1.    #1  
    due to the fact that the treo 650 does not support an SD card over 4gb, I want to perhaps use mp3pro format files (some say at 64kbps, mp3pro files are still CD quality) if pocket tunes supports it.

does pocket tunes support mp3pro ? Or perhaps another audio player for palm supports mp3pro?

Maybe I should re-encode my 192kbps MP3's to OGG - I hear 64kbps or 96kbps is good. Any ideas?
    Last edited by AltarEgo; 12/08/2005 at 12:31 AM.
    "Living is the only thing worth dying for."
  2.    #2  
    Ok, after some reasearch, I concluded that while ptunes does support mp3pro, it doesn't support it fully.

Now, I decided to give OGG Vorbis a try. What I did was convert a 192kbps MP3 to 64kbps (constant bit rate) OGG Vorbis format using a program called ACE-HIGH MP3 WAV WMA OGG (which converts between those formats, to and from). I then played the converted OGG file in Winamp and it sounds EXCELLENT (though hearing quality varies person to person, result was surprising - and I even played the original MP3 and converted OGG file back to back)! The file size was 1/3 the size of the original MP3 (a 7:43 min sont @ 64kbs OGG file was 3,769kbps in size).

Very good news for those of us with 2gb (or even smaller) Secure Digital cards, and a great workaround for palm's 2gb Secure Digital card limit

now once I get a headphone adaptor for my Treo 650, I will test it with pTunes.
    "Living is the only thing worth dying for."
    ogg is great
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    PLUS: ogg is open-source, and therefore FREE! And you can use Aeroplayer with ogg files for FREE too!!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I've also found WMA-VBR works pretty good (much better than MP3)..VBR 50-95Kbps sounds ok...The benefit of that is you can do it directly from WMPlayer via the Ptunes interface

I havent messed with OGG though (My wife has a Window Mobile phone so the WMA can sync to both and has better quality/size than MP3)