happy with. Over 15 hrs. of battery life, and the auto-off function makes life easy. They were selling the OnCourse on eBay for $99 a few days ago...
  12.    #12  
    I am aware of the sirf recommendations. I purchased this one and find it to be as fast and accurate as my friend's unit with sirf III. We just drove from NY to Canada with both of our Treos and our GPS units both running TomTom side by side. They were equally accurate although his needed to be recharged....mine is still running fine on the original charge. Sirf, smurf...I wanted cheap and functional and that's exactly what I got.
    SirfStar III chipsets are recommended not only because of their speed and accuracy, but also because of their sensitivity. A lot of the older chipsets have problems in urban areas where tall buildings interfere with the strength of the satellite signal. SirfStar III chipsets are very sensitive and generally do not lose the signal in urban areas.

Personally, I need a sensitive chipset, like SirfStar III, where I drive. If I only drove in rural areas, it wouldn't matter as much.